FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reflecting telescopes

carlospro7
Has anyone ever built their own reflecting telescope? After a lab in my physics class on light behavior and reflection and refraction, my professor mentioned that reflecting telescopes are, compared to others, an inexpensive type of telescope, and probably one of the easier ones to make. I thought maybe this would be a cool project to do someday. He said that people build their own often as home projects. Although to build a good one, I bet it takes some accurate calculations, decent parts, and good lenses. I'm not asking for instructions as I've seen some online, but does anybody have any experience?
ocalhoun
You could easily build your own, but do yourself a favor, and buy the lens(es) and mirror, or have some company custom-manufacture them for you. The difficult part is the extreme precision those parts must be made with. If they're misshaped even very slightly, your view will be distorted badly.
Ivanluisky
Yes! Very Happy
You can buy the primary and secondary mirrors and do it yourself.
If the ATM (Amateur Telescope Maker) sells good mirrors your telescope will be better than meade's orion's telescopes of the same diameter..
Terrasis-Cian
When you say physics class? Are you currently studying in Univercity?
chatrack
Students in vocational higher secondary school has made a small reflecting type
telescope. It is smiple one, with low magnification. They used 50 cm concave mirror mirror strip
squire shape (for 90 degree change) and a convex lens to look through.
carlospro7
Terrasis-Cian wrote:
When you say physics class? Are you currently studying in Univercity?

Yes. I'm not a physics major, but I was taking some physics classes to fulfill my science requirements. Any reason you are curious?