FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Green H Studios Preview

Parkour_Jarrod
Here's a preview of the new Green H Studios Site to be finished in April

Please comment on what you think and can i improve it with different background colour choices?
LostOverThere
I think you should move towards a background (the green) colour scheme similar to Piriform. Its lighter, brighter and a lot more easy on the eyes.

Furthermore, I think you should make the drop down menus easier to read. Usability should always come first.

Otherwise - good job.
Parkour_Jarrod
Do you mean like

keane
Gray border on a bright green box is a big NO. Sad
Ghost Rider103
It's not too bad looking.

Though if I were you, I would do a dark background. Like a dark shade of gray. But not too dark.

Also on the navigation buttons, that just green color doesn't look too good. Try using a soft gradient for the button. Like the same shade of green you have now, but then make a gradient with another darker green shade. Maybe even a gray color close to black. It would just make things look so much better. That one color on the navigation bar just doesn't look good at all. Just don't overdo the gradient to where you have two completely different shades of green. It needs to somewhat flow.

Hope some of this helps. Keep posting your progress so we can see!
Parkour_Jarrod
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Though if I were you, I would do a dark background. Like a dark shade of gray. But not too dark.

Also on the navigation buttons, that just green color doesn't look too good. Try using a soft gradient for the button. Like the same shade of green you have now, but then make a gradient with another darker green shade. Maybe even a gray color close to black. It would just make things look so much better. That one color on the navigation bar just doesn't look good at all. Just don't overdo the gradient to where you have two completely different shades of green. It needs to somewhat flow.

Im going to be keeping the white background because it suits teh content that i will be putting into my site, the text divs and such will have a grey background on teh white.

And ive attempted to do the gradient on the buttons but when i make a image repeat-x with the gradient it doesn't work, is there a way to do it with no image? if so can you tell me?
Ghost Rider103
I didn't mean change your white background. I was talking about the very background, then one that you currently have green. That color and white do not go well at all. The white is fine, but the green background has got to go.

I am no programmer, so I wouldn't know. But I do know there is a way to do it. Ask in the php forum or something.
Star Wars Fanatic
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Im going to be keeping the white background because it suits teh content that i will be putting into my site, the text divs and such will have a grey background on teh white.

And ive attempted to do the gradient on the buttons but when i make a image repeat-x with the gradient it doesn't work, is there a way to do it with no image? if so can you tell me?

Use a background image and repeat-x, yea, you should be able to do it no problem. If you have any problems send me a message and I can work it out.

And your site looks nice, I suggest trying a gradient for the main background, maybe a light green to a dark green. The exact color you have now is a little off for the rest of the elements.
I also suggest changing the border of the navs, that gray is horrendous.

Looking good so far!
Parkour_Jarrod
Well i took all of your idea's into account (the grey border especially because that was only for tests for the length of text if it would fit:P) i attempted to do gradient buttons but it didnt work so i found some colours that i like and made them the buttons, click below to see latest look:

Star Wars Fanatic
That looks a lot better, Parkour_Jarrod, and I like the background, that's a nice blend going on. I still think the colors are off for the nav, but it looks better.
Ghost Rider103
I'm not really liking that background, it just seems a bit too busy for a background. But it is definitely looking better.

As for the navigation, I can't stand looking at that, it just doesn't look right. So I had some extra time (not much) and I decided I'd show you myself what I was talking about.

As you can see it is a gradient, but the color differences in the gradient are very small, giving it a nice smooth effect. I also added a faded white bar through the middle to give it a very small glossy effect that way it isn't so plain. The smallest details make the biggest difference.

If you want to use that I don't mind, PM me your email and I'll just send you the .psd of what I did.

EDIT: If you do want it, I can do the drop down menu to fit this navigation as well if you'd like.
LostOverThere
That looks really nice Ghost Rider 103. Parkour_Jarrod - use that. Smile
speeDemon
try this one out, right now I've made only the first button active..

I've basically used the same concept, which was used by ghost rider 103.. but I've added shading, and when you roll over, there is a small glow...

tel me if you like it... if ya do, then I'll try to complete it..

and ya, if it doesnt load, then refresh the page Wink
Parkour_Jarrod
I do like it, it would be great if you could finish it, thanks man Smile
coreymanshack
Much like the others I don't think the buttons are right Smile
speeDemon
speeDemon wrote:
Edit:
actaully, I have edited the whole thing!! Very Happy

ok, here is something I made... i.e. finished.. it was a new file, I deleted the old one.. the amazing thing was, that I made the menus move up and down without using even 1 bit of animation! its all done by actionscript, and maybe thats why it so precise too..

but you'll have to give me lots of details before you can use this menu... actually, editing the file is not a good option for you... because the flash file is a bit complex... though you may try..

