FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moving laptop around on standby

leontius
I know that we're not supposed to carry/move laptop when it's on because the hard disk is spinning. However now I've gotten into this habit of moving laptop around (sometimes even during the whole bus trip) while the laptop is on standby. Will it cause bad effect to my laptop?

Even sometimes I put it on the bag while on standby...
Diablosblizz
Yes, it is perfectly fine to go move your laptop around when it is in standby. Nothing is being read / written on the drive until you wake it up. Although, this doesn't allow you to be whipping it around, it still can damage the drive if you become too harsh.

If you're really worried, and you leave your laptop on standby for more than a few hours try using hibernate, that actually turns off the computer fully, but allows your programs to continue to be loaded into the memory.
pumpin
Hmmmmn, i think hibernation is the best option-you can tell your computer to hibernate when you close the lid or when you press the power button. It the best option i use. Wink
gilwe
I know that we're not supposed to carry/move laptop when it's on because the hard disk is spinning. However now I've gotten into this habit of moving laptop around (sometimes even during the whole bus trip) while the laptop is on standby. Will it cause bad effect to my laptop?

Even sometimes I put it on the bag while on standby...

As long as the Hard Disk is not working, there should not be any problem transporting the laptop.
Diablosblizz
Gilwe, for future notice there is a quote tag to quote things instead of putting them in italics. It's just the quote button when posting a reply.
leontius
So there's no other part of the laptop that can be damaged when it is moved on standby?
ocalhoun
leontius wrote:
So there's no other part of the laptop that can be damaged when it is moved on standby?

No other part of it is more susceptible to damage when turned on than when turned off.

(If you dropped it in water, it would be more likely to survive if completely shut off though. I've never tried it with a laptop, but most electronics can actually survive being dunked if they are turned off and not plugged in. I've seen a cell phone go through the clothes washer, then the drier, and still work fine later because it was turned off at the time, though it still had a battery in it. I've also had an IBM computer that sat outside during a hurricane, but continued to work very reliably because it wasn't plugged in.)