FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who is the best/ your favorite bassist?

Who is the best/your favorite bassist?
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
John Entwistle (The Who)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Cliff Burton (Metallica)
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Les Claypool (Primus)
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Frederic Leclercq (Dragonforce)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
John Moyer (Disturbed)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cliff Williams (AD/DC)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Parkour_Jarrod
who do you think is the best (or your favorite) bassist of all time and why?

My personal favorite/the person who i think is the best has to be[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Harris_(musician)]Steve Harris[/url] from Iron Maiden

He is what aspired me to be a bassist he gave it an edge that i had never heard before, it was like hearing music for the first time in my life again.
Xanatos
Im gonna have to go with Cliff Burton. He was an amazing bassist with amazing riffs, and like so many great musicians, was taken from us too early.

R.I.P Cliff.
jessicawalker
Les Claypool! I'm madly in love with him. He's great. Primus is on my top five.
Insanity
I think my favorite bassist has to be Victor Wooten, even though he's not on your list. He can make some badass sounds from his bass and I love how funky his stuff can sound.
Ashtray
That would definitely be Cliff Burton!
f00lishhhh
I've been playing electric bass quitar for five years now, and after I listened to Remain in Light, the album by Talking Heads, Tina Weymouth has been a huge influence.
Ankhanu
f00lishhhh wrote:
I've been playing electric bass quitar for five years now, and after I listened to Remain in Light, the album by Talking Heads, Tina Weymouth has been a huge influence.

Tina has a great sense of time/rhythm, she's definitely underrated in the bass community.
Solon_Poledourus
I have so many I love... to pick only one is so difficult.
I like Roger Waters of Pink Floyd alot. Very jazzy sound, not too flashy, but exactly what each song called for.
Of course, Cliff Burton is one of my favs, as I love Metallica.
But I think my all time favorite is Marcus Miller. He's just a truly great musician and songwriter. Brilliant, actually.
jessicawalker wrote:
Les Claypool! I'm madly in love with him. He's great. Primus is on my top five.

By the way, Primus Sucks. Razz
liljp617
They're all great Smile

I'm a big fan of Burton...I think he was on his way to innovating a lot and he really stood out in a genre where a lot of bass players just sit back. Steve Harris is nice too and I thank him for keeping Maiden together throughout all it's many member changes over the years. Flea is just Flea! Very Happy
Ankhanu
Among my favorite bassists are Mike O'Neill of The Inbreds and Rod Slaughter of Duotang... both defunct bands of the 90s. Both bassists/bands were bass and drum duos, and their later albums incorporated some other instrumentation... but the bass played both rhythm and lead roles, played with original techniques to cover everything. Innovative players in the indie scene that, by and large, ended up going unnoticed by the masses.
zygote-hotelomega
Adam Clayton of U2. He's not flashy but his playing so perfectly compliments Larry Mullen Jr's rhythmic drumming. Can you imagine that band without Adam's trademark moody bass?
Runner up would be Duran Duran's John Taylor. Go back and listen to the bass in those early records, stunning stuff.
Tuvitor
I voted Les Claypool from Primus, but I think Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers deserves a mention. And why no John Paul Jones on the list? Led Zeppelin?! C'mon!!
Parkour_Jarrod
Tuvitor wrote:
I voted Les Claypool from Primus, but I think Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers deserves a mention. And why no John Paul Jones on the list? Led Zeppelin?! C'mon!!

Didn't think...
ortie10
If I have to choose from the list I will say Cliff Burton. He had a nack for doing more than your traditional bassist. Personally I think Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath should be on the list, considering most of those guys were inspired by him to play bass. Shocked
spokenoise
Definately Les Claypool. Victor Wooten and Flea definately deserve a mention though