FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what type of music are you into?

mrcool
i really do think we are what we listen to.. like what we listen to reflects how we are as a person.. am i right? heheh!

i am just curious.. i have brothers and a sister.. each one of them has its own type of music...one is reggae...the other is heavy metal, and also my older brother likes folk songs...
i listen to all of them.. and in a way, ive seen how their type of music being related to their personalities...
kanokkv
I'll go with you on that. I was once an hip pop fan and my life was kinda hip-popish...lol I now listen to country music which gives me some good chills.. Laughing
joostvane
Well, at school I have alot of metalheads, and its getting some kind of hype in my classgroup.

But, I stay with trance/techno/dance. Also, some good pop song now and then doesn't hurt. I don't like the screaming... Went to a concert of deathmetal (it wasn't the main act, they just put it between it as a warmup) and me and my friend just bursted into laugh when he started doing his soundchecks (WHOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!). We just found it funny and ridicilous, but some people like it. So: everybody has their own 'thing' I guess Wink
Helios
joostvane wrote:
Well, at school I have alot of metalheads, and its getting some kind of hype in my classgroup.

But, I stay with trance/techno/dance. Also, some good pop song now and then doesn't hurt. I don't like the screaming... Went to a concert of deathmetal (it wasn't the main act, they just put it between it as a warmup) and me and my friend just bursted into laugh when he started doing his soundchecks (WHOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!). We just found it funny and ridicilous, but some people like it. So: everybody has their own 'thing' I guess Wink

And they say metal is all serious business...
I listen to the most extreme styles of metal and have a good laugh from time to time at some bands, nothing wrong with that Wink
Techno and similar bassy-jumpy tracks give me a headache (honestly!), but some electronic music is nice - dark ambient for instance.
Classical music is also great, but, like with metal, you need to 'train your ears' to enjoy it.
Triple_7
Quote:

i really do think we are what we listen to.. like what we listen to reflects how we are as a person.. am i right?

That seems to follow true in most cases.

Personally listen to a lot of Country...I can relate to a lot of the songs, and grew up listening to it. But I slip in a little bit of other stuff once in awhile depending on my mood...in a bad or depressed mood tend to listen to artists like Seether, Godsmack, etc. Odd mood might pull out a little classical music I once played in a concert band and listen to the recordings.

About the only thing I will not listen too is Rap and anything in that category...never cared for it, and no one here really does. If it starts playing at the bar we all tend to leave for a different one.
tw34kfr34k
I like a really wide range of music except classic.
I Got about 40.000 times songs on my computer,i listened to all of them several times, and i play with them at least an hour a day in Traktor or Virtual DJ.
My favourites genres are rock en elektro
I listen to pretty new music most of the time,but nothing can beat the good old sound of groups like Metallica,AC/DC or Alice Cooper.
My heroes are Crookers and Soulwax,i hope i can become as good as them some day
ddukki
I've been listening to a lot of my softer CD's, lately, like Shane & Shane and Brooke Fraser. I've had an Alternative Rock phase and I still jam to them. The genre's that I usually listen to, though, are Hardcore, Alternative Rock, Christian Rock, Old School Rap and Hip-Hop, and KPop.
DMacD
Personally I am into rock and alternative music, people like 30 Seconds To Mars, Lostprophets, A Day To Remember, Alesana, Chiodos, Hadouken etc. (to quote a small portion of my iTunes) because they are more about the lyrics than the music itself. If you listen close enough, some of the lyrics are actually genius, and acoustic is very soothing.

I also like a bit of techno and electronica such as Faithless.

Bass beats are last resort, only used if I need to have a steady beat to run or cycle to.

In many ways, my song choice is very reflective of my personality and is primarily influenced by the people I am with at school.
forkei
I like the rock
MeddlingMonk
I probably prefer classical music the most (along with some soundtracks). Depending on what the artist and/or song is like, I also listen to a little bit of rock, pop and gospel.
Libby
I love punk music!!! Especially pop punk (not "pop" as in "popular", but pop as in a style that's "poppy" and fun), folk punk, even a little crust punk. So... Fifteen, Propagandhi, The Ergs, Defiance OH (see icon), Alkaline Trio, Dead Kennedys.... lots of bands.

And then there's old Fall Out Boy and some My Chemical Romance and stuff like that.

I also like folk music and old fashioned country. I love Woody Guthrie and Johnny Cash and Hank Sr and Lily May Ledford and so on.
Nutteloos
At the moment I'm moving more towards the Progressive / Alternative Rock genre. I find my taste changes a lot over the years so I try not to get too hung up on one style. I still have loads of metal CD's but I've grown a little weary of them lately.
bchuminx
a dose of light jazz and classical...althought at times a heavier inclination towards the latter. Been stuck with classical for a long time since childhood but now love to explore to game music and movie soundtracks...occasionally listen to some pop music =)
imera
For me it's easier to say what music I don't listen to, but usually I listen to all kinds of music, it's more about the songs than the music, only need great beat/music and good lyrics.

