FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

School

DMacD
This is for all you younger people out there.

Currently I'm at school, about to sit life-dependant exams. But I've already been tested to the point of insanity for 10+ years. That's all school has become, a statistical battleground for school headteachers and boards to compete in an everlasting flash of egos.

Fair enough to final exams, and perhaps appeals evidence such as prelims and course tests over the 2 years pupils do Standard Grades, but before that it is all about being placed in "categories".

If a pupil does badly in one test, that puts his average mark down - average is all that matters to teachers - thus perhaps making him miss out on learning opportunities of a higher level. But it shouldn't be that way. Every pupil should have an equal opportunity to learn regarless of intellectual capacity.

Do you agree?
rvec
moved, this is about learning
Libby
Agree. School is dumb.

http://akpress.org/2008/items/everywhereallthetimeakpress

http://lowryhousepublishers.com/TeenageLiberationHandbook.htm

It isn't so much about "intellectual capacity" as "conformative capacity". Can you fit into the box of "good student" or not?
deanhills
Libby wrote:
Agree. School is dumb.

It isn't so much about "intellectual capacity" as "conformative capacity". Can you fit into the box of "good student" or not?

Awesome posting Libby. I checked out the links, and they are hot on the number. Ain't it true! I wonder how much of valuable learning time I've lost by attending an Institution. I think the real valuable parts were from my father, who was a teacher himself, a natural born one. He taught me good lessons in arithmetic, history, etc. and when it was needed and necessary. And especially during our current day, teachers are more occupied with their own "vision" of what learning should be, than the one that children and teenagers needs, as well as the total big picture. The current Institutionalized type of teaching also takes away responsibility from the children to learn, making them more reactive than proactive. What gets me is that the educational planners are currently wondering how they could teach so that children can develope critical thinking abilities, and so this is the reason for it. Children are not taught to take responsibility for their learning, and have very few choices. At best they are surviving the system, or if the system suits some of the children, they are doing well with it. Small wonder that those who do well in the system often fail when they get out and go to University.
redslazers
deanhills wrote:
Libby wrote:
Agree. School is dumb.

Awesome posting Libby. I checked out the links, and they are hot on the number. Ain't it true! I wonder how much of valuable learning time I've lost by attending an Institution. I think the real valuable parts were from my father, who was a teacher himself, a natural born one. He taught me good lessons in arithmetic, history, etc. and when it was needed and necessary. And especially during our current day, teachers are more occupied with their own "vision" of what learning should be, than the one that children and teenagers needs, as well as the total big picture. The current Institutionalized type of teaching also takes away responsibility from the children to learn, making them more reactive than proactive. What gets me is that the educational planners are currently wondering how they could teach so that children can develope critical thinking abilities, and so this is the reason for it. Children are not taught to take responsibility for their learning, and have very few choices. At best they are surviving the system, or if the system suits some of the children, they are doing well with it. Small wonder that those who do well in the system often fail when they get out and go to University.

Im in year 10 at school and i dont know where i would be without school, its like my life line. I agree that ego's play to big apart but i have meet some great teachers that genuinely care about the students
deanhills
redslazers wrote:
Im in year 10 at school and i dont know where i would be without school, its like my life line. I agree that ego's play to big apart but i have meet some great teachers that genuinely care about the students
That sounds great redslazers. There are not many happy people like you and it means you are very well adjusted. And you must be learning a lot too.
joostvane
You say teachers only watch the average, not in my school. And school, and as redslazers wrote, I won't know what to do without it. My life would be boring without school tbh...

As for the results, teachers at my school don't only watch the average grades. They watch from test to test aswell. Especially for math, they look at the results you have got over the whole year, not only the average ending percentage.
wendy_b
I'm almost 37 and ready to graduate college. I waited 15 years before I went after I graduated high school. All I have to say is, learn what you can in high school, and have good study habits, and get your work done on time. Because in college, there is NO SLACK!

Go while you are younger and have all that fresh knowledge in your heads! Enjoy it, college is fun, even though it is a lot of hard work. Esp. with a family and house to take care of, but I would not go back and change it for anything!!!! Very Happy
Moshkin_Khan
In the UK, it seems most of my subjects were being taught to the Exam, Its a real lack of creativity and fun to be honest. Lessons are dullened and more boring because our teachers cant go on to talk about the interesting aspects of our courses or we'll never cover the Subject Material which will definitely be in the exams.
Seems like a waste, You cant get an interest in subjects you generally might not have thought you could because its just exam related stuff, not things you'll need when you get out there and look for a job, or things that you're interested in.