FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


British Columbia 2009 General Election





gandalfthegrey
The British Columbia 2009 General Election will be held on May 12th, 2009. It will be a showdown between the right-wing Liberal Party of British Columbia and the social democrats of the New Democratic Party of British Columbia. Liberal incumbent Premier Gordon Campbell is running for a third-term as Premier. He is being challenged by uber-socialist leader Carole James of the New Democratic Party. Also running is Green Party of British Columbia and their leader Jane Sterk, a Victoria-area city councillor. Hopefully the Greens will be able to win a few seats this election.

I personally can't stand the BC NDP party or their leader. I hate their affirmative action policy for choosing candidate. If a seat is determined to be winnable and their is no incumbent from the party, or the incumbent is retiring, then the candidate must be a woman. I don't like their ties to unions either.

I don't too much like the Liberals either. They are quite the contradiction. On one hand they are one of the most right-wing governments in North America. On the other hand, they are the only jurisdiction in North America to implement a carbon tax on emissions. Conservative environmentalists... only in British Columbia!
gandalfthegrey
Who do you think will win?
How many seats do you think each party will get?

Which party will dominate the Lower Mainland? The interior? Vancouver Island?
gandalfthegrey
These are the predictions from the Election Prediction Project:

BC Liberals 34
BC NDP 23
BC Greens 0
Other 0
Too Close 28
Total 85

http://www.electionprediction.org/2009_bc/index.php
deanhills
I think the Liberals will win. Their strongest position to win is always when they are the opposition party. I think Gordon Campbell will get in as the previous times that he has, he did well with the economy.

My usual election district was Vancouver Central - and even when I did not particularly like the Liberal Party, I always voted for Hedy Fry. I think her election will be almost automatic. I have a lot of respect for her and she has very strong support in her electoral district.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Fry

I won't be able to vote of course as I am living outside Canada at the moment.
LumberJack
I am hoping for a liberal minority Smile
deanhills
LumberJack wrote:
I am hoping for a liberal minority Smile

Who are you hoping will win the election, and who do you think will win the election? Smile
gandalfthegrey
As much as I dislike Gordon Campbell, I think Carole James would be dangerous economically if she were to be elected. She'd just hand the province over to the unions.

The only way the liberals could have a minority is if the British Columbia Green Party elects a couple of seats. At best I think they could win one seat (Jane Sterk, their leader).
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
As much as I dislike Gordon Campbell, I think Carole James would be dangerous economically if she were to be elected. She'd just hand the province over to the unions.

The only way the liberals could have a minority is if the British Columbia Green Party elects a couple of seats. At best I think they could win one seat (Jane Sterk, their leader).
Agreed. I'm not totally a fan of Gordon Campbell's, nor the Liberal Party, but probably he and the Liberal Party are the better of all evils right now. Smile
gandalfthegrey
I am enjoying watching the British Columbia New Democratic Party implode. What a shock that former BC NDP MLA and Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson endorsing Gordon Campbell and the BC Liberals.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.canucks.com%2Flofiversion%2Findex.php%2Ft230622.html&ei=LbTmSYiXHqHSMIP-pd8F&usg=AFQjCNHX54jkrAcYcdtDmGavoOx5GDXFpg&sig2=MqChM1TTyQOGXxUMPb7VjQ
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
I am enjoying watching the British Columbia New Democratic Party implode. What a shock that former BC NDP MLA and Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson endorsing Gordon Campbell and the BC Liberals.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.canucks.com%2Flofiversion%2Findex.php%2Ft230622.html&ei=LbTmSYiXHqHSMIP-pd8F&usg=AFQjCNHX54jkrAcYcdtDmGavoOx5GDXFpg&sig2=MqChM1TTyQOGXxUMPb7VjQ
Why should it be a shock? Sounds absolutely typical of what this guy would be doing. But yes, if Gordon Campbell does not come in, he may be in some sort of trouble. So who knows, maybe he is hedging a bet and hoping to be rewarded for it if Gordon Campbell should win! Smile
gandalfthegrey
Who thinks the Green Party will be able to get a seat or two?

How much percent of the electorate do you think they'll be able to get?


Probably I'm guessing 0 seats and 17%
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Who thinks the Green Party will be able to get a seat or two?

How much percent of the electorate do you think they'll be able to get?


Probably I'm guessing 0 seats and 17%
Sounds right to me. Amazing that they made it this far though. Must say something good at least for BC. Smile
LumberJack
So far, the only thing that this election has proved, is that BC suffers from a severe lack of options Sad
deanhills
LumberJack wrote:
So far, the only thing that this election has proved, is that BC suffers from a severe lack of options Sad
I don't think BC is alone in this. I thought the US Presidential election suffered from very much the same, and then thinking wider, it looks like a worldwide phenomenon. The really good and strong leaders do no want to enter politics. I can't think of one strong leader in Government right now. Can you?
gandalfthegrey
Gordon Campbell's Liberal Party won re-election (no surprise).

I've heard many pundits describe that the election was a referendum on the carbon tax proposal.
What do you think the consequences and fall out from the election will be?

I think the New Democratic Party sure dodged a bullet, for if they had been elected and gotten rid of the carbon tax, the socialists would have never heard the end of it from everyone else. The National Post described the province as dodging a bullet by not electing the New Democratic Party.

I think Carole James will go, but not right away. She is not connecting with enough people.

The Greens are unfortunately probably toast now.

And I think this is the last we'll be hearing about electorial reform for a while.
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Gordon Campbell's Liberal Party won re-election (no surprise).

I've heard many pundits describe that the election was a referendum on the carbon tax proposal.
What do you think the consequences and fall out from the election will be?

I think the New Democratic Party sure dodged a bullet, for if they had been elected and gotten rid of the carbon tax, the socialists would have never heard the end of it from everyone else. The National Post described the province as dodging a bullet by not electing the New Democratic Party.

I think Carole James will go, but not right away. She is not connecting with enough people.

The Greens are unfortunately probably toast now.

And I think this is the last we'll be hearing about electorial reform for a while.
I have a feeling that sentiment will drastically change after the winter olympics. Already people are unhappy with all the expenditure as well as lack of communication that has been going on. Once people realize the damages financially after the winter olympics and expectations perhaps not met for those who went all out in investing in properties, people may want new leaders for the Province.
Related topics
Where do you live?
Not Voting is Reasonable for People Who Want Freedom
Google Registers A Few New Domain Names
Can you Guess Quizz!
Sharon back in operating theatre
Turkey Bird flu Spreads
Brain/Head Transplant. The possibilities?
HFSS - how bad is the problem? Where is the line?
Carbon Tax in British Columbia
my tummy gets bigger
Are you watching IPL?
[Cosmos] Dos lunas en agosto 27 de 2009
Americans want universal health care. Why can't we get it?
What will be the result of the UK General Election 2010?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.