And I know about the music/personality thing, I have seen it many times, but of course those things may be wrong.

Take me for instant, I listen to many types of music and like many different types. Of course I enjoy more punk rock but that is mostly because I love the music they have, happy with speed. I am a nice girl, so people probably think I'm more into classical, pop or other sort of nice girl music, one of my sisters was shocked when she heard me listen t System of a Down, and my mother was surprised that I listen to rap.

so even if the music taste may reflect the personality to someone, then I don't think it's like that for everyone.
ikanep
i listen to everything... but my favorite would be bachata/salsa music.... and\or dance music
desonium
I listen also too everything, but rock is one of my favourites since I am playing guitar hero. The other kind of music I listen much to are top 40 songs.
Andrew426
ddukki wrote:
I've been listening to a lot of my softer CD's, lately, like Shane & Shane and Brooke Fraser.
Brook frasers pretty cool, I worked as roadcrew when she toured here 2 years ago. Winery tour, I think.

I listen to all kinds of music, But at the moment a lot of rockabilly, and some pop/club like kanye west, rihana etc. I used to listen exclusively to metal and punk, but its too angry for me.
Xanatos
Well my favorite kinds of music are blues and blues-rock. I do listen to a wide variety of other music as well, but these are my favorite.
Smiddie
i listen techno/dance and that types of music.
8166UY
I prefer Progressive, Trance and Dance. And I do believe that people reflect their music. The rockers have some energy they need to release, while people who listen Katie Melua have the need to get some rest in life.
sega-frontier
Oh my! Rolling Eyes
I'm into alot of different types of music. Mostly Metal or Rock, Hard rock i guess would be the short way to say it. Very Happy But I'll listen to all types, except rap. I guess the rap isn't all that bad, its just hard to find rap that isn't about either Murder or Gang related. When I am in the mood me and my friends will turn on some Techno music and someone will flick the lights on and off, and we will just have a rave party, its kinda funny cause they just bust out of nowhere. I also play guitar. I have a Schecter C-1 exotic, and a Silvertone Stratocaster. (look alike of course) I play most of the heavy stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Metallica and so on. But ill play some soft stuff. the first song I ever learned was "Whisky Luliby" by Brad Paisly. Its funny looking back at how much trouble i had learning that, and then just 20 mins ago i played "BYOB" by System of a Down with no problems at all.

The Rocker,
~Oxy~ Twisted Evil
xavekka
mrcool wrote:
i really do think we are what we listen to.. like what we listen to reflects how we are as a person.. am i right? heheh!

i am just curious.. i have brothers and a sister.. each one of them has its own type of music...one is reggae...the other is heavy metal, and also my older brother likes folk songs...
i listen to all of them.. and in a way, ive seen how their type of music being related to their personalities...

somany songs i use to here but i m fan of linkin park its my fav. band Long play (LP) record albums are 33⅓ rpm vinyl Gramophone records (phonograph records), generally either 10 or 12 inches in diameter. They were first introduced in 1948, and served as a primary release format for recorded music until the compact disc began to significantly displace them by 1988, and eventually leaving the mainstream in 1991. They do remain in production for some special-edition albums.

The long-playing record is an analog format. The digital recording of sound was only made practical by the technical advances in microprocessors and computing which occurred in the 1970s and 1980s.
traxion
hardstyle and hardcore Very Happy

i was 1 month ago on masters of hardcore: design the future, damm that party was good
Afaceinthematrix
My favorite kind of music is jazz. I also love classical, baroque music, and blues. I think that those are the best forms of music because everything that we listen to today evolved from those types of music. As far as modern day music, I like heavy metal, thrash metal, viking metal, hard rock, country, and cultural tribal music (like African music... especially from Mali).
Diablosblizz
It depends on my mood. If I am feeling good that day, I usually listen to a lot of techno, with the bass cranked up high. I really like DragonForce, it's a mix of heavy metal and techno (somewhat). I love anything metal, screaming and whatnot. Some people, including my parents, hate it but it's got some good guitar then I'm into it.

(Sorry for all the mistakes, I am tired.)
kghai3
im into rock music completely, iv heard everything from classics to contempary.
but i prefer classics more...bands like pink floyd and led zep .
lately iv started liking grunge alot...pearl jam and nirvana seem to soothe my soul Very Happy
Arseniy
Don't know. I'm a melomaniac Smile You can't see me walking around without my headphones. I prefer indie, rock, classics, punk, IDM, some rap, well... everything that you know Smile
The only thing that I can't listen to is electronic music. Seems a bit dead for me Sad
Denvis
I'm a fan of trance & rock =] I used to like metal but it gets boring and crap after a while, well to me it does.
novadream
It's kinda hard to describe what kind of music I like. I'm in to music that's chill but not mellow, if that makes any sense. :P

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

Dissolved Girl - Massive attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8QT4BEOTo

Destroy Everything you Touch - Ladytron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqGoHouoE0

