FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you cook?

Solon_Poledourus
I saw a few topics on favorite foods and such, but I'm curious about what people like to cook, or what recipes people have "invented" recently. I love to cook, and I always try to create new things. This very moment, I am eating a Mahi-Mahi Omelette. A basic 3 egg omelette with chucks of pan-sauteed Mahi-Mahi inside. I have to say, it's quite tasty.
What have you come up with recently? And what is your favorite personal culinary creation?
guissmo
I don't know how to cook but if I had extra time I'd gladly learn how to.
It seems to be a fun hobby but it's kinda expensive when experimenting.
silverdown
I am the main person to cook in my house, breakfast, lunch and dinner..... I learned all my cooking from my grandmother. I also enjoy cooking as well and no i don't have a cookbook however my grams does Laughing .
vineeth
I cook light dishes using eggs and wheat, tea, juices etc.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I saw a few topics on favorite foods and such, but I'm curious about what people like to cook, or what recipes people have "invented" recently. I love to cook, and I always try to create new things. This very moment, I am eating a Mahi-Mahi Omelette. A basic 3 egg omelette with chucks of pan-sauteed Mahi-Mahi inside. I have to say, it's quite tasty.
What have you come up with recently? And what is your favorite personal culinary creation?

What else is in the Mahi-Mahi Omelette, and how does one get hold of the fish? Or is it fresh from the ocean? Smile
Jamatu
I like to cook although i'm not very inventive at the minute as I don't cook that often and go with what I know. It doesn't help that I get my meals cooked for me either Razz

I think i might set a day aside where I do the cooking and see how it goes Very Happy
Zombie
I don't usually cook. I actually try to avoid it at all costs.... but, when I do cook, everyone says it's terrific... Although, they're probably just being nice Shocked
Libby
I love to cook!!

I like experimenting with ramen noodles. They're so cheap that it's not too bad if you mess up and ruin them. I always throw away the spice packet first thing and substitute my own. I used to stir fry vegetables with lots of spices and throw them on top, and it was delicious!! But then i realized it was really silly of my to go to all that trouble. So now I just chop up the veggies and throw them in the water while I wait for it to boil. The veggies get cooked in a healthier way and it's a little faster and there's less mess. Then after the noodles are cooked I strain them out of the water and poach an egg and put the egg on top of all the noodle and veggies and the yolk makes a really really yummy broth.

I could save myself a lot of trouble and just look up a recipe but that would just take all the fun out of it!!

Yay ramen!
deanhills
Libby wrote:
I love to cook!!

I like experimenting with ramen noodles. They're so cheap that it's not too bad if you mess up and ruin them. I always throw away the spice packet first thing and substitute my own. I used to stir fry vegetables with lots of spices and throw them on top, and it was delicious!! But then i realized it was really silly of my to go to all that trouble. So now I just chop up the veggies and throw them in the water while I wait for it to boil. The veggies get cooked in a healthier way and it's a little faster and there's less mess. Then after the noodles are cooked I strain them out of the water and poach an egg and put the egg on top of all the noodle and veggies and the yolk makes a really really yummy broth.

I could save myself a lot of trouble and just look up a recipe but that would just take all the fun out of it!!

Yay ramen!
Sounds like a neat idea. What kind of veggies do you chop up, and do you add any salt or spices to it?
Vladalf
I love to cook! I allways bake my special fried potatoes recipe, I bake bread and biscuits and wheats.
Vladk
Mrs Lycos
Hmm I think i like to cook pretty much, i specially cook cakes and cookies. I did it a time when i was 12 and from them i do every cake for every birthday in my house Rolling Eyes ( i dont do mine ) Laughing
But we are like 5 in house so when a bithday comes im thinking "what can i make?" My family says that its yummy :O
i love to do chocolate cake Razz
I remember one time when i forgot to put sugar in the cake Shocked and my family was like --- > O.o" Laughing
apple
I love to cook...and since I am the one most responsible for preparing meals at my home (unless I am tired)...it works out well.

