FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost contests: suggestions & admin sign-up

Finding out how much interest there is:
I would enjoy being a contest admin, and participating in the contests.
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
I would participate in almost all the contests
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
I would participate in the type of contests that I'm good at, but not any others
47%
 47%  [ 17 ]
I probably wouldn't participate in any of the contests
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 36

ocalhoun
So, here's the idea: Every two months, there will be a semi-official Frihost contest.
Each contest will be different. One might be an image-editing contest, the next might be a short-story contest, and the one after that might be a contest for the best joke, and the next? Who knows? Hopefully, with the attention the featured discussion link brings, this series of contests can actually be successful in the long term.

Prizes:
Frih$ may or may not be offered as a prize, but one prize will be that the winner of one contest will get to decide the theme for the next. (For example, the winner might give the theme topic of a short-story contest, or might say that the image-editing contest should edit a screenshot from the matrix.)

There may also be a super-grand prize. In order to win this prize, you'd have to win, say, 5 individual contests. This prize will have real cash value, such as a gift certificate or a domain name.

The Contest Admin Team:
Members of the contest admin team will take turns administrating the contests. This would entail making the thread for that contest (all the parts of it, including the announcement of winners, the poll for the next winner, and the description of the current contest). The current admin would also be in charge of making sure that the winner announced in the current thread gets his/her prize(s), and asking for the new contest's thread to be put into the featured discussions. I'm hoping to find 5 or more people to do this, so that they'd only have to do it once every 10 months. (That doesn't sound so hard, now does it?) I'm not sure if the contest admin for the current contest should be allowed to participate in the current contest. The current contest admin would also be in charge of deciding what kind of contest the current one should be. (Following certain guidelines, such as it has to be something that you can vote for the best in, and it shouldn't be the same as the last one.)

Deciding a winner:
Each contest's thread will include a poll to decide the winner of the previous one. You'll have 6 weeks to decide the winner by voting: this means that there will be 2 weeks left for the winner to give the next contest admin the theme for the next contest.

Who can play?
Any Frihost member, except the current contest admin might be excluded, to make sure that it is fair.

Who can be a contest admin?
Again, any Frihost member can. (It would be good, however, to have admins who are very active here, so that they can be counted on to be available when it is their turn.) If you want to be a contest admin, please post a reply here, and tell us!

Who is volunteering to be a contest admin so far?
-ocalhoun
-deanhills
-truespeed
-Parkour_Jarrod
-speeDemon
-Arseniy
-redslazers
-you?
(updated 25th March)
(Spots filled: 7 out of a maximum of 12)

I think it could be better a different way:
Please give your suggestions as replies here! It will be much easier to change the rules of the contest now, before it gets started.
andredesignz
carlospro7
I don't know how realistic this is, but since all Frihost members have PHP support and this all happens in the web, how does a PHP programming contest sound. I think it would be interesting, since most contests are usually image contests. Just a thought.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

Who is volunteering to be a contest admin so far?
-you?
(updated 19th March)

Thanks for the perfect proposal. Count me in as a volunteer contest admin Smile
SpellcasterDX
I'd participate in certain contests, depending on whether I have time and whether I think I can do decently in that particular contest.
jessicawalker
This would be fun!
truespeed
I would go with one contest a month,my short story contest ran for two months,mainly because it clashed with xmas and new year,and also because it took 2 weeks to get it made into a featured discussion.

Every 2 months,means only 6 contests a year,so i would go with 1 a month,make sure they are instantly and properly advertised,and monthly winners announced,so it becomes a regular feature of the forums.

I like the idea of having ever changing contests,and not set ones that everybody over time becomes bored of.

ps: I don't mind running one of the contests.
Parkour_Jarrod
Sure i would do all of it, it gives me a chance to grasp my skills as what ever the contest entails.

I would love to be a Contest Admin but i doubt that you would call me a large enough contributor to the frihost forums at the moment Confused

But ill do all i can Very Happy
airh3ad
That could be interesting to join the contest. good lock to everyone.
truespeed
It seems the writing contest is going to be a separate,hopefully regular thing. See Here

One idea i would add here is ,a comic strip,you could maybe choose a theme for it, Or you could just leave it open to anything.

There are even comic strip generators like this one to help.

I made one as an example.

ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
It seems the writing contest is going to be a separate,hopefully regular thing. See Here

That would be good: I'm thinking that relatively long stories would be too much reading for people to vote on easily.
Quote:

One idea i would add here is ,a comic strip,you could maybe choose a theme for it, Or you could just leave it open to anything.

There are even comic strip generators like this one to help.

I made one as an example.

A great idea for a contest type, and one I hadn't thought of... Just save it for your turn as contest admin. That's another benefit of having a team of people for contest admins: a larger variety of creative contest types!

truespeed wrote:
I would go with one contest a month,

I was leaning towards that now too...
I was thinking that waiting almost 6 months from the time you posted an entry to the time you were announced the winner was far too long.

Some new updates:
-Awards figured out:
Super-Prize (win 5 rounds): ???????
First Place: 500 frih$ and decision of the next round's theme.
Runner Up: 250 frih$
Speed Demon (first un-edited entry): 70 frih$ (Rewards people who watch for the next contest to start, and get it done in a hurry.)
Procrastinator (last entry): $30 frih$ (Provides incentive to add another entry, even though the deadline is close.)
King of the Losers (last place): 150 frih$ (Provides incentive to add an entry, even if you're sure you can't beat the ones already posted.)
(Comes up to a total of 1000 frih$ per month)

-Should be once a month, not every 2 months

-Thought of a name: 'the Frihost Games' (Using a theme resembling the Olympic games.) (Feel free to suggest a better name!)

