FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Going ffrom Vista to XP

Possum
Hi

I am about to buy a new computer. I want to uninstall Vista and install XP

Do you think I will have driver issues

Thank you
Diablosblizz
You will probably have driver issues, although a Microsoft update or a search on your computers manufacter's site will probably list XP drivers, if not Google is your friend.

I have both XP and Vista dual-booted on my PC, and I was able to find XP one's on Toshiba's European website.
abdulqadirabid
almost all type of drivers are available on the specific board site ,so you should afriad ,and also vista doesnt recognize much drivers as compared to xp ..
Xp is better with much applications than vista so installing Xp worth more Smile
ciureanuc
"Hi I am about to buy a new computer. I want to uninstall Vista and install XP
Do you think I will have driver issues
Thank you"

Man, what kind of topic is that?
You didn't say ANYTHING about your system!
Give us all the information and maybe we can help then.
You didn't say if it's a laptop or a desktop, the brand, how old is it... come on!!

I switched my Toshiba A200 laptop from vista to XP and is was very easy. Some companies have on their websited specific instructions about how to do that and, THE DRIVERS for the stuff they have in their systems.
Well, bring us more information about your system. Wink
Possum
thx ciureanuc

Yes I needed to give more info. But I was not looking at any system but making a general inquiry.

Any how I managed to buy a

DELL Optiplex 755 Core 2 Duo 2x3.0GHz, 2GB, XP Pro, Intel E8400 processor

It came with both Vista and XP I chose what was installed

XP was installed but it is totally Vista ready. So all is well...
ProfessorY91
I definitely recommend going to XP. Vista is a memory hog, with only 2 GB of RAM you'll put a strain on the system, the first memory intensive process you run. Although its a perfectly new system, I also recommend that you do a full (deep) format of the disks when you run the XP installation.

Drivers will not be an issue on this PC. From a general search online, I can tell that you won't have very many issues. Your graphics card is integrated ... GMA3100... Intel. You'll be fine, drivers for that will either self install or can be found easily. I think your sound is onboard, and you're running a pretty basic system.

Good luck with that mate.

I do hope you got it cheap though. No offense, its a pretty crappy system.

Y.
Possum
ProfessorY91.. I love your honesty.

My system goes.. and that is something. You should have smelt the insulation of the old one as it died. lol

I will get an I7 one day..

cheers Possum..
Diablosblizz
I suppose the most important driver would be internet, so get that first. After that Google will help like I said above. A deep format (not a quick one) will probably work really well, not so much to get rid of Vista but to get rid of all the bloatware that comes with it.

I had to format my laptop yesterday (DCHP service failed to start) and Vista took 1 second (seriously no lie!) to format my 250 GB drive. I was quite surprised.
ciureanuc
"I suppose the most important driver would be internet, so get that first. After that Google will help like I said above. A deep format (not a quick one) will probably work really well, not so much to get rid of Vista but to get rid of all the bloatware that comes with it."

I am not sure about that and I will tell you why. And this will explain also why I asked for the system's details:
Around two years ago I've bought an Intel P4/1500MHz 512Mb SDRAM to a friend.
In that time, XP was the choice so I installed XP. I told him that his system is old (I had P4/2400Mhz HT) and he will not be able to put new software if he want a decent speed.

Guess what: last week I visited him and he have a "do Vista look-alike" software.
All the stuff who come with Vista.
Man! The computer was a snail! I told him: why did you installed this? I told you that the speed will be worse... did you like this appearance and the stuff but you accept to wait more MINUTES to start a Photoshop (for example)?

I uninstalled that software and the computer is "decent" now.

The guy thank me and he said that will call me to ask for every software he intend to install. Smile
That's why I asked what kind of system is in discussion now.

P.S.: I understand the words "new computer"... for this guy, a second hand one was "a new computer" (not too rich person). Smile
8166UY
Why would you uninstall Vista? It is indeed heavier, but with SP1 it became more stable than XP and it's a whole lot more fun to use.
Diablosblizz
ciureanuc, what were you trying to prove? Your story tells me nothing about my post. I'm saying that every computer usually comes with bloatware (software that apparently is used to help the user is some insane way). A quick format would work very well, although it's suggested to do a full format to get rid of everything completely.

Vista is pretty fun to use, and so is XP and Linux. What a lot of new Vista users don't understand is that Vista is actually utilizing all of your ram. With a feature called SuperFetch, Vista takes all available memory, and starts to cache programs, making them easier to open in the future. SuperFetch also prioritizes programs, for example if you're running Office Word then you go get a coffee or eat breakfast then Office will be set to a "lower" priority than the background programs. Once you come back Word is set to a higher priority and the others to a lower one.

For example, I have 3 GB of ram on Vista. According to Vista I've only used 909 MB. In reality, Vista is using all of my memory to make good use out of it to make programs open faster. Currently, I only have 37 MB of ram free. Now of course it doesn't say that with the nice little graph, but right below that it says "Physcial Memory." Beside free it will say a number and that's how much ram Vista isn't using.

Some people might not like this feature, but I do! Very Happy