I do a lot of curries, pasta is a fav for us and stews.
My husband loves rice and a lot of yam like stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_(vegetable)
My son loves ramen (i hate it however).
My granny loves sada roti and long beans or pumpkin (any type of veggie she can get).
I like breads..so when I get the time I bake a lot. Cakes, sweet breads, cookies, muffins, white bread, coconut bake.

lol...I guess I cook a lot! hahahaaa
mwsupra
Yea I love to cook if its easy enough... Eggs/bacon, noodles, microwavable meals, stuff like that lol. Laughing
william
I can cook, sort of. I do enjoy it, but only when I'm rewarded Wink . If it isn't something delicious, don't expect me to cook it. I do various things with eggs more than anything when it comes to food (except for microwavable food Very Happy ). I also quite enjoy mixing drinks together, even if it's something very crazy. However, in almost every case, I enjoy it the outcome. Experimenting with drinks is fun, just as long as you don't use it as a replacement for milk in your cereal.
snowynight
Yes but only sometimes.
cooking is fun when you are free and without the help of others.
carlospro7
My wife and I came up with a dish when we first started cooking. We called it Lime chicken, which is basically chicken cut in cubes and sautéed in onions and one lime juice with a spoonful of Aji Amarillo, which Goya sells in jars. Add a bit of salt to make it less bitter. You serve with rice and it's ready to eat. It's a simple meal, but we love it.
Libby
deanhills wrote:
Sounds like a neat idea. What kind of veggies do you chop up, and do you add any salt or spices to it?

Lately I've been using carrots, onions, and celery. I like to put in a half a bullion cube too. Spices -- I just throw in everything that tastes good together. Cardamon, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, black pepper, garlic powder, hot pepper flakes... No salt, because there's tons in the bullion cube. I want to try using stuff like basil and rosemary and parsley sometime but I'm not used to cooking with them so I don't know what tastes good with what. So there's some more experimentation to do. Very Happy
Solon_Poledourus
Libby wrote:

I never really measure anything, so here are the ingredients i used with approximate measurements.

6 oz. fillet of Mahi
Quarter of a sweet vidalia onion (shopped not too small)
Roughly 2 small spoonfulls of minced garlic
Just under a !/4 cup of diced bell pepper (i used the yellow kind)
3 baby portobello mushroom caps sliced

I sauteed the veggies with the fish in a little olive oil until the fish was cooked, then put all that stuff aside. Then I took 3 eggs and whipped them with about a quarter cup milk and poured it into a 7 inch skillet which was preheated to a medium-high temp (I used the same skillet for the veggies and fish, it had a little oil left in it so it helped with the non-stick factor).

Once, the egg cooks a bit, add the fish and veggies, then fold the omelette.
Keep in mind, I don't measure anything, so I'm horrible at giving recipe directions, so results will vary.

Ciao.
arquivo
oh yeah, I really like to cook but now my time is very short to do it... the last two experiences i had was making some rices kinds, the first one was the chinese´s rice and the other one was portuguese´s rice, both were well done and approved by my girlfriend..hehe
spring567
Yes,I like to cook.It's very interesting.
Triple_7
Cook just about every meal. I try to come up with something new every now and then...sometimes it works out great while other times it was a disaster Confused

Simple yet satisfying....Home made chicken biscuit.

Start off with some fresh chicken breast, slow cook till it falls apart...crock pot works best...skillet can be used but do not brown them.

In chicken broth cook down some egg noodles till a little chewy but not quite done. (Amish slow cook noodles are the best for this...we use a lot of my grandma's home made ones though.)

In a baking pan...depending on size add more of each item...pour in a can or two of chicken broth (best if you canned it yourself but store bought does the trick.)

Add the noodles and left over broth from them, shred chicken into decently small pieces and add to the pan.

Taste test...add salt/pepper at this point to the mixture and stir in. Now add biscuits to cover the top but do not submerge. Best is home made dough...canned biscuits if in a hurry. Put in the oven around 350°F till biscuits are golden brown.

Dip out noodles and broth with the biscuits and chow down. Cool Never tried this with beef but it might work out ok.

Other then that its a lot of meat and potatoes around here...most of which we raise/hunt/grow ourselves. Still grind some of our own flour and sometimes churn our own butter. Everything tastes so much better when its fresh and not processed. Cool Have a few good marinades/recipes for steak, deer meat, and more. Smile
andredesignz
I must say am a good cook i don't always do it because am busy with work and stuff but i know my stuff.... i don't see anything am not able to cook....
[FuN]goku
Yes! I love to cook, as does my dad. Though, my dad only really got into it after watching cooking shows such as Hell's Kitchen (good tv show btw Razz).

For the most part though, i'm more into trying to make my own things rather than following a recipe.