-Thinking of starting the first round in mid-April

A couple of things I could use some help with:
-What should the Super-Prize be?
-What should be the type and theme of the first round?
-Would admins/mods be willing to provide prize frih$, especially to contest admins who don't have enough?
adri
ocalhoun wrote:

Some new updates:
-Awards figured out:
Super-Prize (win 5 rounds): ???????
First Place: 500 frih$ and decision of the next round's theme.
Runner Up: 250 frih$
Speed Demon (first un-edited entry): 70 frih$ (Rewards people who watch for the next contest to start, and get it done in a hurry.)
Procrastinator (last entry): $30 frih$ (Provides incentive to add another entry, even though the deadline is close.)
King of the Losers (last place): 150 frih$ (Provides incentive to add an entry, even if you're sure you can't beat the ones already posted.)
(Comes up to a total of 1000 frih$ per month)

I would do it like this:
Winner: 650frih$
Second: 150frih$
Speed Demon: 75frih$
Procrastinator: 75frih$
King of the Losers: 50frih$

I wouldn't give to much to the "Loser" because this would give some people the idea to just write or draw something and send it in without having done too much effort.

Adri
deanhills
Almost missed Truespeed's comic strip, sort of hidden, but really awesome, Laughing Laughing You really have a "good eye" for a discussion Truespeed, hilarious Laughing !

ocalhoun
adri wrote:

I would do it like this:
Winner: 650frih$
Second: 150frih$
Speed Demon: 75frih$
Procrastinator: 75frih$
King of the Losers: 50frih$

I wouldn't give to much to the "Loser" because this would give some people the idea to just write or draw something and send it in without having done too much effort.

Adri

How about:
Winner: 550
Second: 250 (figured winner and 2nd should be closer together.)
Speed Demon: 75
Procrastinator: 25 (wanted speed demon to be better than procrastinator.)
King of the Losers: 100 (wanted loser prize to still be significant, because maximum participation is important... Really, it comes down to wondering how often someone will intentionally try for that prize... Mainly, I'm also thinking that the frih$ isn't a big incentive. I'd figure on the recognition of winning, getting to decide the theme of the next round, and the hope of getting the super-prize would be the real reasons people participate.)

I guess that's another thing I could use some opinions about: how big should the loser prize be?

A couple of things to keep in mind about the loser prize:
-If it becomes a problem, we can make a rule that one person can't win the loser prize two rounds in a row.
-The loser prize will be the most prone to being split up by a tie: it's more likely for two entries to both get 2 votes each for the lose than it is for two entries to both get 31 votes each for the win.
-Even junk participation is better than none, as long as it isn't excessive.
mathiaus
I like the idea.
I would take part in some if I felt I could do well.
I would certainly take part in a PHP coding one as suggested if that ever came to anything!

I liked the comic strip Razz
Fatality

I think this an awesome idea. Sounds like a lot of fun. I should be able to find time on the weekends to participate. Even if I don't win anything I think it will be a fun community event. Great Idea, can't wait to see it get started.
speeDemon
Count mee in, in the admin volunteering list!!

just a question... from where will the admins get frih$ to give to the winners? cuz I'm kindda poor right now!!

And ya, how do you figure out the speed demon??

my username is "speeDemom" !! Very Happy Razz
Arseniy
Count me everywhere Smile
If I should not get lazy in the time of the contest, I'm in as a volunteer for any functions!
ocalhoun
speeDemon wrote:

And ya, how do you figure out the speed demon??

my username is "speeDemom" !! Very Happy Razz

Entirely a coincidence. ^.^
You're going to have to try for that prize in one of the rounds... it would just be poetic.

Changes
-Made maximum number of contest admins 12.

-Decided that contest admins with less than 1000 frih$ can still be on the team, but can't run contests until they get 1000 frih$... (unless frihost mods/admins say they would provide prize frih$)

-Made a logo, as well as some other images to use with the contest:

-Made a template for each round's first post:
I wrote:

[url={ (url of previous contest's thread, page 1) }]Previous Contest[/url] | List of Winners | Contest Admin's Templates & Checklist

Welcome to the Frihost Games Round { }!
The admin for this round is { (your name) }.

These contests last one month each, and will continue as long as there is good participation in them.
The contest admin will describe this round's contest, then you can make an entry and post it as a reply here. Then, your fellow Frihosters will vote for the winner, and if it is you, you'll get fabulous prizes!
Everyone can play, and even if you don't think you're good enough, try anyway: the more entries the better, and sometimes the voters can surprise you with their decisions.
Even if you don't expect to win, play!

The fabulous prizes up for grabs:
1st place: 550frih$ and Decide the theme for the next round!
Runner Up: 250frih$
Speed Demon (first un-edited entry): 75frih$
Procrastinator (last entry): 25frih$
King of the Loosers (last place): 150frih$
Super-Prize (win 5 rounds): ???????????????????????????????????????
{ (If somebody just won the Super-Prize, say so here, and add that a new, different, super-prize will be offered soon, then put a '?' there instead.) }

Congratulations to the winner of round { }:
{ (winner's name) }: { (how many he/she has won: examples: first win, third win) }
The winning entry:
{

(whatever that winner submitted in order to win.)

}
Runner Up: { (2nd place winner's name) }
King of the Loosers: { (name of person who came in last place) }

A: { (contestant A's name) } -The Speed Demon!
{ (contestant A's name) } wrote:
{ (contestant A's entry) }

B: { (contestant B's name) }
{ (contestant B's name) } wrote:
{ (contestant B's entry) }

{ }: { (last contestant's name) } -The Procrastinator!
{ (last contestant's name) } wrote:
{ (last contestant's entry) }

{ (Continue on with all the contestants who entered the previous round (excluding disqualified ones). Enter them in the order that they submitted their entries. }

