FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

umask, file type dependent?

cr3ativ3
Hey, I have suPhp installed on my server, and I want to prevent other users from reading the contents of php files belonging to other users.

1 option is to manually set the php file permissions to 640, however I would rather have the default permissions for php files to be set to 640.

Is this possible? Or totally beyond the scope of umask?
sheedatali
cr3ativ3 wrote:
Hey, I have suPhp installed on my server, and I want to prevent other users from reading the contents of php files belonging to other users.

1 option is to manually set the php file permissions to 640, however I would rather have the default permissions for php files to be set to 640.

Aren't the directory permissions inherited ? If I understand correctly, you only need to set the correct directory permissions for users, i-e rwxr-x--. The rest should be inherited from the parent AFAIK.
cr3ativ3
sheedatali wrote:
cr3ativ3 wrote:

Aren't the directory permissions inherited ? If I understand correctly, you only need to set the correct directory permissions for users, i-e rwxr-x--. The rest should be inherited from the parent AFAIK.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying.
Fire Boar
You'll want file access control lists (ACLs) - umask only deals with one user. Try looking at man setfacl to see if that's what you're after.