FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mahatma Gandhi's personal belongings

subirbasak
Indian liquor tycoon Vijay Mallya is very pleased with his purchase of a set of Mahatma Gandhi's personal belongings including his iconic round-rimmed spectacles as he is bringing the national heritage home. Confusion prevailed for hours in the run up to Thursday's auction of Gandhi memorabilia as a throng of journalists gathered at the East 57th Street headquarters of Antiquorum Auctioneers handling the sale. Tony Bedi, the representative of Mallya who bought the items for USSD 1.8 million at the auction said his client is
Quote:
'really pleased with the purchase'
as
Quote:
'he is bringing the heritage of the items back to India'
. The items(Mahatma Gandhi's glasses and case ) will be offered at auction by Antiquorum in New York on March 5, 2009.The great-grandson of Gandhi said that he has launched a fundraising campaign to buy a rare collection of the Indian independence leader's personal items that are up for auction and bring them back to India.
deanhills
I would have thought that Ghandhi would have had very little earthly belongings, his focus has always been on non-earthly spiritual matters. But good that India is getting them back, as of course Ghandhi's belongings belong to India.
vineeth
deanhills wrote:
I would have thought that Ghandhi would have had very little earthly belongings, his focus has always been on non-earthly spiritual matters. But good that India is getting them back, as of course Ghandhi's belongings belong to India.

Gandhiji was so many.. A man of real spiritual knowledge and experience, a freedom fighter who showed the world a new and effective method of protest called "Ahimsa", a patriot, writer, a successful advocate and much more.

You said it right as Gandhiji was spiritual first and everything else comes later... He is the father of the Republic of India.
Moshkin_Khan
deanhills wrote:

I believe the auction was for very few items, his sandals, his dhoti and glasses are a few of the things I remember. Not many at all.

Wasnt this selling controversial as India had requested the items as heritage but they were being sold anyway. But they were bought by an Indian so happy days I guess.
deanhills
Moshkin_Khan wrote:

I believe the auction was for very few items, his sandals, his dhoti and glasses are a few of the things I remember. Not many at all.

Wasnt this selling controversial as India had requested the items as heritage but they were being sold anyway. But they were bought by an Indian so happy days I guess.
Do they have a heritage museum for Indian culture, i.e. would there be a Government place where his belongings would be on exhibit?
harismushtaq
I suggest these things were returned to Indian gevernment as a complement and they would have displayed them to thier people in some public museum.
Fake
where is his stick at this moment?