{ (description of the current contest, it should include some input from the winner from two rounds ago!) }
{ (When making a contest remember: It should be relatively easy. Submitted entries should be easy to vote on (no epic novel contests!) The winner should be decided by a vote (no 'the first to ______' type contests.) It should allow them to use their creativity.) }
{ (acceptable contest type examples: edit-the-image, write-a-haiku, photography, write-a-very-short-story, funniest-short-joke, invent-a-_____, write-a-gravestone, best-quote-found-on-Frihost, best-new-use-for-a-______, best-quote, et cetera... feel free to think of a new one) }
{ (You get to choose which type of contest, the winner from two rounds ago chooses the subject: what image to edit, what to write about, et cetera. Be sure to tell that person what he/she is deciding the theme of.) }

1: { (a rule that applies to this round only) }
2: { (another rule that applies only to this round) }
3: { (and so on for as many or as few rules as you need for this round) }

One Entry Per Person: You can only submit one entry per contest. If you submit two, only the older one will be voted on. If you want to change your entry, EDIT YOUR POST!
No Copying: Do not copy another person's work! If the contest admin decides that you copied anther entry, you'll be disqualified from this round.
Disputes: If you have a problem, such as someone else copying you, PM the contest admin for this round, NOT the Frihost staff.
Time Limit: You have 30 days from the date (and time) of this post to submit an entry. Late entries cannot be added in: no exceptions.
Voting: Your entry will be voted on for 15 days from the date of the next contest's first post. You may vote if you entered, but vote for the best, even if it isn't your own.
Ties: If two entries are tied for an award, they split the frih$ prize and the earlier entry gets any prize that cannot be split up.
No Admin Entries: The contest admin for this round may not participate because his/her role in choosing the type and settling disputes could be abused.
Image Size: If your entry includes an image larger than 600x800, post a link (or thumbnail link) to it, not the image itself. Smaller images should always be posted in-line.
Rule Breaking: Failure to follow the above rules might disqualify you from this round of the contest.

Questions about how to participate? Post 'em, or PM this round's contest admin.
Comments about the entries of the previous round? Post them, too.
Entries for this round? They get posted in this thread, too.
Want to be on the contest admin team? PM this round's admin.
Good luck, contestants!
deanhills
Good work ocalhoun, thanks!

I have two enquiries:

Jsarnold is running a short story contest in the "contest forum":

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104637.html

The deadline for his contest is 27 April.

How will it fit in, or will we have contests that may run separately from what we are planning right now?

Also, how will we work the prize money. Will this be coming from the moderators as per rvec's explanation?
ocalhoun
^It'll be completely separate from the short story contest.

If any prize money will be coming from Mods or not? I don't know... waiting on word from them!
mathiaus
I'll donate $500 frih to start with.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:

If any prize money will be coming from Mods or not? I don't know... waiting on word from them!

With the short story contest we agreed with the mods to fund the contests,so i see no reason why they wouldn't fund this contest to.
speeDemon
soo, when do we start?

I'd really love to see some admins start off things, so that I get a goood idea of how to run them myself... Very Happy

mathiaus wrote:
I'll donate $500 frih to start with.

so, are there any other mods.. who are generous enough??!! Razz
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

With the short story contest we agreed with the mods to fund the contests,so i see no reason why they wouldn't fund this contest to.

Exactly, maywe we can ask rvec. Perhaps it is just a technical detail anyways. Since we are agreed on everything. Perhaps we can get going on the first contest?

I guess our next step is to decide who gets to make the first suggestion for the contest.

Who gets to make the first suggestion for the contest?
I vote for Ocalhoun as Ocalhoun has done a lot of hard work to put the suggestion together.
truespeed
I think as well as a list of contest organizers in the first post,there should also be a list of contest types,so if people start suggesting a few,ocalhoun can add them to the list,that way if the suggestion is that someone who wins a contest gets to choose the next one,at least if he/she can't think of one,he/she has a selected list to choose from.
speeDemon
truespeed wrote:
I think as well as a list of contest organizers in the first post,there should also be a list of contest types,so if people start suggesting a few,ocalhoun can add them to the list,that way if the suggestion is that someone who wins a contest gets to choose the next one,at least if he/she can't think of one,he/she has a selected list to choose from.

yaa the list would help a lot, and no confusion will be created..

edit:
And ya, there should be a rule that no consecutive contests can have the same theme..
So can I publicly ask the mods for the donation stuff? I mean, can I be counted in, in the admin team, and start off some duties by arranging the prize money? (1000 frih$)

I won't take them, i'll just ask if they would be happy to provide it.. to the first admin...
or maybe we can have some money manager.. who can get the frih$ in every competition, and give it to the respective admin..

he'll get the money each time... just a stupid Idea though! Rolling Eyes
deanhills
truespeed wrote:

Right on, how should we go about it, just come up with suggestions?

You and Ocalhoun (and I am sure many others) are creative with ideas, I will come up with ones that have probably already been mentioned:

1. Contest for Logo for Frihost - there should be specifications for it as to size etc.
2. Most innovative Website design - it has to be a Frihost Website, again there should be specifications for it.
3. Contest for the nicest Frihost Avatar

That's it for now. I'm sure there must be others with much better suggestions Smile
speeDemon
deanhills wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Right on, how should we go about it, just come up with suggestions?

You and Ocalhoun (and I am sure many others) are creative with ideas, I will come up with ones that have probably already been mentioned:

1. Contest for Logo for Frihost - there should be specifications for it as to size etc.
2. Most innovative Website design - it has to be a Frihost Website, again there should be specifications for it.
3. Contest for the nicest Frihost Avatar

That's it for now. I'm sure there must be others with much better suggestions Smile

I like the idea of the "Contest for Logo for Frihost" and the "Contest for the nicest Frihost Avatar"!
the "Most innovative Website design" doesn't really appeal to me, it seems to be a bit complex... I mean the rules and all...

