FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nigerian’s scam nets 19-year sentence

ilie88
Quote:
A college student in Nigeria has been sentenced to 19 years in prison for scamming an Australian woman out of $47,000 online by pretending to be a widowed white businessman desperately in love with her.

A court in Ikeja in southwest Nigeria ruled that Lawal Adekunie Nurudeen will also have to pay back the 56-year-old woman, even if it meant selling the two plots of land and the Honda Prelude he bought with her money.

Nurudeen was an engineering student when he met the woman online in 2007, said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Nigeria’s anti-corruption police.

The woman lamented that she was looking for a husband but had been disappointed in the men she had met.

“The convict, who is married with three children, instantly applied and told the victim that she had met Mr. Right,” the commission said in a statement.

Nurudeen pretended to be a 57-year-old British engineer working with a multinational company in Nigeria. He told her his wife and only child had died in a road accident in Lagos, the former capital of the country.

“He sent the picture of a white man to the victim to foreclose any suspicions,” police said. The woman agreed to marry him.

A few weeks later, Nurudeen called the woman pretending to be a doctor. He told her that her fiance had been in an accident and needed money for treatment.

The woman obliged, the commission said.

Nurudeen let two weeks pass. He then called the woman again, thanking her profusely for her kindness and telling her that he would like to visit her in Australia. He asked her for airfare, cash for customs clearance and other incidentals, police said.

Authorities did not say how Nurudeen was caught. But he duped the woman of $47,000 before his arrest, the commission said.

Scammers in Nigeria have gained a reputation for using the Internet to con foreign nationals out of money. Some of the scams have earned the name “419″ after the clause in the Nigerian criminal code that deals with obtaining property under false pretense

Original Post : http://massmediaus.com/?p=615
deanhills
Perhaps the woman should have been charged as well for being a perfect idiot in the extreme. Especially when everyone is warned all the time not to be duped by people who misrepresent themselves on the Internet. One thing to start this on-line romance, but another to have sent money to him ahead of meeting him. Totally crazy! Still great that the authorities managed to find this guy and make him responsible for his crime. Hopefully it will set an example and have a deterring effect on others wishing to try something similar Evil or Very Mad
redslazers
When i receive emails from Nigeria i usually email back and forth a few times, its a fun way to waste time and they come up with the funniest excuses fro why something happened.
deanhills
redslazers wrote:
When i receive emails from Nigeria i usually email back and forth a few times, its a fun way to waste time and they come up with the funniest excuses fro why something happened.
I'd be concerned about those scoundrels attaching viruses to their e-mails so that they can lurk around in your computer when you open them. When I receive e-mails like that I immediately mark them as spam and delete them. Evil or Very Mad
redslazers
deanhills wrote:
redslazers wrote:
I'd be concerned about those scoundrels attaching viruses to their e-mails so that they can lurk around in your computer when you open them. When I receive e-mails like that I immediately mark them as spam and delete them. Evil or Very Mad

Never had a problem with anything before plus most of the attachments are jpg with faked bank documents and things, just email back once as long as you don't give them any personal details you should be fine.
Bikerman
redslazers wrote:
deanhills wrote:
redslazers wrote:
Never had a problem with anything before plus most of the attachments are jpg with faked bank documents and things, just email back once as long as you don't give them any personal details you should be fine.
It is never a good idea to email back to a scam/spam email. The reason is that it indicates the email address is currently in-use. Many scam/spam emails are sent on spec, and the sender does not know if the email adrress is actually in use. By replying (or going to a site to 'unsubscribe') what you actually do is confirm that your email address is 'live'.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
redslazers wrote:
deanhills wrote:
redslazers wrote:
It is never a good idea to email back to a scam/spam email. The reason is that it indicates the email address is currently in-use. Many scam/spam emails are sent on spec, and the sender does not know if the email adrress is actually in use. By replying (or going to a site to 'unsubscribe') what you actually do is confirm that your email address is 'live'.

