FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SQL SERVER

subirbasak
Hi friends,
I want to upload images into the SQL SERVER database using
VB. I want images to be stored in the database.
how can I do it? Question
badai
you can use blob. but not all DB support blob.

look for Binary large object (BLOB) in your db manual. if your db support it, its manual will have some example how to write your sql to upload a file. it doesn't matter what language you use for programming, your db will only support its own sql syntax, so set your mind free from "i'm using xxx" to program.
leontius
Most of the time it is easier to store the file in the filesystem and then just store the path / filename in the database. It's also more efficient this way (eg. if you want to serve the files as static content, just link/point to the path. No need to execute code, connect to DB, put it in temporary file etc)
badai
before there were blobs, people will store binary data as file and put its path in database.

then there were blobs.

why are people going from efficient to inefficient way? because their logic failed.

or maybe people just like the way they are, too lazy to change even for better.

the way i see it, thousands of db designer can't be wrong.

leontius wrote:
Most of the time it is easier to store the file in the filesystem and then just store the path / filename in the database. It's also more efficient this way (eg. if you want to serve the files as static content, just link/point to the path. No need to execute code, connect to DB, put it in temporary file etc)
leontius
Blobs have their own legitimate uses - binary caching, remote access to the blob, files that you need to process in some way before serving etc. But not to store local static files.
umeshtangnu
in MS SQL 2000 n above u have image data type
dont know bout others