We can also have a contest for the best caption... we can give a picture, and asj the contestants for the best caption... small and sweet.. its not even difficult to judge! Razz

edit:
And yaa, how do we decide the deadline time... I mean, I live in India, and the time is about GMT+5.5 Hours..

and other people living in other places will have different times.. so the end time(deadline) will be different.. so choosing the procrastinator.. will be even more difficult... or maybe we can choose the GMT to be the standard time... or maybe we can choose the GMT + 4 hours(Frihost's time) to be the general time..
truespeed
I think there's also an argument for,instead of posting entries into the contest thread,all entries should be sent to the contest admin,then posted all together when the contest ends to be voted upon.

This would stop people being put off entering if they see an entry of high quality,and think what's the point.

Also they may have an idea,but see something similar has already been done and again not submit an entry.

So my idea is that they all get sent to the contest admin,so nobody knows who has done what till the contest is over.

Idea's for contests.

1: photoshop (Ocalhoun's old contest revamped)
2: comic strip
3: php (seems a popular idea,though i am not sure how this would work)
4: A webpage,as in a template,index page for a make believe site,obviously you would have to choose a different theme each time. (Examples could be american idol fan site,world war 2,atheists homepage... anything really.
5: t-shirt design (Maybe theme it or leave it open,though probably themed would be better,you could even start with a frihost t-shirt design.

I am sure others can come up with more and better ideas.
Parkour_Jarrod
truespeed wrote:
4: A webpage,as in a template,index page for a make believe site,obviously you would have to choose a different theme each time. (Examples could be american idol fan site,world war 2,atheists homepage... anything really.

With this it would have to be a more global approach because an "American Idol" one is a very bad idea, as most of the people that use frihost are from India or Europe and myself im from Australia, so i wouldn't know what the latest stuff is happening on the American TV screen, it would be better to be a film review site or a film fan page over a TV show, but otherwise great idea.
truespeed
^^ I just threw in American Idol as a random suggestion,but the type wasn't important,the suggestion was more about the idea of designing a web page than the web page type suggestion.

Another idea would be a....

6: photography contest,everyone has a digital camera these days,if not a stand alone one,they usually have one on their phones,so a photography contest would be good,i guess again it would have to be themed,to keep it fair and to make each entry more comparable.
Parkour_Jarrod
Another one that i think would be good is a short film contest revolving around a certain theme:

for example a couple of years ago LostOverThere and i were in the same media class (we go to same school, best of mates) and we had to make a short film around the theme of "Film Noir" now i cant remember the full description of the theme but basically it had to be like Paul Newman's film "The Hustler" with using the shadows to emphasize mood; so we made a film called "The Last Eagle" it was a 12 minute long film along the lines of Pearl Harbor, a Pilot goes off to war leaving his Girlfriend behind as he fights in the war only to be killed in his last mission before being honorarily discharged.

And yet again another good one could be: A contest for the next contest's theme. That's what i think the first one should be.
speeDemon
truespeed wrote:
Another idea would be a....

6: photography contest,everyone has a digital camera these days,if not a stand alone one,they usually have one on their phones,so a photography contest would be good,i guess again it would have to be themed,to keep it fair and to make each entry more comparable.

a photography competition would be a great idea!
truespeed
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Another one that i think would be good is a short film contest revolving around a certain theme:

for example a couple of years ago LostOverThere and i were in the same media class (we go to same school, best of mates) and we had to make a short film around the theme of "Film Noir" now i cant remember the full description of the theme but basically it had to be like Paul Newman's film "The Hustler" with using the shadows to emphasize mood; so we made a film called "The Last Eagle" it was a 12 minute long film along the lines of Pearl Harbor, a Pilot goes off to war leaving his Girlfriend behind as he fights in the war only to be killed in his last mission before being honorarily discharged.

And yet again another good one could be: A contest for the next contest's theme. That's what i think the first one should be.

A short film is a good idea,maybe 12 minutes is a little long,but perhaps 3-5 minutes would be good.

An animated short film would also work.

On the subject of animated,why not an animated gif contest,one that everyone should be able to do.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:

Already somewhat done... This is in the first post template, but won't show up in the actual post.
ocalhoun wrote:

{ (acceptable contest type examples: edit-the-image, write-a-haiku, photography, write-a-very-short-story, funniest-short-joke, invent-a-_____, write-a-gravestone, best-quote-found-on-Frihost, best-new-use-for-a-______, best-quote, et cetera... feel free to think of a new one) }

speeDemon wrote:

edit:
And yaa, how do we decide the deadline time... I mean, I live in India, and the time is about GMT+5.5 Hours..

and other people living in other places will have different times.. so the end time(deadline) will be different.. so choosing the procrastinator.. will be even more difficult... or maybe we can choose the GMT to be the standard time... or maybe we can choose the GMT + 4 hours(Frihost's time) to be the general time..

I was just going to make each round's deadline be exactly 30 days, 0 hours, and 0 minutes from the date and time of the first post (which started the round). That will probably be inconvenient for some people, but that will be true no matter what time it is set for, and at least this way it is easy to figure out exactly when it is. Deliberately trying for the procrastinator prize would be risky anyway: what if there was a server error and Frihost was down for the last 5 minutes of the contest (or a power failure at your house, or your internet connection cuts out)? If you had waited until then, you'd miss the deadline.
truespeed wrote:

ocalhoun wrote:

I thought it was a good idea too... ^.^
speeDemon wrote:
soo, when do we start?

I think April 2nd would be about right.

Some updates:
-The first two rounds should be run by some of the admins who don't have much frih$. The first admin won't need any, and the second will only need 100. That's because there are no previous winners to give prizes to.

-Tentative start date: April 2nd

-People who volunteer to be contest admins later than this post will be added to the end of the schedule, so that we can start getting the ones who already volunteered ready.

-Made a simple php script to keep track of the winners, and a page to give templates and checklists for the admins.

