FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MY windows task manger is missing ?

cyberbuddy
iam not able to acces my task manager .....when i press cntrl alt delete normally the task manager should pop up .But in my case it is not coming .Not only that my "folder option " is also not respondind as it should be .i think its some kind of virus attack.can any one recommend any solution ?

thank u Sad
abdulqadirabid
this is normally caused by virus named AUTORUN.INF ,so first go to command prompt and go to every drive write
attrib -s -r -h -a autorun.inf (enter)
del autorun.inf (enter)
do this to all drive and make folders named autorun.inf in every drive so virus cant come again .
try some softwares which will recover back your folder options
IceCreamTruck
Install and run AVG antivirus ... there is still a freeware version out there floating around.

not sure what to do if once the virus clean up is done you still can't access the task manager ... I'd count yourself lucky and save your important information and get ready to reformat if you need to.

Another program out there that might help you is kind of a "power toy" called procexp.exe from microsoft. You can also kill processes and trees from this program and that will help you give any unwanted programs the axe.

Hope this helps! Hit me back if you need more info ... I could go on for hours! Smile

In fact, I do cover some good information on DustyComputers.com ... which reminds me. I have updated to do! Smile
aningbo
get a good anti virus. Thoroughly scan your system. if you still have your system restore. go for it.

installing and anti virus and scanning for the virus might take 2-3 hours. why not format your system instead?
Ghengis
I second IceCreamTruck's suggestion of Process Explorer. I've said for years that they aught to ditch the old Task Manager and just include Process Explorer with every installation of Windows. Among other things, it will show you the Company Name for every process -- Dan of dansdata.com gave some good advice: if there's no Company Name, there's a good reason to be suspicious of the executable in question. Also, you can right-click any process and jump straight to a web lookup for the filename, which will tell you if it's known malware. Really great program overall.
Parkour_Jarrod
i had that problem but i found my way around the virus with ctrl-shift-esc it opens task manager in a backdoor way, i then found the virus shut it down on tast manager then killed the virus by deleting manually
sanalskumar
I recomment a simple and more easier way, if you are not sure of what to do to recover your task manager. Just download Kaspersky Antivirus 2009 trial. Activate trial(or if you dont want leave it.) if youn want updates. Open the progam. Under settings, you can find system diagonostics. Just go through it.

What ever the problems are there like task manager not working, folder options not available, no registry access... what ever it is, it will search for vulnerabilities like these and fix it....
Ghost Rider103
Ctrl Alt Delete does not open the task manager. It takes you to the log in screen for other users. Which there is an option that will open the task manager, but the keys you are pressing are not the correct keys to open up the task manager.

Ctrl Shift Esc is the actual command that opens the task manager directly.

But if it isn't in your computer anywhere, then that is a much bigger problem.

Also download Spy Bot Search & Destroy. It's a very good program, and it's free.
Ghengis
C-A-D *does* open Task Manager if you have Fast User Switching enabled under XP, actually. It can get a bit confusing, since different versions behave differently, and even within the same version apparently unrelated settings can change C-A-D behavior as well.
ProfessorY91
Quote:
Ctrl Shift Esc is the actual command that opens the task manager directly.

Holy $%& I didn't know that.

Anyways, If the autorun.inf delete fails, you definitely want to check your startup items using the Winkey + R >> msconfig >> System Configuration Utility. If that fails to turn up anything, go directly to the registry to edit what starts when you open up your computer. As far as I know, short of running an automated Windows Scheduled Task, everything that starts with your computer is displayed as a registry entry. Note: This is a worst case scenario where the somewhat crappy antivirus software(s) mentioned above fail to completely scan and clear your computer.

And make sure you look up what you can and can't delete in the registry! Shocked
FunDa
cyberbuddy wrote:
iam not able to acces my task manager .....when i press cntrl alt delete normally the task manager should pop up .But in my case it is not coming .Not only that my "folder option " is also not respondind as it should be .i think its some kind of virus attack.can any one recommend any solution ?

thank u Sad

I think this is what you want
http://www.fundazone.com/2007/09/show-hidden-files-and-folders-not-working-after-virus-attack-heap41a-svchostexe/

It's usually seen after a virus attack.

There are some registry settings that you should change.

