FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Natasha Richardson's Sudden Passing

deanhills
Natasha Richardson's sudden passing in a freak beginner ski slope is really sad. She will be remembered for the Parent Trap with Dennis Quid and Lindsay Logan. Beautiful and gracious lady. Her mom is Vanessa Redgrave. She was married to Liam Neeson. Sort of a Fairy Tale Romance that has lasted for longer than most marriages. They were living in New York. Apparently she comes from a family that has had more than its share of tragedies over a few generations. She was one of the exceptions that seemed to have got it right, until fate struck a bad blow as well.
malcolmpreen
Unfortunately, the sad lesson here is that it is always worth wearing a helmet.... and if what I read is correct, then the final outcome could have been prevented by seeking medical attention immediately which was recommended, but rejected. (Of course this is second/third hand so may be wrong).

Its always sad to hear of premature death... although if this highlights the need to wear helmets (rumours I have heard are saying that they were trying to get it made compulsory at Tremblant).

Malcolm
eday2010
I don't know if ski helmets should be mandatory. If you are so stupid that you want to go flying down a snow covered mountain with no helmet, then you it's your choice and you are the one who has to live (or die) with the decision.

On the other hand, mandatory helmets would protect those stupid people from themselves, and protect their family, because it's the family that has to deal with the death.

I don't really have sympathy for her. It's sad that she died, but it's her own fault. She should have been wearing a helmet, especially if she wasn't a very good skier.
deanhills
eday2010 wrote:
I don't know if ski helmets should be mandatory. If you are so stupid that you want to go flying down a snow covered mountain with no helmet, then you it's your choice and you are the one who has to live (or die) with the decision.

On the other hand, mandatory helmets would protect those stupid people from themselves, and protect their family, because it's the family that has to deal with the death.

I don't really have sympathy for her. It's sad that she died, but it's her own fault. She should have been wearing a helmet, especially if she wasn't a very good skier.

This was her first skiing experience. She was learning to ski for the first time. So I can imagine some of the blame should be on the people who were teaching her to ski. First thing you need to teach, and I think that is a rule everywhere in Canada where there is a risk attached to sport, is safety. And the need for wearing a helmet.

I thought that part of the problem was that they could not get a medical helicopter soon enough as well. There was a delay, so possibly some of it was just bad luck in bad timing. I don't think it was her fault.