FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Triple Booting

saratdear
So...I was considering trying to triple booting XP, Windows 7 beta, as well as Ubuntu.

Leave out the space and performance concerns (I know triple booting might not be the best, performance wise), but what I want to know is, is it possible? XP has its own boot manager, and Linux and Win 7 has their own too. When its just two, its pretty easy because probably Linux or Win 7 comes up and you can just select "Other OS" to go to XP. But what about triple boot? Has anybody tried it out?

Thanks.

Sarat
coreymanshack
saratdear wrote:
So...I was considering trying to triple booting XP, Windows 7 beta, as well as Ubuntu.

Leave out the space and performance concerns (I know triple booting might not be the best, performance wise), but what I want to know is, is it possible? XP has its own boot manager, and Linux and Win 7 has their own too. When its just two, its pretty easy because probably Linux or Win 7 comes up and you can just select "Other OS" to go to XP. But what about triple boot? Has anybody tried it out?

Thanks.

Sarat

You only have one hard disk? I put my installs on different disks and changed boot order in bios when I wanted to boot into one.

This is possible with one disk, use GRUB as your default boot manager.
saratdear
coreymanshack wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Thanks.

Sarat

You only have one hard disk? I put my installs on different disks and changed boot order in bios when I wanted to boot into one.

This is possible with one disk, use GRUB as your default boot manager.

One hard disk, 80 GB, 7 partitions, but I suppose I could make more if needed.

I found this helpful guide when I did a Google Search, but it tells nothing about boot managers.

I will search around for how to set GRUB as the default manager. Thanks for your help. Smile
ocalhoun
^I'd install XP first, let Win7 automatically make a dual-boot between it and XP, then install Ubuntu, letting its installer automatically set up the triple-boot.
It would likely end up being that you'd have two layers of two choices each: linux/windows --> XP/7
But, that would be the easiest way. (Supposing that Ubuntu is able to detect win7 on the system, and you make sure that Ubuntu doesn't do anything to the MBR.)
Diablosblizz
It's possible, and as long as you can get in a Windows OS it's fixable if you mess up. There is a program that allows you to change the boot settings and the drive, it's called EasyBCD. Give it a try if you get stuck.
saratdear
ocalhoun wrote:
^I'd install XP first, let Win7 automatically make a dual-boot between it and XP, then install Ubuntu, letting its installer automatically set up the triple-boot.
It would likely end up being that you'd have two layers of two choices each: linux/windows --> XP/7
But, that would be the easiest way. (Supposing that Ubuntu is able to detect win7 on the system, and you make sure that Ubuntu doesn't do anything to the MBR.)

But Windows 7 already has set itself as the default boot manager (meaning, it is the first thing I see when I boot up, and I have to choose "Other Operating Systems" to get to SP). So I suppose GRUB will have an option for Other OS which brings up the Windows 7 one. Hm...complicated. Does anybody have any advice to give about other boot loaders (like GAG, for instance? )

@Diablosblizz - I will try it out. Thanks. Smile
coreymanshack
Grub is all you need >.>
FunDa
Grub can do it if Ubuntu is installed last. But since u already have an Ubuntu which u wouldn't want to reinstall, I would recommend using a bootable gPArted CD. It is there in the Ubuntu forums.

I suppose more detailed instructions on how to do triple boot would be there in the Ubuntu forums.
Jaan
Consider installing a third party boot manager like GRUB bootloader (I think that's what it's called Rolling Eyes )
I've tried doing that before... there's a specific sequence to do the install, or else it won't work and you'll have to change all the boot settings manually in BIOS or by editing the boot.ini file with a livecd or such.

Cheers