Aw, I like e-mailing them back and forth, pretending to be duped, but never giving any real personal information. Its fun to see how long they'll keep it up before they realize that you know they're running a scam. Sometimes I try to see if I can get them to send me their personal information. ^.^ (Only ever succeeded once.)
carlospro7
wow, this story is outrageous. This woman must have been either an idiot or just desperate for someone.

redslazers wrote:

That sounds really funny. I think I've gotten mail like that once before, and I just deleted it. Next time I think I'll try this. Laughing
redslazers
carlospro7 wrote:
wow, this story is outrageous. This woman must have been either an idiot or just desperate for someone.

redslazers wrote:

That sounds really funny. I think I've gotten mail like that once before, and I just deleted it. Next time I think I'll try this. Laughing

there are some websites where you can put your email address in an then you are sure to get an email from them like logbook. I cant remember it right now but ill see if i can find it.

for some information on scam baiting go to http://www.419eater.com

edit: to get emails search "guestbook +guymen +mugu" on google and you should soon get the you share of millions Very Happy
ilie88
redslazers wrote:
deanhills wrote:
redslazers wrote:

Man the virus backdor can be in attachment jpg format , the most people they send this trojans with pictures , pay atention

best regards
redslazers
ilie88 wrote:
redslazers wrote:
deanhills wrote:
redslazers wrote:

Man the virus backdoor can be in attachment jpg format , the most people they send this trojans with pictures , pay attention

best regards

how do they attach a backdoor to a jpeg, its like attaching a virus to an mp3, i thought it was impossible
Kelvin
I've read of viruses in the form of JPEG. But I wouldn't think these conmen are so smart as to create or use such high tech viruses. They are just out there to dupe gullible people who want to get rich quick in most cases and also to con the love lorn people desperately seeking for a mate.

Have read and seen so many of them. Only replied a few scolding them and asking them to get a life. Mostly ignored them totally. You have the:

1.) Banker version seeking foreign ppl to act as a relative to a large unclaimed bank account of a deceased
2.) Lawyer seeking to do the above
3.) Wife of a deceased trying to get out of the country with a large sum of $$
4.) Someone asking for foreign aid to do something etc. etc.......

I had a colleague who probably was almost conned to believe a russian woman was in love with him. They exchanged many mails and she sent pictures of herself... calling him "Prince" etc etc... then you see the part.. I really want to be with you and come to your country but have no money to get the documents done and to pay for the airfare etc etc..... Good thing he woke up and stopped there.. Hahaha... poor "Russian girl" must have taught "What happened to my prince?" I would go online and have a video chat for "verification" purposes Wink
Bikerman
The way this (new) virus works is by first re-writing the windows registry. This is done by an exe file (usually called 'proof.exe') which changes the file association for jpg files so that they are read by a piece of embedded code. This code (usually called EXTRK.EXE) examines each jpg file for viral code and, if it finds it, it executes it, otherwise it simply displays the image.

The basic message is not to be alarmed - unless you first execute the 'exe' file then you have nothing to worry about.
ilie88
Bikerman wrote:
The way this (new) virus works is by first re-writing the windows registry. This is done by an exe file (usually called 'proof.exe') which changes the file association for jpg files so that they are read by a piece of embedded code. This code (usually called EXTRK.EXE) examines each jpg file for viral code and, if it finds it, it executes it, otherwise it simply displays the image.

The basic message is not to be alarmed - unless you first execute the 'exe' file then you have nothing to worry about.

Well , So many many people see is not aware about the virus can receive in jpg files, png, and so on, to explain I know many people on mIRC who send pictures in jpg format to make many Bots on Irc ,and the peoples when open the picture they instal an irc backdor in windows ,and that irc bot is hiding you can not even find it ,the antivirusu kan not find backdor bechous is in jpg format, and so many have backdor in computer and then ho nows kan enter the computer through remote host.

Best regards
deanhills
ilie88 wrote:
Well , So many many people see is not aware about the virus can receive in jpg files, png, and so on, to explain I know many people on mIRC who send pictures in jpg format to make many Bots on Irc ,and the peoples when open the picture they instal an irc backdor in windows ,and that irc bot is hiding you can not even find it ,the antivirusu kan not find backdor bechous is in jpg format, and so many have backdor in computer and then ho nows kan enter the computer through remote host.