I want the following details to complete the thing:

1)Number of options in each drop down menu(Very Important)
2)URLs of all the pages which are to be linked
3)The names of all the options
4)Which buttons have to make even more menus come up... that means that, well, I'll draw it again..! Very Happy :

<button1>

on hover:

<button1>
.<option1>
.<option2>
.<option3>

on hovering options:

<button1>
.<option1>
.<option2><secondary option1>
.<option3><secondary option2>

are you getting the point?

you'll have to tell me the number of 'secondary options' and the buttons in which there will be 'secondary options'...

Actaully you can edit the names, and URLs... but the rest will be a problem... you will surely have to
tell me the number of buttons, and the 'secondary options' thing...Very Happy

actually I posted this in the marketplace.. so I thought posting it with quotes would be a good idea Very Happy...
Donutey
I really like how you're design has advanced. I would suggest keeping the gradient, but have it transition from green to white over a shorter distance to help keep the design tighter and more cohesive.
speeDemon
Donutey are you talking to me...
jylan
speeDemon, you've got quite a nice design there but its a pity that its all flash, usually this type of menu can't be read properly by search engines or blind users. The same effect could be achieved with HTML/CSS & Javascript over the top, and then it would be readable for everyone Smile.
Parkour_Jarrod
jylan wrote:
speeDemon, you've got quite a nice design there but its a pity that its all flash, usually this type of menu can't be read properly by search engines or blind users. The same effect could be achieved with HTML/CSS & Javascript over the top, and then it would be readable for everyone Smile.

Are you able to make me a menu like that?
jylan
Hi,

Yeah I could, but I think Ghost Rider already made what I was talking about, looks like he coded it up as well.
Parkour_Jarrod
jylan wrote:
Hi,

Yeah I could, but I think Ghost Rider already made what I was talking about, looks like he coded it up as well.

Actually he hasn't thats just a photoshop of what he thinks it should look like, he doesnt have any of the code/images at all as content is a secret until site is release.
speeDemon
jylan wrote:
Hi,

I think that you should! Razz

Beacuse the kind of menu I will make will have to be really complicated! I can tell you how I made it though, I mean, even though the scripting language is different, I guess the main funtions will remain the same!

Another thing is that it needs layerss to be made in the html script... otherwise, the whole dropdown thing won't work well!

Ah..... if you could make it, then it'll take off a lot of load from me... Very Happy
Parkour_Jarrod
speeDemon wrote:
jylan wrote:
Hi,

I think that you should! Razz

Beacuse the kind of menu I will make will have to be really complicated! I can tell you how I made it though, I mean, even though the scripting language is different, I guess the main funtions will remain the same!

Another thing is that it needs layerss to be made in the html script... otherwise, the whole dropdown thing won't work well!

Ah..... if you could make it, then it'll take off a lot of load from me... Very Happy

Yeah ive decided to stay away from a flash DDM because of the complexity and the fact that my site will be constantly changing but i gave you 10 Frih for you work anyways.
speeDemon
hey thanks!
Ghost Rider103
Sorry guys, I did just send the .psd file to the navigation I made to Parkour_jarrod.

Sorry for that delay, I have been busy lately.
speeDemon
you should complete it ghost rider103 !! really, it looks great, my flash one has got a lot of complications!!
Ghost Rider103
Well I can't do any coding.

I could complete it with the drop down menu, but I really don't have any time to do that. If whoever ends up coding it needs some help or wants me to finish it just PM me and I'll see if I can find some time to finish it.
nivinjoy
The menu by Ghostrider was nice...!! make use of it..!! Waiting for the new revamped site to be launched..!!
Parkour_Jarrod
Due to some unexpected delays site launch will be postponed to mid May, in other news the original DDM has to be used because all of the nice gradient ones kept delaying...
nivinjoy
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Due to some unexpected delays site launch will be postponed to mid May, in other news the original DDM has to be used because all of the nice gradient ones kept delaying...

So i will wait till mid May for the new site to launch...!!! I expect a grand site by that time...!! Ok...??
Parkour_Jarrod
nivinjoy wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

So i will wait till mid May for the new site to launch...!!! I expect a grand site by that time...!! Ok...??

I'lll try, school been bit demanding though Razz