FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

jessicawalker
Has anyone read this? If so, what did you think? What did you think of the ending?

I loved it. It was so odd though, for me, emotionally. The whole time I read it, I was distraught and disturbed, but yet, I couldn't put it down. It was so beautifully written and vivid and yet so bleak and vague. I thought it was quite unique and compelling.

It also made me ask myself so many torturous questions. How would I behave in that situation with my child? If there was a strong chance of something far more horrible and unthinkable happening to my child and I had a gun... How could I possibly?

The ending was quite bittersweet to me. So sad, yet somewhat hopeful at the same time. Of course it was completely hopeless, right? Without any resources or anything, soon it would all be over for everyone, right?

Let me know what you thought of it!
Crazy_Canuck
Hi, Jessica! I've read it. I loved it.

The journey is bleak and stark, but so very thought-provoking. As for the ending, its ambiguity is breathtaking. You've described it perfectly.

My theory on the ending is that one's interpretation will reveal one's basic spiritual philosophy and orientation in the universe. Do you find it bleak and nihilistic? Or hopeful and optimistic? Or both? It can be read a bunch of different ways, I think. All of them valid and justifiable by the preceding text.

You know they are filming it, huh? Viggo Mortensen is the lead.
c'tair
I've read it. It was a good read, but nothing marvelous, at least for me. It does have this awesome post-apocalyptic feel to it which I love, but nothing else. The metaphysical problems posed by it?

Well, I don't see anything revolutionary in them so I just scanned over them and focused on the plot.