-Made contest admin schedule

-Made images to go with each of the different prizes; these will be included in the PM's that go out to tell people that they won:
Made the winner first:

Stamped metal text! ^.^

Fun font + layer blending options = coolness:

Really like the way the text turned out on this one:

Nothing special, but it works:

Had to do some photo editing on this one; made it simpler by taking out ads and microphones:

Contest Admin Schedule (Proposed)
-April: Parkour_Jarrod
-May: speeDemon
-June: ocalhoun
-July: deanhills
-August: Arseniy
-September: truespeed
-October: redslazers
-November: To be announced
(First two contests go to those who can afford to run those, but not others. (contest admins can ask Frihost staff for frih$ on an individual basis if they need it.) After that, arranged by most frih$ first.)
speeDemon
ocalhoun wrote:

hey sorry, but actaully I have my summer vaccations in May, and I am going to Jammu and Kashmir.. so, I guess maybe you'll have to re-schedule the thing.. maybe just make it for june.. and you can take the may slot.. if that suits you..

edit:
1 more thing.. shouldn't you make some password for the "add winner" thing? I mean like a common password.. all the admins know about... and they can enter it when adding a winner...

otherwise people may add, just about anyone!! even though we'll know that it is a false entry, it will create some problems... and the script can be really simple... i'll post one here... (see, even I know a script for this, soo its veryyy easy!)

you probably already know this, but still, I was excited to tell this!
well here goes...

you need 2 pages.. on i.e. the add.php page.. and 1 is a login.php page.. login.php comes up when you press the link on the winners page..

login.php:
<?php

//Just making sure that no session data is already being used...;
session_unset();

?>

<html>
<head>
<title>Admin Login</title>
</head>

<body>

Please enter the admin password, before adding any winners..

<form method="post" action="add.php"><?php //in this case, add.php will be the page where the script for adding is given...?>

<p>Password:
<input type="password" name="pass" value="*****">
</p>

<p>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Go!">
</p>

</form>

<?php

//Thats all, if anything will be added, then the upper lines;
//can be utilised...;

?>
</body>
</html>

add.php:
<?php

//I have started a session here and given variables values... ;;

session_start();
$_SESSION['upass'] = $_POST['pass'];
$uauth = "0";

if (($_SESSION['upass'] == "admin_password")){ //admin_password will be edited..
$uauth = "1";
} else {
echo "<b>You are not an authorized personnel</b><br>";
echo "Leave at once!<br>";
echo "<a href='http://www.onet.frih.net/FG/winners.php'>Click here</a> to go to the winners page";
exit();
}

?>

<html>
<head>
<title>Adding page</title>
</head>

<body>
<?php

echo "the other stuff, which you already made.. will just be pasted here..."

//after all that, you just have to paste the php script you made for the whole adding thing..

?>
</body>
</html>

here are the pages in action.. the password is admin_password..

http://adizone.frihost.net/login.php
deanhills
A special thanks to Ocalhoun for all the hard work, and particularly the brilliant template. I read through it and it is almost effortless as everything is given, including the script, this is so much appreciated. All we need to do is print it out, and follow it step by step.

Only question I have is one about timing. Does it have to be 15 days before, or can it be a little earlier? I would like it about 21 days? Depending on the contest of course. But some may need more work than others?

I'm very happy with the schedule, thanks Ocalhoun, and at this time you can put me in any month if it does not suit other Frihosters as I am quite flexible.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Only question I have is one about timing. Does it have to be 15 days before, or can it be a little earlier? I would like it about 21 days? Depending on the contest of course. But some may need more work than others?

Well, you can decide which kind of contest to run as soon as you want, but the reason for waiting until the 15 day mark to ask the previous winner what the theme should be is that before then, the winner won't be decided yet. Even if the poll looks like on person is surely going to win, it would be good to wait until the voting closes, or you might be asking the wrong person if there is a sudden come-back by one of the other contestants.
speeDemon wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

hey sorry, but actaully I have my summer vaccations in May, and I am going to Jammu and Kashmir.. so, I guess maybe you'll have to re-schedule the thing.. maybe just make it for june.. and you can take the may slot.. if that suits you..

If you can get the full 1000 frih$ needed (from the Frihost staff, perhaps?), you could do June, but otherwise I'd have to move you all the way to November or July. One Mod has already offered 500, so it shouldn't be hard to get enough.
speeDemon wrote:

edit:
1 more thing.. shouldn't you make some password for the "add winner" thing? I mean like a common password.. all the admins know about... and they can enter it when adding a winner...

Already did, just much simpler.
If you try to do it now, you'll notice that you'll be asked for a password when you submit the changes (all on the same form). I meant to give that password along with the PM I sent, but I must have forgotten to.
deanhills
Thanks for all the effort Ocalhoun. Let's see how we go with the first ones, looks as though Parkour_Jarrod is first on the list. Has a decision been made what the first contest is going to be?

I read through the "template" again and was wondering what the rationale would be for the next contest admin to be responsible for the prizes of the previous contest. Would it not be better for the contest admin of the same contest to be responsible for everything to do with his/her contest from beginning to end? I imagine a kind'a ownership here, also practical situation as the interaction between winners and the contest admin would be consistent?
speeDemon
ok, I'll try to arrange the Frih, and I'll tell you my status by 15th april-15th may... I think I can get it arranged..
truespeed
truespeed wrote:
I think there's also an argument for,instead of posting entries into the contest thread,all entries should be sent to the contest admin,then posted all together when the contest ends to be voted upon.

This would stop people being put off entering if they see an entry of high quality,and think what's the point.

Also they may have an idea,but see something similar has already been done and again not submit an entry.

So my idea is that they all get sent to the contest admin,so nobody knows who has done what till the contest is over.

Has this been decided on yet or are you leaving this to the individual admins discretion? Also i think when voting,the entries should be labelled ABCD etc ,rather than by username,that way, nobody is influenced by who submitted what,and votes purely based on the entry itself.
speeDemon
truespeed wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Has this been decided on yet or are you leaving this to the individual admins discretion? Also i think when voting,the entries should be labelled ABCD etc ,rather than by username,that way, nobody is influenced by who submitted what,and votes purely based on the entry itself.

