FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

An English Soldier visits Holland in 1980

chasbeen
Hi to all,

I would like to relate my enjoyable experiences of visiting my favourite country outside my native England.

I first visited Holland on exercise with the army in 1980 and was very enamoured with the people who greeted us with great enthusiasm. It was interesting to experience the friendship which was no doubt related to the close relationship develooped during the trials and tribulations of WW2.

My next visit to Holland was for 6 months as a Software Engineer in 1996. I lived there for 6 months in a place called Amstelveen not far from Amsterdam. Despite the population density your countryside with its grass covered waterways and the herons made a beutiful commute to work every day to the AmstelDyke (Not sure of the spelling on that)

Quite funny because England played Holland in the European Football championships that year and despite a fairly heavy defeat by the English, the Dutch still supported us in the next round!

Anyways thats a tiny snap shot but I thought it was worth recalling. I hope to go back for a visit one day but that might not be next week because I live in Canada now!

dank u
rvec
moved this to travel and countries, but left a shadow topic in the dutch forum (never seen it on frihost before but there's a first time for everything).

Nive to hear you enjoyed holland.

btw; "AmstelDyke" is spellled Amsteldijk
chasbeen
Oh yeah "Amsteldijk" Thanks