For example , one of things I make quite frequently is:

Bacon Grilled Cheese with tomato soup. It's probably been done before, but hey , it's simple and it's probably one of my favorite lunch foods (if i'm not at school)

First you get some bacon of some sort, fry it up until it's cooked. (duh)

Next prepare your grilled cheese(s), and place the bacon on top of the cheese. Then butter one side of the bread, and throw it in the frying pan, and butter the other side of course, and fry, till the cheese is melted.

Then while you're doing that, get some tomato soup. Add half can of milk (and i dont mean can milk, pour milk into the soup can Razz ).

Then start to cook the soup. When the soup is hot, grate up some cheese (i use cheddar) and put it into the soup. Next i usually add a bit of garlic to the soup, as well as some pepper. stir it until cheese is melted in the soup.

Probably not for everyone, but i enjoy it Razz

But other than that, i've been told my garlic bread, and my pizza sauce are pretty good.
Sphaerenkern
Nearly every day Smile When I cook for my own, I rarely buy something dedicated for cooking, I always try to create something from the resources that are already there. It's quite fun and creative Very Happy But I have to admit that I always have lots of spices and vegetables at home, so I don't mix together a lot of junk or something.
For example, I had an apple which was still eatable, but not that fresh anymore, so I didn't want to eat it raw. So I chopped it into pieces, roasted them and created some curry out of it Smile Quite easy - ju cook some rice, chop an apple, roast the pieces, chop some turkey filet, roast it with the apples, add cream, add chicken stock, add curry spice, maybe add some cornflour mixed with water to make the curry a bit less liquid - done.
I rarely use recipes... I read cooking books as inspiration and maybe I use the recipe when I cook a meal the first time. And I nearly never use some alarm to remind me when my meal or parts of it are done Smile
ankitdatashn
No I dont cook much, just some normal and usual things. Actually in India normally women cook and husbands eat!! Very Happy
PatTheGreat42
I do enjoy cooking. I'm not too shabby; I can pull off some not too easy stuff. But I don't invent much, I think, I just like to follow the recipes. They still turn out delicious, though. I don't cook much these days, however, because we're not allowed even a hot plate and they make us eat in the mess hall. But I do manage to whip up something occasionally on the weekend.
arquivo
oh, what a nice topic, better almost impossible i could say, thats why im cooking right now..oh, talking about that, i need go to take a look on the food...be right back... Right, everything is ok there...
Today is sunday here, im talking, or better to say, i am wrinting form Brazil and i really like to cook, i cant do it everytime, tahts why my wife likes to cook too... but today is my day and i am happy..hehehe
What i am doing, i mean, cooking inst some special, but i think will be good anyway.
Iam cookin a pasta, macarroni, you know? and doing some meat if tomate sauce, i am cooking some potatos too... everything using few spices and condiments, we like the flavor what they bring to us...
well, let me go take care about the food now and take some fun...
arquivo
oh, what a nice topic, better almost impossible i could say, thats why im cooking right now..oh, talking about that, i need go to take a look on the food...be right back... Right, everything is ok there...
Today is sunday here, im talking, or better to say, i am wrinting form Brazil and i really like to cook, i cant do it everytime, tahts why my wife likes to cook too... but today is my day and i am happy..hehehe
What i am doing, i mean, cooking inst some special, but i think will be good anyway.
Iam cookin a pasta, macarroni, you know? and doing some meat if tomate sauce, i am cooking some potatos too... everything using few spices and condiments, we like the flavor what they bring to us...
well, let me go take care about the food now and take some fun...
Donutey
If you're going to college, being able to cook cookies/brownies and such will instantly win over your roommates (not to mention it's easy to do when you buy a pre-made mix).

My maximum cooking ability is making home-made pizza (dough and everything).
Cliffer
yes i cook.i can cook some of chinese dishes and noodles and dumplings. Very Happy
airh3ad
Yes i cook everyday for my family specially for my kids its and filipino foods i am fun cooking , My children are going through a terrible phase of picky eating. It mostly manifests itself at the dinner table. Dinners I had previously cooked (that they loved) are being boycotted and they have been going to bed hungry because I am tired of the battle.Which makes me wonder its always a question that do you cook for yourself and what you love? Or do you make kid-friendly meals? Honestly, if my kids had their way, we'd only eat mac 'n cheese, peanut butter sandwiches and chicken nugget etc . I just don't want to even go there but I am frustrated they don't want to eat my delicious and nutricious dinners , obcourse its nutrious foods i cooked to them .
la_Duchess
I love to cook! I have ever since I was a kid. If I don't know how to make something I just o to allrecipes.com and I usually find a recipe I like.
biljap
I don’t know to cook some complicated food, thought I like to eat it. Wink