Best regards
Sounds more like a parasite than a virus or should I say "parabot" Smile . Scary stuff. Thanks for explaining it to us. Smile
ilie88
deanhills wrote:
ilie88 wrote:

Best regards
Sounds more like a parasite than a virus or should I say "parabot" Smile . Scary stuff. Thanks for explaining it to us. Smile

I hope i helped somwan, sori for mi eanglesh but i dont now to write sow well eanglesh
deanhills
ilie88 wrote:
I hope i helped somwan, sori for mi eanglesh but i dont now to write sow well eanglesh
Your English is very interesting. I am curious, what is your home language? Smile
Bikerman
ilie88 wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

Best regards
I quite agree, and I was not intending to minimise the seriousness. My point is that one should never run an 'exe' file attached to an email or on a web site unless you are CERTAIN that it is 'clean'. If you stick to that then there is no real chance of the jpg 'loader' being active on your computer. You should also, of course, keep your virus protection up to date and run regular scans.
redslazers
Bikerman wrote:

see that what i mean, who would open a exe file a nigerian scammer and plus if you have vista it will ask you 2 million times if you want to execute it
deanhills
redslazers wrote:
see that what i mean, who would open a exe file a nigerian scammer and plus if you have vista it will ask you 2 million times if you want to execute it
Software and computer hardware change all the time redslazers. Today's "secure situation" can be toast the next day. All you need is for a hacker to work on a new "challenge". I would not chance it if I were you, and if I did, I would make sure that my whole computer is backed up.
TrueFact
Viruses, trojans and worms all can come in any form of file. In the case of JPG file it is very easy and one of the oldest ways to bind a virus or backdoor into a JPG file. Moreover, there are pre-made programs that can bind a certain trojan with JPG file just with two clicks.

So, don't open the email and mark it as scam is the safest way.

Another point is, I don't why all the scam emails, like this one or others about a dead guy with a huge fortune locked in a bank account with no one to claim, always come from South African countries?!

Every email I receive with subjects like 'I need your help urgently' or 'May you please help a desperate widow' is marked spam right away.

May be one of the most funny incidents happened to me was receiving an email from my Professor, which has his email address on my safe list, claiming that he is in 'Nigeria' and lost all his luggage and passport and he need at least enough money to get back to Cairo, Egypt. As a matter of fact, I was about to email him back to find how to send him the money and how much he needed. But as a second thought, I tried to call him as he always activate the international roaming feature before he leave Egypt. To my surprise he was in the university giving his lectures as usual about Architecture History and Architecture Theories. I asked him about the email and he replied that he doesn't know anything about it.

His email password was stolen and still didn't figure out how. He made a new account and emailed whoever he could remember his email address about hacking his email and not to trust any emails sent from his old email address.

Unfortunately, some people fell for it and many sent money ranging from 2000 USD up to 8000 USD. My professor is one of the finest and everyone loved to help. The man or woman who did it was never caught.

So,in such cases try to call people first if you know them Smile
deanhills
TrueFact wrote:
Another point is, I don't why all the scam emails, like this one or others about a dead guy with a huge fortune locked in a bank account with no one to claim, always come from South African countries?!

In my experience most of them have been from Nigeria. Nigeria is not in South Africa but in West Africa. South Africa is a country in its own right. Smile I have not seen much spam coming from South Africa. I would say the bulk of these types of spam e-mails in my experience have been from Nigeria, and that would make it a good question. Why are they mostly from Nigeria?
icecool
well some people are very lonely and will go to any length to find what they see as love or attention.

i do feel sorry for that woman but on the other hand she was a bit careless of parting with that kind of money after a few emails and a photograph - but then again we never hear the whole story.

it's not a very good testimony for australian men tho that somebody is that desperate because she is fed up with what is on offer locally.

i conggratulate the nigerian authorities of dealing with the issue very firmly - that guy has ruined many peoples lives, his own family's included, out of sheer greed.

i wished more authorities would persevere any kind of ffraudster more firmly and deal with them in a firm manner.
deanhills
icecool wrote:
it's not a very good testimony for australian men tho that somebody is that desperate because she is fed up with what is on offer locally.

Good point Laughing not such a good continent for women to be on, probably two choices here: for women to leave, or for women to deport their men. They can send them to New Zealand for punishment Laughing
Fake
poor nanna Very Happy
she must be getting all waxed and shaved..and if it happened a black monster wud have given it to her Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy