FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Support Experiences - NEC

malcolmpreen
Following up from my positive DELL experiences (see other thread), I've also had a not so good experience recently with NEC.

The PC in question is running Windows XP.... and for the last 3 months there have been odd experiences....

When I power on the machine, I get a "blue screen of death". This typically happens two or three times every week. As soon as I note down the error codes, I power off the machine and power it on again and normally it boots cleanly.

Occasionally (twice in three months) the machine also crashes on shutdown.

In addition to this, the ethernet adapter on the motherboard stops working... and then comes back "later".

To me, this seems very likely to be a failure on the motherboard, but the NEC Support contacts keep insisting that Windows should be re-installed....

This gives me a problem because (a) I don't believe it will work (b) re-installing windows is a major hassle...

Firstly, the machine came to me pre-installed... and I don't have the installation media - which means I need to go back to my company support who should be able to re-install.... But, I need to back up a load of data - and I've now discovered that in addition to everything else, the DVD drive doesn't work either...

Whilst I cannot confirm that re-installing windows will not work until I do it.... it strikes me as the "typical windows support" solution of "just reboot the machine".

Anyway, this problem continues.... and I am most dissatisfied with NEC Support.

Has anyone else dealt with these people ?

Malcolm
sheedatali
malcolmpreen wrote:
Following up from my positive DELL experiences (see other thread), I've also had a not so good experience recently with NEC.

The PC in question is running Windows XP.... and for the last 3 months there have been odd experiences....

When I power on the machine, I get a "blue screen of death". This typically happens two or three times every week. As soon as I note down the error codes, I power off the machine and power it on again and normally it boots cleanly.

In addition to this, the ethernet adapter on the motherboard stops working... and then comes back "later".

To me, this seems very likely to be a failure on the motherboard, but the NEC Support contacts keep insisting that Windows should be re-installed....

This gives me a problem because (a) I don't believe it will work (b) re-installing windows is a major hassle...

Firstly, the machine came to me pre-installed... and I don't have the installation media - which means I need to go back to my company support who should be able to re-install.... But, I need to back up a load of data - and I've now discovered that in addition to everything else, the DVD drive doesn't work either...

Whilst I cannot confirm that re-installing windows will not work until I do it.... it strikes me as the "typical windows support" solution of "just reboot the machine".

Malcolm

Well you could try to reinstall it, no harm in doing that. It sounds like a driver is corrupted which when used (randomly) tries to access a bad memory address and your OS goes bonkers and just gives up. So doing a clean install might solve the problem. It is also possible that your memory has a bad area, and when your OS access that area randomly during run time it causes an access violation resulting in a crash. There are other possibilities too. I would try to do the reinstall first, if that does not solve it then try to do a MemTest on the system, memtest86+ is very good and free program do do that. If all of that does not produce any results then I will get on the phone with NEC and not leave them till the problem is either resolved or they provide a replacement.
ilie88
malcolmpreen wrote:

Malcolm

Hi,

well, you can tell me how many degrees is your proc?
IceCreamTruck
You need what I need... a passport! yes, a passport is a tiny hard drive that has "loads" of space for your ...
malcolmpreen wrote:
load of data

They are super cool, and I could afford one right now, but the one I want is a little more expensive and will do both usb 2.0 and firewire

And these mechanical drives are getting cheaper! yes, I believe that the demand for solid state drives will cause the mechanical counterparts to be very inexpensive indeed. i have already picked out the drive that will suit my current needs pretty well with a very low profile.

I hope this helps! hit me back if you have more questions!