FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best driving games

David_Pardy
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for more driving games.

Basically, NFSU2 is my all time favourite. I LOVE the ability to customize and tune the car, although I must say I'm not a fan of the mandatory 'ricing' up the car Smile. Also, the two best cars in the game are the 240SX and the RX-7. They're the only cars you need to beat everything Wink.

Anyway, I'm not a real big fan of Carbon (I still play it though), but I just got Most Wanted and I'm actually really enjoying it.

But I want MORE!! I'm not interested in Undercover or Hot Pursuit as I know they're not particularly good and I don't want to waste my money on mediocre games.

I've also got V8 Supercars 3.

I didn't like Test Drive Unlimited, but I suppose I'd be happy to give it another go if I get desperate.

Any other suggestions?
gueda
You tried Gran Turismo before?
I don't know if have for computer.

disturbedscape
Yeah, Gran Turismo is like the best driving game graphic wise, but I like NFS2's gameplay.
David_Pardy
Graphics aren't an issue. I'm more interested in the gameplay. Carbon has great graphics but is a fairly boring game!
spinout
some like arcade and some like simulation - i always go for simulation!

Iliked the first flatout - then the rest went toooooo arcade.
I liked motor city online - well not the best simulation but the best environment - car modulation game ever AND the best online game ever.

Hm, do u remember the f1 sim for the amiga?? I had a splendid function - drive some laps then let your pal drive (or all the other players) the same distance and the computer drives your car at the pace u had. That was so fun! You let the joystick go from hand to hand!

I await the ultra real standard car sim!!
hamza1122
i Liked Midnight Club Dub Edition. I played it on Xbox (not 360) and it was hectic. but i stopped coz it was getting harder and i wasn't winning a lot so i gave up. i was 60% finished from my career ><"
Zombie
Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, Forza... great racing games
tingkagol
One word: GRID.

Its Le Mans 24-hour race is worth noting (time sped up of course, but you keep racing until it gets dark, and until the sun rises Smile ) - I've never played any race track in any game that really satisfied my hunger for speed. The "control feel" needs getting used to though, but once you do- it's awesome.

But if you fancy spoilers, sideskirts, rims and whatnot, I believe NFS Most Wanted is the best in that area. (I actually think NFSU2 sucked. I enjoyed the original NFSU more.)
David_Pardy
I'm not interested in 'ricing up' cars (I hated that in NFSU2), but I'm REALLY enjoying MW at the moment, and I'm going to stick with lowered sleepers for every car I go with from now on - I'm about to take on the 5th on the Blacklist with a fully tweaked Mazda RX-7. I paid hand over fist for this car, it is without question the best car in the game up until this point and worth every cent. When I get the next guy's Lamborghini I'll probably start using that though Wink.

Oh, and speedbreakers make dodging Rhinos sooo much easier. I never thought of using them up until I read the word somewhere and it reminded me of them Smile.

I haven't played the original NFSU, I probably should. Is GRID just pure racing, or is story based like the NFS games?
traxion
David_Pardy wrote:
I'm not interested in 'ricing up' cars (I hated that in NFSU2), but I'm REALLY enjoying MW at the moment, and I'm going to stick with lowered sleepers for every car I go with from now on - I'm about to take on the 5th on the Blacklist with a fully tweaked Mazda RX-7. I paid hand over fist for this car, it is without question the best car in the game up until this point and worth every cent. When I get the next guy's Lamborghini I'll probably start using that though Wink.

Oh, and speedbreakers make dodging Rhinos sooo much easier. I never thought of using them up until I read the word somewhere and it reminded me of them Smile.

I haven't played the original NFSU, I probably should. Is GRID just pure racing, or is story based like the NFS games?

grid and the grand turismo games you can try
the midlight club is also a good one.

i play most of the time burnout paradice, buts that not really a game of youre type i think
David_Pardy
Burnouts are great!

But I don't think I'd want to play a game about doing burnouts, it's just not the same.

Of course, I am completely ignorant of what you do in Burnout Paradise so please take that with a grain of salt.

I have what I think is a fair question - I don't recall ever seeing a PC version of Gran Turismo, and does GRID come with a PC version?
Spartan
Formula 1? I love that game.
tingkagol
Quote:
and does GRID come with a PC version?

Yes.
Quote:

It has a career style single player, much like the NFS games. However, you get to start your own racing team, recruit drivers to race along with you and double the prices when both of you do well.

The only other driving game that really got me addicted with its career mode was NFS High Stakes. That game was awesome.
amperx
NFSU series, and gran tourismo Very Happy i totally love the details in that game
ikanep
Gran Tourismo for PS3 but the only thing is that i don't like the fact that they don't simulate crashes or bumps with other cars... plus paying 30 dollars for a demo of the game... but NFS is pretty good as well

Do any of you have Midnight Club? is that any good?
spinout
I got grid but it is great action but still too arcade
sheedatali
If your choice is to look for best possible way available to drive on PC which is close to real life then all the games mentioned above are rubbish in that department. They do give blingy graphics, shiny tracks and kewl cars, however they are not realistic, not even close. They are designed to make the end user feel good, not make them feel what would happen in real life, hence they are all classified as 'ARCADE' games. Don't get me wrong though, there is market for that, some games just want to have fun and do not care about performance etc which is fine since the point of these games is to make you feel good.

However if you are after some realistic stuff that is close to real life (within limits of course), then I would suggest trying out Simulation games such as 'GTR2', 'Rfactor', 'Live For Speed', 'Net Kar Pro' etc. These are designed to be as close to real life as possible and most of them are moddable which means you can get almost any type of racing on them (Rally, Circuit, Drag, Karting, Open Wheelers etc). They are so real that they are used by real F1 drivers for practicing before the GP's etc. They are hard to get used to though since they do not take any nonsense driving, you need to give right steering/throttle/braking input with a Wheel controller to drive and get good lap times otherwise you will just spin or be too slow. And of course they all support online gaming and that is where they thrive. Just have a look and you will find out Simraing is very big.
slashnburn99
go retro

ps1 formula 1 1996

link up the two ps1s

we played real grand prixs for a season

That was the best ever race game

or the original wipeout played the same way
tingkagol
sheedatali wrote:
If your choice is to look for best possible way available to drive on PC which is close to real life then all the games mentioned above are rubbish in that department. They do give blingy graphics, shiny tracks and kewl cars, however they are not realistic, not even close.

Then again, most games are. If you want something real, drive a real car.
spinout
I really miss MCO - motor city online! Sad Sad

The best driving online game ever.
sheedatali
tingkagol wrote:

Then again, most games are. If you want something real, drive a real car.

Have you ever driven rFactor with CTDP mod for F1 or RaceX mod for GT cars. Or GTR2 for GT cars.

Try it with real FFB wheel such as G25 and then you will realize that these games are pretty much accurate as far as the physics are concerned. Of course they can not emulate physical conditions, but work in progress to get that too i-e realistic G-Force cockpits with proper race conditions (Heat etc). I have driven real cars, and cars in game, and believe me, the difference is amazingly very little. No wonder that real F1 drivers use these games to practice.