FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Big Should an XP partition Be

Possum
Hi

How big should the partition on my drive that has XP be.

Thank you..
Diablosblizz
I currently only have 9 GB of space for my XP partition, I don't use it though. It depends on what you wan to do with it, if you want to use it completely, but still have another OS somewhere, then I'd split the hard drive in half. I know I've ran XP smoothly on a 20 GB hard drive and it did fine.
kirba
if you want to turn System Restore on you should put more GB's on that partition. When i made my partition i set capacity to 35 GB's and it is working fine. But if you turn off System restore you can put around 20 GB's so everything would run smoothly.

Hope i helped
David_Pardy
You need to give yourself at least 5GB for the XP install and swap file - essentially 'future proofing' yourself against bloat.

Then you need to decide how much space you want for what you're planning to use XP for. I would personally not have less than 20gb on the drive.
Pepperfan
Possum,

Don't try and skimp too much. Remember there are some things that are going to be installed to your system drive no mater what. There is also a good chance that you will accidentally install something there. I like the 35 gigabytes that kirba suggested for a partition size.

Charles
thedinh
My C partition has 20 GB. I thinks it's enough for all my program to run on my computer.
Nolt
Mine C partition have 30GB size. I use lot of programs and I need lot of space so... in the future it will help me to migrate to Win7 (if it will be good enough) without resizing the partition.
Jaan
I'm sure you can make do with less than 5GB, maybe 2-3 at extremes, but always remember ot have 20% free space on any partition
mOrpheuS

To each his own Wink

You would know best about how you use your computer.
Depending on how much data(clutter) you like(allow) on your System drive - you should decide upon the partition size.
sajeebr
It depends upon your need. Are you storing your documents on the disc where your Xp installation is? It is better to give some room for the operating system to work in a flexible environment.

It is better to follow the XP guideline. I have about 30GB in my C-drive and it is working good for me.
coreymanshack
Minimum installation size I think is 8GB for XP
Diablosblizz
Whoa mOrpheuS, that's a small install, although it must be a small installer. XP usually uses 1.2 GB for me, always.
Agent ME
When I set up an XP virtual machine, I set aside 10 gb for its disk image. It's currently using about 3.5 gb.
snowynight
5 is enough
10 is better.
20 if you seldom reinstall your os.
coreymanshack
snowynight wrote:
5 is enough
10 is better.

why would you need more if you reinstall your OS? do a clean install...
Fire Boar
coreymanshack wrote:
snowynight wrote:
5 is enough
10 is better.

Seldom = rarely/never.
coreymanshack
Fire Boar wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
snowynight wrote:
5 is enough
10 is better.

Seldom = rarely/never.

That didn't answer my question at all.
Fire Boar
coreymanshack wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
snowynight wrote:
5 is enough
10 is better.

Seldom = rarely/never.

It should have. 20 gig needed if you rarely, if ever, reinstall your OS. Your question "why would you need more if you reinstall your OS?" is irrelevant - that's exactly the point that snowynight was making: that you need more if you don't reinstall Windows regularly, because it clutters up.
HamsterMan
Not to mention that you would have to move all your data you want to save to another partition every time you feel like formatting the partition and reinstalling windows. Might just as well just include just the essentials if you reinstall often.
weableandbob
I currently have about 180/300 gigs for XP, as I use lots of it for games and videos, although it would probably be a good idea to get the other drive working for video storage =/ that stuff takes up a crap load of space.
D5DXAX
I have 10 gig for windows XP , after I changed MyDocuments to another drive and install software in another drive
also direct temp files to another drive and I am running slow with 2 gb ram

I wish I can change it next time to 30 or 40 gig
sourojit
If you are not installing additional softwares like microsoft office,3d max,maya,photo shop,or other applications ,then 10gb sounds good.Else go for 15gb ,every thing depend on your needs.
coreymanshack
Fire Boar wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
snowynight wrote:
5 is enough
10 is better.

Seldom = rarely/never.

It should have. 20 gig needed if you rarely, if ever, reinstall your OS. Your question "why would you need more if you reinstall your OS?" is irrelevant - that's exactly the point that snowynight was making: that you need more if you don't reinstall Windows regularly, because it clutters up.

Oh I misread, my bad Sad
soljarag
yeah.. I'd say 5 GB min... and if you do that, I would change your mydoc. and program files directory...

But since HD space is so cheap.. go for like 25 GB