FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cpanel, so many views???!!!! no way!

speeDemon
Hey people!

I made a website in june 08.. and then I came to frihost for the hosting account..

Today, I was just surfing around Cpanel, just to do something, but I landed somewhere else... and it was quite interesting...!! Smile

It told me all the views of my website, i.e. the number of people who have viewed it...

it included Unique visitors, Number of visits, Pages, Hits, Bandwidth...

I used to think that on an average, in a month, 1-5 people must be viewing my website, or maybe no one would be watching it! but the numbers there were quite promising!

this was the total data for 2009:

Unique visitors - 250
Number of visits - 330
Pages - 2550
Hits - 9013
Bandwidth - 50.99 MB

Can you tell me how the hell this is happening!!??

I mean, I really thought that no one, absolutely no one was taking a look at my website!! is this some error, or is this natural, or moreover, is this a 'poor' number of views, which even the worst website in the world gets??!!

or is this actually a good number of views..??

1 more thing, I usually watch my own website a lot.... I mean, I just love surfing around my own website, and sort of admiring it Wink

so is that the reason the numbers are so high??

And ya, it says that it does no include traffic generated by robots, worms, or replies with special HTTP status codes.

any help will be appretiated!
AftershockVibe
You have to remember that most search engines will regularly scrape the content from your site. That can easily get you a few hundred hits a month.
Bondings
It is probably mostly search engines. And if you have some interesting pages, maybe you get visitors from search engines. And a search engine crawler may have a lot of different ip's.

The point of the visitors is also (I think) that it only counts them per day and then adds those. So every time you visit your website on a different day, it counts as a different visitor.
speeDemon
Bondings wrote:
It is probably mostly search engines. And if you have some interesting pages, maybe you get visitors from search engines. And a search engine crawler may have a lot of different ip's.

The point of the visitors is also (I think) that it only counts them per day and then adds those. So every time you visit your website on a different day, it counts as a different visitor.

then is this statement wrong?

Quote:
it does no include traffic generated by robots, worms, or replies with special HTTP status codes
sonam
Quote:

My answer is "No" because you have 250 unique visitors and 330 number of total visits. I think this statistic is based on IP what is quite relevant. In that case 249 visitors are comming from search engines and one is you. Maybe you are comming 81 times because total visitors are higher then uniqe. Of course, I don't know what happend if you come behind proxy or if is your IP changed for any other reason but I think your site have visitors. Very Happy

Sonam
Bondings
speeDemon wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Quote:
it does no include traffic generated by robots, worms, or replies with special HTTP status codes

Either that message is not completely accurate or I am wrong.

By the way, a lot of bots (usually the bad ones) disguise themselves as real visitors and those are very very likely counted by the statistics.
cr3ativ3
And their are links to your site on these forums, (the "www" link below your posts). You could easily be getting visitors through that avenue. Not all bots and worms can be detected by the request they send, as Bondings previously said (doesnt mean their bad).

You also have some flash applets on your site from what I can see, this could very easily be using quite a bit of bandwidth. In any case, its just a statistical anomaly.
speeDemon
cr3ativ3 wrote:
And their are links to your site on these forums, (the "www" link below your posts). You could easily be getting visitors through that avenue. Not all bots and worms can be detected by the request they send, as Bondings previously said (doesnt mean their bad).

You also have some flash applets on your site from what I can see, this could very easily be using quite a bit of bandwidth. In any case, its just a statistical anomaly.

ok, thanks bondings and cr3ativ3

Hey moderators, you around there?? I got my answers, you can close this post now!
mathiaus
speeDemon wrote:
Hey moderators, you around there?? I got my answers, you can close this post now!

-close-