FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hidden Folders don't appear even if checked the box? See so

phuchicu
I have just gone through this virus or Bug and did the following

* Scan the OS installed drive. (c:/?) with your AV so it flash the Virus/worm if any.
* Go to Start> Run> regedit.
* Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then > Software.Under this go to: Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Explorer Then go to Advanced -> Folder -> Hidden -> SHOWALL
* Delete the value CheckedValue. it must be the infected value so Delete it.
* Create a new value (right click on open space) new> Dword value name it as CheckedValue. the Data should be modified to 1.
* That's it ! Enjoy you have done it yourself!
* and also see that default value is 2.(Right after the CheckedValue )
shkhanal
in most of the cases if the computer is infected with virus, it won't allow you to run regedit command at all! I've experiences lots of anti viruses too can't find this virus. Most often a file named system.exe is present and when deleted creates immediately another copy again.
iyepes
If you don't remove the virus from running in memory, it will change again the registry settings.
ted1986
iyepes wrote:
If you don't remove the virus from running in memory, it will change again the registry settings.

agree!!
yensmythe
If you have a virus and the antivirus can not remove it you have 2 options:

1. boot windows in safe mode (press F8 when computer boots up and than select safe mode from the menu). When you come to safe mode just run the antivirus and it will scan your computer.

2. If first option does not work than you need to find some antivirus that you can burn on CD and run it from CD when computer starts (before system is booted up).

But when you have a virus than the best way is to archive all the data on CD-RW or DVD-RW and make a clean istall of windows.
aningbo
it willl get back as soon as you have done that. its not gonna work. unless the virus is no more in the system.

i would recommend anyone to use the system restore if it is still intake or format the system and be happy about it. why waste time hours tryin to figure out what went wrong!?
KHO
In order to actually remove the virus, you must go into safe mode by repeatedly tapping F8 at boot and starting in safe mode ( no networking unless you absolutely must ). At this point you should run virus scans to remove the virus, and also manually check the startup log using a program like hijackthis or one of my favorites, autoruns. Manually editing startup reg keys after you do all that will ensure proper removal of your bug.
Diablosblizz
yensmythe wrote:
If you have a virus and the antivirus can not remove it you have 2 options:

1. boot windows in safe mode (press F8 when computer boots up and than select safe mode from the menu). When you come to safe mode just run the antivirus and it will scan your computer.

2. If first option does not work than you need to find some antivirus that you can burn on CD and run it from CD when computer starts (before system is booted up).

But when you have a virus than the best way is to archive all the data on CD-RW or DVD-RW and make a clean istall of windows.

Too very good points. But, I'd like to expand on them both. For the first one. avast! allows you to scan your drive without being in safe mode. What it does is it loads it's modules before the operating system loads. It stops the OS from loading, then scans your system for any threats. It's very lightweight and does the job quite nicely.

Second one. Great idea! I use this all the time when I am helping people with infected computers. Just plop in the disc into the drive and walk away (or so to speak). It's slower but around 70% more effective.