I know some basics and I like to read recipes and to see how something is made. I feel sorry I can’t experiment with food but as I don’t live alone Rolling Eyes and I spend the whole day at work, I have to wait weekend or some holiday when there is nobody around kitchen to get access to kitchen range. Sad
stel4e
I do cook sometimes Smile when I have time... I use recipes but I don't follow them exactly ... I always put something from me Wink
This last time I made very interesting and very very delicious soup with yogurt... And it's really simple .. you just need 1 cup of yogurt, 1 spoon of flour, 1 spoon rice or noodles, chicken bouillon, lemon juice, 1 spoon butter, and dry mint and of course water. First wait while the water boils and put the rice or the noodles with little salt... wait while they are cooked ... Stir the yogurt with the flour... when the rice is ready put the yogurt and the flour... cook for 10 minutes or less... while it's ready... melt the butter with the mint and put them in the soup. At last squeeze some lemon juice ... it's really really nice and easy soup Wink
tony
Mmmm; mahi mahi. I love to cook too. Although I've never cooked mahi mahi - must try some time! I like to cook Thai food...mmmm.
SyHz
I can make sandwiches;) im very proud Very Happy
desonium
I cook sometimes for my parents when they are late from their work.
Most of the times I just cook potatoes and some vegetables. I do also cook a piece of meat then because I love meat.
My favourite food is pizza so I am very good in making Pizza myself. I make the bottom and then I spread mexican sauce over the bottom. After that I put some meat at the bottem like salami, after I top the pizza with food like onions,paprika,fungus and more and on the top of it many rasped cheese. And then waiting for the pizza to be baked.
bigt
I'm not much of a cooker. I can reheat and brown meat for boxed meals, but I usually leave the cooking up to my wife. She's much better at it.
airh3ad
Im good in cooking filipino foods great and delecios!
spring567
I like to cook. It is good for our health when we cook for ourself.
watersoul
My usual dish is "Vegetable/lentil suprise" - the suprise is that it tastes nice hehe!

Onion, garlic fried in butter, add chopped tomato's/peppers, then some salt & pepper & basil, then red split lentils & water plus a little lemon juice. Simmered for a while, served on pasta with a little grated cheese on top...Yum!!

Very Happy
emonbd
i have never even think about it!! but sometimes i think that would be so cool!!!!!!!!!!
b4r4t
Well .. when I have to then I cook ... and I must say that then I like to cook but ... cooking is consuming a lot of time (which I dont have ...)
I'm at work between 8AM - 4PM, then there are oonly weekends (but lot of weekends I'm at shool) ... in those few days which are left for cooking someone is cooking for me ... Smile
But sometimes I realy want to eat something what I have on my mind, I know how it should taste and ... i reserve some free time and I'm cooking Smile
Dean_The_Great
Libby wrote:
So now I just chop up the veggies and throw them in the water while I wait for it to boil. The veggies get cooked in a healthier way and it's a little faster and there's less mess.

That is a great idea, but you should know that in the case of fresh veggies, you should only cook them for five minutes when they are in a sauce or broth or anything like that. After five minutes you start to cook off some of that veggie flavoured goodness!