I think the ABCD method is good, username may influence friends and all, any way, because of the generousity of 'nameless' I got 1000 frih$.. so I guess I'm ready for june..
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
1: photoshop (Ocalhoun's old contest revamped)
2: comic strip
3: php (seems a popular idea,though i am not sure how this would work)
5: t-shirt design (Maybe theme it or leave it open,though probably themed would be better,you could even start with a frihost t-shirt design.

These are excellent ideas!

Further subejcts could be:
1. 1-page essay on a political/world news/economic subject - perhaps one that is already popular on Frihost
2. 1-page essay on a religious subject - perhaps one that is already popular on Frihost
3. 1-page essay on people's experiences in posting with Frihost, along the lines of "My life with Frihost" (probably needs some fine-tuning)
4. Design of a Frihost Banner - specifications to be given of size, etc.
speeDemon
So what's the status? is Parkour_Jarrod ready? what's the topic..?

I'll take part for sure! maybe the topic should remain secret, otherwise people can check the topic here 4 days before the actauly competiton...
Parkour_Jarrod
speeDemon wrote:
So what's the status? is Parkour_Jarrod ready? what's the topic..?

I'll take part for sure! maybe the topic should remain secret, otherwise people can check the topic here 4 days before the actauly competiton...

Its ready loaded and secret to be released on the 2nd of April (4 days before my bday Razz)
mwsupra
I like the idea. I don't think I would have the time to be an admin though, and would only participate in the contests I'm good at Smile
redslazers
Hey, will there be a minimum number of posts before someone can post an entrie or we may have people creating accounts just for the reason of submitting extra entries and then they can donate the $fri to there real account

Just wondering?
Very Happy
speeDemon
redslazers wrote:
Hey, will there be a minimum number of posts before someone can post an entrie or we may have people creating accounts just for the reason of submitting extra entries and then they can donate the $fri to there real account

Just wondering?
Very Happy

I don't really think that someone would take the time to make 'extra entries' with new accounts..
and any way, its not about the frih$. because if a person wants the grand prize, then well, he'll have to win all the 5 with the same account... so even if he/she does make fake accounts, then to win the main prize, they'll have to use the fake account... why wouldn't they rather use their original account?

I guess every person would submit the best they can.. I don't really think that a person would make multiple posts... And if he/she thinks that the entry is not so good, then it can always be edited..

Putting a 'limitation' to the competition may be a bit 'undemocratic' Very Happy Very Happy

Edit:
and in case something similar is happening.. then maybe the admin can be more attentive.. though it would be quite difficult to recognize a fake, and real entry, but still if something similar is encountered, then the person can be disqualified..

I'm also sure that it must be against frihost's policies.. so the person may even get banned, just to get 550 frih$ !! I don't think anyone would buy that..
redslazers
well you never know, ill just be real vigilant when im admining one of the contests of people with less than 10 posts.
speeDemon
redslazers wrote:
well you never know, ill just be real vigilant when im admining one of the contests of people with less than 10 posts.

yaa, I guess thats a good idea,Very Happy
redslazers
speeDemon did you get the admins to sponser the contests or not?

and i agree with an earlier post that all entries should be submitted to the admin for the contest and then voted apon without the name of the person who submitted it!
speeDemon
redslazers wrote:
speeDemon did you get the admins to sponser the contests or not?

and i agree with an earlier post that all entries should be submitted to the admin for the contest and then voted apon without the name of the person who submitted it!

where do you think I got 1295 frih$ from?!! Very Happy

Well,
ocalhoun wrote:
If you can get the full 1000 frih$ needed (from the Frihost staff, perhaps?), you could do June, but otherwise I'd have to move you all the way to November or July

It wasn't my duty to get sponsors... ocalhoun said that all I needed to do was to get 1000 frih$ myself Razz otherwise I couldn't get the june slot... and as you can see, due to the generousity of 'nameless' (really, that was his name!) I got a 1000 frih$...

actually he gave me all the money he had!! but I returned the rest, xept for the 1000 frih$...
though I'm still searching for a sponsor for a small competition that I may run... Very Happy

and ya, about the whole 'sending the posts by pm' thing.. well, I guess we'll have to contact our parent organisation Razz I meant ocalhoun Very Happy

where is ocalhoun?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

I read through the "template" again and was wondering what the rationale would be for the next contest admin to be responsible for the prizes of the previous contest. Would it not be better for the contest admin of the same contest to be responsible for everything to do with his/her contest from beginning to end? I imagine a kind'a ownership here, also practical situation as the interaction between winners and the contest admin would be consistent?

True there is benefit to doing it that way, but this way your admin duties are all done within 15 days. If you had to give the prizes for the one you started, you'd have things to do for 75 days.

speeDemon wrote:
truespeed wrote:
truespeed wrote:

I think the ABCD method is good, username may influence friends and all,

It might be better, but I would hope that the people voting could summon up at least a little bit of impartiality... Though perhaps I'm giving them too much credit...
There are a few issues with doing it that way though, it makes the contest admin's job more complicated (making mistakes more likely), and when announcing the speed demon and procrastinator prizes, you'd have to award them to 'contestant A' and 'contestant G' instead of the names of the people who won them.
Perhaps we could just change the template a little to make the entry listing for the poll look like this:
Quote:

A:
(contestant A's entry)
From (name)

B:

And then make the poll at the top have only A, B, C ...
Luckily we won't have to worry about this for the first one, because the first one won't have a poll.
deanhills wrote:

Further subejcts could be:
1. 1-page essay on

Remember though, people have to vote on it, and asking people to read 1 page per contestant before voting is asking a lot. Supposing that 10 people entered, you'd have to read 10 pages of essays (some of them bad, some boring, some good) before you could honestly vote.

speeDemon wrote:

Edit:
and in case something similar is happening.. then maybe the admin can be more attentive.. though it would be quite difficult to recognize a fake, and real entry, but still if something similar is encountered, then the person can be disqualified..