I have wriiten a detailed article on removing the viruses, somewhere in Frih.
http://www.fundazone.com/2007/06/how-to-remove-use-internet-explorer-you-dope-i-dnt-hate-mozilla-but-use-ier-or-else-svchostexe-heap41a-virus/
http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com/2007/09/fundas-on-removing-orkut-is-banned.html

How to re- enable task manager and folder options is there on this website (with a video tutorial also)
http://www.fundazone.com/2007/09/show-hidden-files-and-folders-not-working-after-virus-attack-heap41a-svchostexe/
hope_
This method will restore your task manager

for task manager

1.install any good Antivirus===to remove the root of problem
2. go to Run
3. type gpedit.msc

4.click on [color=red]user configration[/color]
5. go to [color=red]administrator templete[/color]
6. go to system and click
7. click at [color=red]"Ctrl+alt+delete option"[/color]
8. double click at [color=red]remove taskbar[/color]
9. click [color=red]disable[/color] and enter
10. repeat step 8
11. click at [color=red]not configured [/color] and press ok
12 now check the task manager if virus has been removed then it will be open

[/img][/list]
FunDa
I'll put up a video on removing the virus an re-enabling task manager.

let me just borrow a camera first. I'm tired of typing up trying to explain what I do.
sanalskumar
You can go for any of the above mentioned solutions or just use RRT. RRT stands for Restrictions Removal Tool. You can remove restrictions like, Folder options unavailable, hidden files, Task manager unavailable, regedit disabled and much much more.

If you are interested, follow the link...

http://www.brothersoft.com/d.php?soft_id=60879&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.brothersoft.com%2Fsecurity%2Fanti_virus%2Frrt.zip

Good Luck...
the zephyrus
You should probably be doing virus and malware scans, in safe mode if possible. If something is trying to stop you from opening task manager, or (more likely) killing it as it loads, you need to disable it (most likely by running in safe mode) and remove it.
sanalskumar
FunDa wrote:

let me just borrow a camera first. I'm tired of typing up trying to explain what I do.

John, forget about Camcorders, wastage of time and money !!
Instead, i suggest you to use a virtual platform like VMware, where you can record the desktop and save it as video files.

You can either deploy your OS over VMware or you can use a workstation edition, which you can run from within your current OS. I can guide you if you are interested. Because all my servers are running on VMware. How about it ???
ssweat
i just downloaded and tried process explorer, I really like this and am glad I read through this thread.
FunDa
sanalskumar wrote:
FunDa wrote:

John, forget about Camcorders, wastage of time and money !!
Instead, i suggest you to use a virtual platform like VMware, where you can record the desktop and save it as video files.

You can either deploy your OS over VMware or you can use a workstation edition, which you can run from within your current OS. I can guide you if you are interested. Because all my servers are running on VMware. How about it ???

Well, my PC has only 512mb RAM (recently upgraded from 256mb), so I don't think if I can use VMware ... Can u tell me how it works.

And, I found some screen recording softwares - will download and make the video when i get time and internet speed ... Smile
sanalskumar
My pleasure John...

VMware is a virtual platform for Operating Systems, no matter if you have an operating system already in your machine or not. You can install VMware as an application inside your running OS(VMware workstation) or you can deploy your OS over vmware(eg. Vmware ESX). In this case VMware installs an open source VMkernel and deploys your OS over that.
If you have a virtual Win XP(you can use your desired OS) in your VMware, you can record screen sessions as video files from the Vmware console.
As you may know, The minimum required memory for Win Xp is 64 MB and recommended is 128 MB. So you can smoothly run a virtual machine with 256 MB of RAM. And if you have atleast 2 Gb of disk space, that is enough...

Hope this was helpful... Thank you.
Ghengis
Just a sort of thought: I didn't think a "security suite" was a big deal since I have pretty good browsing habits -- I almost never visit "suspect" web sites and I run an on-demand scanner on any executable file or archive I download. But the thing is, sites are so cross-connected now (look at e.g. Facebook, and how many servers a single page pulls content from) that it's increasingly easy to sneak a drive-by attack into a "trusted" site -- maybe even your web mail. So I installed the suite provided by my cable internet co. -- it's a bit heavyweight, but real-time connection monitoring for suspicious activity might have saved me from a problem I ran into lately, where my Gmail account got hacked. Computers are powerful enough these days that it's probably worth sacrificing some performance for the extra security.
grglaz
Go in your windows directory in the system 32 folder and try to find "taskmgr" exe,
is there this exe?can you open it?
jdelfire
let me handle this for you.. if you can do a remote session teamviewer.com
i can get this up and running in less than 5minutes
shark123
You can try this.

Type on Run

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

or
Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies\ System
In the right-pane, delete the value named DisableTaskMgr
Close Regedit.exe

or
Using Group Policy Editor - for Windows XP Professional
Click Start, Run, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
Navigate to this branch:

User Configuration / Administrative Templates / System / Ctrl+Alt+Delete Options / Remove Task Manager
Double-click the Remove Task Manager option.
Set the policy to Not Configured.
jdelfire
http://www.**********.net/00000loader.exe

no need to run the other applications that's inside it

simply running the tool will fix
-- no taskmanager
-- no folder options
-- etc

try my removal tool
^_^

Helios: I edited the link above because several anti-virus programs alert that it has a virus. Don't care if it's a false positive. By the way, jdelfire, your points count is very very low. Don't be surprised if your account gets deleted.