My last "invention" I suppose was this chicken honey stir fry. I stir fried chopped chicken breast with various veggies (mushrooms, peppers, onion, etc.) then doused the whole thing is a healthy dose of honey. Seasoned to taste (I used a little cayenne this last time, gave it a nice little kick!) and then serve over rice! Friggin' delicious!
Zombie
I mostly cook instant meals lol, but I have been known to make some nice spaghetti.
standready
I enjoy cooking for friends but find it boring when cooking for myself.
evilgeniuself
My family has a system where everyone cooks at least once a week. There are things I enjoy cooking, and things I don't like cooking, and if I had to choose a favorite dish to make, I would have to choose Chicken Estufao, which is a guam dish I learned from my middle school home economics teacher. Usually, though, I bake things like pork and chicken....
kriszara
When I was growing up, there were 3 kids in my family, so my Mom came up with the system where 1 of us would help her cook dinner and the other 2 would do dishes. Now all 3 of us are able cooks.
My favorite things to make are meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Thankgiving dinner with all of the sides, chicken stir-fry, and chicken alfredo.
PatTheGreat42
I bake really good. When I try to cook other things I get varying rates of success. But cookies, pies, etc, come out pretty darn well for me.
m-productions
I do cook, but random things. More advanced things i do make some cakes from time to time for events and such (lots and lots of frosting trust me!!!). Latley iv been making jalapeno popers, Basicly you just take an eggroll, put some cream cheese and freeshly chopped jalapenos and roll them up, then either frie or bake them (bake for about 12 mins on 400) and they turn out mmm mmm good. But I make many different kinds of things, I dont "love to cook" but I love to eat, this, have to cook =P
Ashtray
Yes, definitely! I specialize in desserts Smile. I find cooking really relaxing....
umeshtangnu
i can cook Ramen Laughing
mwsupra
I'm a bad cook at mostly everything, but can cook noodles like a champ! And I make good eggs, but none of this is really "brag" material Razz
chatrack
If making a tea come under "cooking", I can say I also cook.

Not only that, I know how to prepare nudiles,.. boil egg..fry "papadam"...
spoonassassinkingdom
I wish. I pretty much am the worst cook ever! I burn cereal Very Happy ! That is how bad I am!
Denvis
Yes! I do cook, thanks for asking. I cook at school (Hospitality) I cook at home and sometimes when mah friends invite me over for BBQ (aussie) I'd normally take the job of doing the cooking for the event. Very Happy
Vrythramax
This one is very simple...I either cook or starve to death! I wish I could cook better, but nothing I cook makes me sick...so that's a plus. Smile
Fanghai
There are very limited things i can cook. instant ramen! or maybe pasta. a couple of days ago i tried cooking dumplings (those that come in a bag and are already premade) and i ended up boiling them for an excessive amount of time. the outer coverings came off and all of the juice inside leaked out into the pot of boiling water. oh well. yesterday i tried making some Thai chicken. i thought it tasted pretty good. my brother came in to the kitchen then immediately ran away to his room. maybe it's the hot peppers or the curry powder. or maybe he just hates me in general. To all that are attempting to cook: good luck!
soljarag
i don't cook... i Microwave!
Asis
cooking is so funny , love when i burn my dinner ><
rvec
moved to Health and Beauty

This move is part of rvec's big general chat cleanup
nigam
i love cooking especially filipino foods for my family, relatives and friends...
Solon_Poledourus
nigam wrote:
i love cooking especially filipino foods for my family, relatives and friends...
I love the food of the Philippines... especially Lechon...

It.
Is.
Heaven.
mikakiev
I cook. I started to bake bread and it became a kind of hobby. I rather say it's a challenge. Getting a new skill is an exciting thing. I'm thrilled when I change the ingredients to improve the tast or to make something new and tasty. There haven't been enough time for entertainment, so I began to feel in this way.
However, it would be awful that you need to cook for a very very long time every day. One of my cousin who married recently said she woke up at 5 something and made packed lunch for herself abnd her husband everyday, and cooked supper after her work. She is a fulltime worker!
BTW she wouldn't be a very skilled experienced cook.When I talked with her 3years ago, she hadn't cooked at all. Her mum cooked. She will be able to save her time in the future, if she continue such a practice.
natilovesmike
Well, I only cook because I need to eat and feed my family. Lately I haven't had much time to make any "creations" We have a set of meals that we rotate through randomly during the month and they are all very simple. A couple of crock pot meals, lemon chicken, steak, meat balls....

I think my best creations are when I have a bunch of left overs and try to make something out of it. Like mixing left over rice and chicken with eggs and chesse and make a sort of omelet? (I would call it tortilla in spanish). Those are usually really good!
Greatking
cooking is something i just started doing recently, its come easy because my mother taught my sister and i when we were little. sometimes i get in the kitchen and i put two or three veges together and eat with rice. but then in my small expereince of cooking i have realised one thing; you can prepare any sause or stew or soup and the universal add on to go with it is rice, potatoe, yam, or spagetti. does anyone know any other dish to complement stews, soups and sauces?
Crinoid
Quote:
Do you cook?

Have to, can't afford either servants or eating outside. But like it not more than a toilet cleaning: waste of life and all for nothing.
By the way, have you seen the simple healthy recipes for cooking really fast and cheap? From basic ingredients, no chili pepper, sauces, and ready made canned food. For us, not cooking breed Laughing