I'm also sure that it must be against frihost's policies.. so the person may even get banned, just to get 550 frih$ !! I don't think anyone would buy that..

I don't think many people will do this either, but if it does become a problem, we can always add in a new rule to prevent it.
speeDemon wrote:

and ya, about the whole 'sending the posts by pm' thing.. well, I guess we'll have to contact our parent organisation Razz I meant ocalhoun Very Happy

where is ocalhoun?

Traveling ^.^

I'm not sure about submitting by PM or post either, really.
I guess each contest admin can decide how to do it for their own round, and we'll see how it goes.

I do kind of lean towards posting the entries because
1: It is simpler for the admin (admins don't have to keep track of which letter goes with which contestant.)
2: Some people will post instead of PM'ing their entries no matter how well you write the instructions (though, to a lesser degree, that does go both ways: sometimes people will PM their entry rather than post it.)
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:

speeDemon wrote:
truespeed wrote:
truespeed wrote:

I think the ABCD method is good, username may influence friends and all,

It might be better, but I would hope that the people voting could summon up at least a little bit of impartiality... Though perhaps I'm giving them too much credit...
There are a few issues with doing it that way though, it makes the contest admin's job more complicated (making mistakes more likely), and when announcing the speed demon and procrastinator prizes, you'd have to award them to 'contestant A' and 'contestant G' instead of the names of the people who won them.
Perhaps we could just change the template a little to make the entry listing for the poll look like this:
Quote:

A:
(contestant A's entry)
From (name)

B:

Its not just about people who vote remaining impartial,its about the amount of entries you will get through pm,as opposed to the amount you would get when they are posted.

If a high quality entry is posted,how many people would be put off entering because they think they can't better it?

Someone may come up with an idea,and see somebody else has already done something similar,and again be put off entering.

As for confusion for the admin,i don't think there should be any,we ran the story contest that way without any problems.

But if theres disagreement on which way to go,like you say,maybe leaving up to the individual admins discretion is the best option.
Noremac
I would really like to be a contest admin, in all cases, I will also participate in as many as I can, but due to posting new material on my website(coming soon) I may not have a lot of creativity to spare.

So I would like to help out in any way possible, running a competition at some point would be great, I have an idea or two.

Cheers.
ocalhoun
Well, it doesn't seem to be going very well so far... Without being put on the featured topics list, there may not be many more rounds.
redslazers
i would participate in the current one but i cant really think of a good picture to take for a sporting things becuase im on holiday and i dont do sport in holidays for some reason. So ya that sucks, but why arnt we in the features posts section?
Parkour_Jarrod
redslazers wrote:
i would participate in the current one but i cant really think of a good picture to take for a sporting things becuase im on holiday and i dont do sport in holidays for some reason. So ya that sucks, but why arnt we in the features posts section?

Dunno i contacted admin and there's 2 posts on teh suggest featured topic, but nothing...
ocalhoun
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
redslazers wrote:

Dunno i contacted admin and there's 2 posts on teh suggest featured topic, but nothing...

Yeah, without that, it's doomed to failure. Nobody notices just a thread in the contests section, even if it is stickied... (I even suspect that less people look at it because it's stickied.)
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:
.. (I even suspect that less people look at it because it's stickied.)

That is true,i am less likely to click on a sticky thread than i am a normal one,as i assume that the sticky is an old thread.

Its a shame the mods/admins haven't taken this up and made sure this contest was advertised as much as is possible. Maybe they just don't read/moderate threads anymore,maybe they only read/react to the reported posts.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

That is true,i am less likely to click on a sticky thread than i am a normal one,as i assume that the sticky is an old thread.

Its a shame the mods/admins haven't taken this up and made sure this contest was advertised as much as is possible. Maybe they just don't read/moderate threads anymore,maybe they only read/react to the reported posts.
Totally my take on it too Truespeed. I doubt the moderators are really interested and it feels as though one has to approach them in the capacity of "asking for favours". I wrote a PM to Bondings some time ago (almost three weeks ago now) and he has not opened my PM. It is still sitting in my Outbox. The closest to any spontaneous "positive" response I've seen was from rvec when we were discussing the prizes. We also have the support of Mathiaus who has indicated interest to participate. I have not seen any of the other moderators, maybe they are too busy. To be truthful, I don't see why I should go to the effort and trouble of a contest if there is less than enthusiastic support from all of the moderators and especially Bondings. I care about the people who are trying to get the contests going, but must say my enthusiasm has shrunk by a large percentage. Maybe it is better just to keep on posting.

Also agreed. I rarely read stickies. Think the only one I've read was the one by Chris in the science forum and a couple in the Philosophy and Religion Forum. Stickies are almost like something you glance past when you click on the postings.
hamza1122
sounds like a good idea. looking forward to it.
Parkour_Jarrod
hamza1122 wrote:
sounds like a good idea. looking forward to it.

Its already started click my top sig
redslazers
truespeed wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

maybe we should all keep reporting the thread and they may take some notice?
truespeed
Maybe one of the options in the report function should be to alert an admin/mod to a post.

Though it shouldn't be necessary as this contest has been discussed extensively for a while,i can't believe no mod or admin as seen it.
Parkour_Jarrod
I think that perhaps we should extend the current comp for another month, kos we have 2 entrants so yeah..
truespeed
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
I think that perhaps we should extend the current comp for another month, kos we have 2 entrants so yeah..

I am not sure if that's a good idea,maybe we should just bite the bullet on this first round,and move onto the next one,even if there are only 2 entries,and we should still do the vote.

Some months will get more entries than others,you shouldn't just extend because one month doesn't get as many as expected.
Parkour_Jarrod
truespeed wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

I am not sure if that's a good idea,maybe we should just bite the bullet on this first round,and move onto the next one,even if there are only 2 entries,and we should still do the vote.