Also, Power-Metal... but only when I need to be motivated. :3
[FuN]goku
For me, I change my music style every so often. I'll get bored of one genre for a while, then go back to the other. So I listen to the same stuff most of the time, just alternating genres Razz. But mainly I listen to alot of extreme metal (probably some of the same stuff as Helios Razz). Then my other favorites are various techno types. Hardcore, Trance, Electro. Lately however, I've been getting back into old 90's eurodance. Gotta love that stuff.
abemon16
I listen to mostly just hip-hop and rock. My two favorite bands are Metallica and Eminem. I also listen to Korn a bit. Pretty much all day I'm listening to music. I cant go a day without music. My music is my life, if somebody took away from me I dont know what I would do!!
macky
absolutely mrcool, Im a musician and through all years doing these things, i found out that the type of music reflects from personality they have. It's just simply what we called "Psycho-Plasma"!

Good observant mrcool!
ddukki
[FuN]goku wrote:
For me, I change my music style every so often. I'll get bored of one genre for a while, then go back to the other. So I listen to the same stuff most of the time, just alternating genres Razz. But mainly I listen to alot of extreme metal (probably some of the same stuff as Helios Razz). Then my other favorites are various techno types. Hardcore, Trance, Electro. Lately however, I've been getting back into old 90's eurodance. Gotta love that stuff.
I don't necessarily get bored of a genre, but I admit that I do flit back and forth between a couple. But right now, I've gotten into Japanese Rock, which is pretty strange for me. Usually, the lyrics are what draws me into a band. But for some reason the J-Rock genre is good purely in the musical sense. I'm basing this on a couple bands that I've listened to, since I've just started listening, but so far - so good.

Current Bands in Question:
The Pillows
Yui
Ikimono Gakari
Josso
www.last.fm/user/josso1
allmydownload
Music is an art form whose medium is sound organized in time. Common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture. The word derives from Greek μουσική (mousike), "(art) of the Muses".[1]

The creation, performance, significance, and even the definition of music vary according to culture and social context. Music ranges from strictly organized compositions (and their recreation in performance), through improvisational music to aleatoric forms. Music can be divided into genres and subgenres, although the dividing lines and relationships between music genres are often subtle, sometimes open to individual interpretation, and occasionally controversial. Within "the arts", music may be classified as a performing art, a fine art, and auditory art.
Nutteloos
abemon16 wrote:
I listen to mostly just hip-hop and rock. My two favorite bands are Metallica and Eminem. I also listen to Korn a bit. Pretty much all day I'm listening to music. I cant go a day without music. My music is my life, if somebody took away from me I dont know what I would do!!

Now there's a combination you don't hear about every day.. Smile
Radar
My taste is music seems to be largely governed by what people play around me. I don't actively go looking for music most of the time, so the new songs that I buy are taken from either movies, or what a friend has been playing near me, I've liked, and asked for the name of the band. Or just Googled the lyrics.

That said, the bands that I tend to actively pursue as a result of that process tend to be punk rock in at least some respect.
DJLoneWolf
I like Techno,Trance,Dance,Rave,Metal and Gothic. Favourite band from Gothic is Theatre Of Tragedy. Favourite band from Metal is Slipknot. Favourite DJ from Techno is DJ ExeCute. Favourite DJ from Trance is Me Razz. Favourite DJ from Dance is Basshunter and last but not least my favourite DJ from Rave is DJ Pila
Asap170
I really have a wide variety of music. I mostly like Country, but I listen to Katy Perry, Elvis Presley.... And much more.[/code]
evilgeniuself
I enjoy all styles, but my favorites would be alternative and classical as my favorites. Or you could just classify me under what David Bowie does.
Phinx
I'm in to the metal and rock genre, and in to a lot of the branches that come out of them: speed/power/heavy metal, classic/hard rock and many more, including mixtures with folk. I skip death and brutal metal and everything that has growling and screaming instead of lyrics. Just yesterday i saw a band in one of the local venues. I mean i know they were actually singing, but because the band incorporates a 'screamer' as a vocalist, you can't make out a single word. I ain't dissing these genres, it's just no my thing. And i concentrate more on old bands: AC/DC, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, Judas Priest...
_AVG_
All Metal.

Mostly Melodic Death Metal like Children of Bodom, etc.

Speed and Power Metal like Dragon Force, Metallica, etc.

Once in a while Progressive Metal and Rock like Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, etc.
siren123
I'm into all genre's of music but my absolute favorite would have to be punk rock.
Bluedoll
I like country music. Always have, always will.
Ryo13
for bands it's always Blues, Melodic, Rock, and Hardcore. for DJ. Nu Disco, Progressive, Headbangers, Electronica:)
rogue_skydragon
I might get some bashing for this, but I listen to a lot of indie rock. Bands like Desaparacedos, The Redwalls, and Moving Units are my cup o' tea. But don't get me wrong, I'm into a lot of other genres as well. Jazz is one of the loves of my life...Billie Holiday, Benny Goodman, Miles Davis...they're all great.