FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My fan is stopping

sajeebr
I was surfing the net and suddenly smelt something burning from my room and found that my CPU was very host and a very hot air was coming.
I tried to figure out what happened and found that the fan in the power system is not moving. What should I do? Can I repair it or should I change my power system.
coreymanshack
sajeebr wrote:
I was surfing the net and suddenly smelt something burning from my room and found that my CPU was very host and a very hot air was coming.
I tried to figure out what happened and found that the fan in the power system is not moving. What should I do? Can I repair it or should I change my power system.

Replace your power supply Very Happy
Kelvin
don't bother to repair it. Just change the PSU and do it quick before it gets worse. I suggest you stop using your computer for the time being until you get the PSU replaced.
coreymanshack
yea if you are smelling something, more than likely something is going to catch fire.
ciureanuc
"I was surfing the net and suddenly smelt something burning from my room and found that my CPU was very host and a very hot air was coming. I tried to figure out what happened and found that the fan in the power system is not moving. What should I do? Can I repair it or should I change my power system."

I have a friend with the same problem on his video card.
And I solved with the same method I described on the "How often do you clean your PC?" topic:

Try my method on your power supply:

I open the PC power case and I use a brush (attached to that hoover) to clean all the dust.
I think this is very important - some engine oil to re-oil the fans (I use a syringe).
I also clean the fans with the wet cloth (and dry them with a dry cloth).

It my work also in your case.
fadirocks
ciureanuc wrote:
"I was surfing the net and suddenly smelt something burning from my room and found that my CPU was very host and a very hot air was coming. I tried to figure out what happened and found that the fan in the power system is not moving. What should I do? Can I repair it or should I change my power system."

And I solved with the same method I described on the "How often do you clean your PC?" topic:

I open the PC power case and I use a brush (attached to that hoover) to clean all the dust.
I think this is very important - some engine oil to re-oil the fans (I use a syringe).

my brother use Transmission oil I don't know why but my brother likes it more than engine oil
also he totally disassemble the fan before greasing it up Smile
Diablosblizz
Well, replacing PSU may work but what if the fan is simply dead? I've had many fans die on me, and I just grabbed another from a spare-case and wire it up with some Winnie the Poo tape and it worked fine. (literally no lie, I had no other tape)
ciureanuc
"my brother use Transmission oil I don't know why but my brother likes it more than engine oil
also he totally disassemble the fan before greasing it up Smile "

I do exactly the same thing. I disassemble the fan and then a apply the oil.
It's no big deal, really, the fans have only two parts: the static one and the moving part.
After this type of cleaning the fan will be like new for another six months or more.

I don't have a car so I get my oil from friends... They are so amused when I ask: "Can you please give me a syringe of oil?" ha ha ha
DrVoIP
Replace your smps.....
tony
ciureanuc wrote:

Very good suggestions imo. Have you tried those?