FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where was Budhha Born?

Where was Lord Buddha Born?
Nepal
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
India
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

rabin_gupta
Lumbini is the place where the Buddha, known as the Tathagata* was born. It is the place which should be visited and seen by a person of devotion and which should cause awareness and apprehension of the nature of impermanence.' * Tathagata - One who has found the Truth.

The birthplace of the Gautama Buddha, Lumbini, is the Mecca of every Buddhist, being one of the four holy places of Buddhism. It is said in the Parinibbana Sutta that Buddha himself identified four places of future pilgrimage: the sites of his birth, enlightenment, first discourse, and death. All of these events happened outside in nature under trees. While there is not any particular significance in this, other than it perhaps explains why Buddhists have always respected the environment and natural law.

GO NEPAL GO LUMBINI
brokenadvice
Does it matter where the Buddha was born? Does the fact that the Buddha was there change the place? The place is the same as it always was, with the exception that there is now a gift shop there. Enlightenment must come from within, not from the outside.
deanhills
brokenadvice wrote:
Does it matter where the Buddha was born? Does the fact that the Buddha was there change the place? The place is the same as it always was, with the exception that there is now a gift shop there. Enlightenment must come from within, not from the outside.
Sounds like a good way to start if someone wishes to attain enlightenment. If they would like to really get away and go to Nepal, what would your advice be of where they can go to totally get away for a few months or more to learn the art of meditation in a serious way.
brokenadvice
I suppose the "traditional" way is to make the pilgrimage to a monetary and learn from the masters. I think though, a more modern approach might be more realistic. I don't think it would be terribly hard to isolate oneself, even in the city. If you really couldn't find a quiet place, you could always take a trip out to the country, woods, desert, or other place of solitude and use that as a way to find enlightenment. Solitude is not necessary, but would help minimize distractions. Although I would be wary of a book that claims to provide enlightenment, A good book may help you along in your journey.
deanhills
brokenadvice wrote:
I suppose the "traditional" way is to make the pilgrimage to a monetary and learn from the masters. I think though, a more modern approach might be more realistic. I don't think it would be terribly hard to isolate oneself, even in the city. If you really couldn't find a quiet place, you could always take a trip out to the country, woods, desert, or other place of solitude and use that as a way to find enlightenment. Solitude is not necessary, but would help minimize distractions. Although I would be wary of a book that claims to provide enlightenment, A good book may help you along in your journey.
I always thought one had to meditate with a guru of a kind, as you have to pick up on the channel to meditate on as well as learn how to do it first? So was wondering whether there was anything like that available in Nepal?