Some months will get more entries than others,you shouldn't just extend because one month doesn't get as many as expected.

Lol well ones gonna get first one gonna get second speeDemon gonna get speeddemons Ocalhoun gonna get procrastinator and ones gonna get last prize Razz
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Agreed. There is so much effort going into this, may just as well make it worthwhile rather than having the contest just for a contest sake. Good idea!
redslazers
If bondings and the admins dont care that the user are doing something, we hsould boycot since frihost is a succses becuase of its community and if they try to get more people to particpate but are ignored then that is unfair.

CALL TO REVOLT
deanhills
redslazers wrote:
If bondings and the admins dont care that the user are doing something, we hsould boycot since frihost is a succses becuase of its community and if they try to get more people to particpate but are ignored then that is unfair.

CALL TO REVOLT
I admire your energy and enthusiasm Redslazers but possibly there is no need for a revolt, maybe we need to look at things realistically. First of all Bondings and the moderators have been around much longer than we have, so possibly have seen things that we have not seen before. They have been around this block a number of times. Also, they have to be very busy people. I'd rather that Bondings spends his valuable time in looking after the smooth operation of the technical side of things than worrying about contests, but equally of course possibly we need to downsize what we are doing to equal things out. This is the lesson for me in this: perhaps our role is to do as many postings as we can with the least amount of maintenance for Bondings and the moderators. I'm looking at Parker-Jarrod's competition right now and wondering whether it is worth our while. Especially since he has only received two entries. Ocalhoun's template is awesome, and I really like the idea of contests, but perhaps they should be more on an intermittent spontaneous basis rather than a regular event, the person who comes up with the idea for the contest being spontaneously the Administrator for it too. I get the feeling moderators would be able to deal better with less than regular contests and it would also be easier to contact them for assistance for Frih$ prizes when the contests are less frequent and more individualized.

That's why I think we should give Parker_Jarrod's contest a longer time to run. And then maybe skip a month or two and then someone can come up with a good idea for the next contest and we take it from there? We could use Ocalhoun's template for running the contests. Probably one of the best I've seen.
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
truespeed wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

Lol well ones gonna get first one gonna get second speeDemon gonna get speeddemons Ocalhoun gonna get procrastinator and ones gonna get last prize Razz

Parkour-Jarrod, do you have a script for the contest logo? I would like to put it into my signature. Perhaps that can be helpful for getting more entries?
truespeed
Use this dean.

Code:
[url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-105074.html][img]http://www.onet.frih.net/FG/img/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Use this dean.

Code:
[url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-105074.html][img]http://www.onet.frih.net/FG/img/logo.jpg[/img][/url]

Thanks Truespeed. It's up and running now. Cool
truespeed
Photography: Take A Photo Of A Sport Related Item

^^^
You may get more people clicking the banner if you tell them what this round is about,the code is below.

Code:

[b]Photography: [/b][url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-105074.html]Take A Photo Of A Sport Related Item[/url]
Parkour_Jarrod
truespeed wrote:
Photography: Take A Photo Of A Sport Related Item

^^^
You may get more people clicking the banner if you tell them what this round is about,the code is below.

Code:

[b]Photography: [/b][url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-105074.html]Take A Photo Of A Sport Related Item[/url]

Brilliant idea, thanks man!
biljap
I like idea of contests. If I have time I would definitely take a part in some programming contest, writing some useful script, creating css or something similar... Smile It would also be a great way to learn new thing if there would be some possibility to work in some small groups or, from time to time, to show small partition of code that would give us an idea how to develop our project even more.

Contests should be advertised a little better... Or there might be a mailing list that interested people could join, so that you could maybe send some information of contest’s type... That sound like a good idea to me! Wink
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Contest Admin Schedule (Proposed)
-April: Parkour_Jarrod
-June: ocalhoun
-July: deanhills
-August: Arseniy
-September: truespeed
-October: redslazers
-November: To be announced
(First two contests go to those who can afford to run those, but not others. (contest admins can ask Frihost staff for frih$ on an individual basis if they need it.) After that, arranged by most frih$ first.)
I regretfully will be unable to be an administrator for 2009 or later. I have some personal commitments I have to take care off and this may mean that I will not be posting from time to time and may be travelling for long periods of time. I will be grateful if my name could be taken off the list. Sincere apologies for this.
Vrythramax
Great idea guys!! Applause

Let me know if I can help.
Parkour_Jarrod
Vrythramax wrote:
Great idea guys!! Applause

Let me know if I can help.

Woudl be awesome if you could make the current one (in my sig) a featured discussion so we have more than the 2 entries
Vrythramax
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Woudl be awesome if you could make the current one (in my sig) a featured discussion so we have more than the 2 entries

You wouldn't need to make it a featured discussion as it has been stickied already, just edit the title to reflect that it's Round 2, Round 3, etc. If you can't edit that let me know and I can do it for you.
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

You wouldn't need to make it a featured discussion as it has been stickied already, just edit the title to reflect that it's Round 2, Round 3, etc. If you can't edit that let me know and I can do it for you.

Actually, it does need to be a featured discussion if it is to succeed. The deadline has been extended more than double already, but only two people participated.
truespeed
Plus nobody reads stickies,as has already been said,the fact that it is a sticky,is probably hindering rather than helping.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

Actually, it does need to be a featured discussion if it is to succeed. The deadline has been extended more than double already, but only two people participated.
Do you think it would help to expand the photography competition to include other kinds of photos that are easier to take?
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:

I'm afraid I can't make a Featured Discussion, as it is just out of my access range, as Rvec pointed out Here.

The Ranks are Here, as far as I know only Bondings, tidruG, Bockman, or mOrpheuS have that level of access...unless something has changed or someone has been promoted while I was away.

Sorry.
skygaia
I wouldnt participate in those contests. Because I'm not ready. Sad