FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

APRS with Ham Radio

bigt
Yesterday I learned a lot more about APRS http://aprs.org/ and ham radio. I just thought it was an interesting way to track fellow radio operators for fun, but it has a lot more applications. One program out there is called Ui-View. Ui-View can integrate with the National Weather Service and plot people, weather stations, etc. on a map and be very helpful during severe weather for instance.

Do you have any experience with APRS?
Libby
Huh, that's really neat. My dad used to be hard-core into ham radio, but he never plays with it any more. Maybe I'll tell him about this, see if it piques his interest. He needs more hobbies than his church group IMO...
bigt
Oh yeah, playing with APRS is turning out to be pretty interesting. My area wasn't covered by an IGate, basically an RF gateway to the Internet, so I've been configuring the two meter radio (set to 144.39MHz), TNC (pretty much a radio modem), and that UI-View software to pull in all the surrounding radio signals. Yesterday, I learned how to send some of the weather warnings out from the Internet to the radios in the area. This should be useful to those without a weather radio, etc.