FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Yawning.






Do you believe me?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
I don't understand your logic.
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

manlear
I've heard many theories about "Yawning" and why we do it. Some say it is to cool your brain, others say to rid of excess chemicals in the blood stream to keep your Ph Level at an constant.

But no one has actually answered the question "why".

I agree with the chemical theory. Every action in our body "uses" chemicals and creates them and mixes them. Yet, were do these chemicals go when there is too much of it? Scientists say in an experiment people actually yawned while exercising. Yet they don't know why?

Have you ever wondered why we yawn more often on a "rainy" day? My theory is that air pollution and "acid rain" is causing this. As it rains more chemicals are so-called "spilled" into the air. In which we breath in. When our brain senses our Ph level too high. It yawns, Therefore releasing some chemicals and lowering our Ph Level.

Please tell me your theory! I will be happy to hear your point-of-view!!

Sincerely,
~Manlear~
coreymanshack
manlear wrote:
I've heard many theories about "Yawning" and why we do it. Some say it is to cool your brain, others say to rid of excess chemicals in the blood stream to keep your Ph Level at an constant.

But no one has actually answered the question "why".

I agree with the chemical theory. Every action in our body "uses" chemicals and creates them and mixes them. Yet, were do these chemicals go when there is too much of it? Scientists say in an experiment people actually yawned while exercising. Yet they don't know why?

Have you ever wondered why we yawn more often on a "rainy" day? My theory is that air pollution and "acid rain" is causing this. As it rains more chemicals are so-called "spilled" into the air. In which we breath in. When our brain senses our Ph level too high. It yawns, Therefore releasing some chemicals and lowering our Ph Level.

Please tell me your theory! I will be happy to hear your point-of-view!!

Sincerely,
~Manlear~


I heard it was was something to do with air pressure and your brain.
Josso
Good question.

I'm surprised this hasn't been researched already, are there no studies on this?
manlear
There are many studies in process right now. But they have yet to find an answer. Im sticking to my hypothesis Very Happy
Gagnar The Unruly
I thought it had to do with low blood oxygen. That would explain why we yawn more on rainy days.
ocalhoun
The fact that horses yawn despite not breathing through their mouths makes most of these reasons very questionable.

I'm thinking it could be a vestigial trait that once served a practical purpose for some long-ago common ancestor, but now isn't needed anymore. However, nothing caused animals that yawned to pass on genes less often than those that didn't, so it never evolved away.
manlear
They ruled out the Low blood oxygen one. The current theories are Air pressure in your brain. Ph level in blood. and Cooling down your brain.
ocalhoun
manlear wrote:
They ruled out the Low blood oxygen one. The current theories are Air pressure in your brain. Ph level in blood. and Cooling down your brain.

The lack of airflow would seem to make blood Ph and cooling bad reasons for horse yawns.
There isn't any air in your brain that I'm aware of, but the pressure of the liquid there might be changed by a yawn because of the muscle and bone movement close to the skull. I doubt this is the same for every species that yawns though. It may be the reason that common ancestor started yawning.
manlear
Yeah my bad i meant liquid ^ i was trying to get done, had to go Very Happy But yeah, i still don't understand. So whats your hypothesis?
ocalhoun
manlear wrote:
So whats your hypothesis?


ocalhoun wrote:

I'm thinking it could be a vestigial trait that once served a practical purpose for some long-ago common ancestor, but now isn't needed anymore. However, nothing caused animals that yawned to pass on genes less often than those that didn't, so it never evolved away.
manlear
And you think that purpose is?
ocalhoun
manlear wrote:
And you think that purpose is?

Who knows?
If I was determined to find out, I'd start by finding out which animals in existence now yawn, and which do not. Then, I'd see what the latest ancestor is that all of the yawning animals have in common. Then, perhaps it would be easier to figure out why that early animal started yawning.
frih
well i will say it makes our body comfortable. and relax.
t
Bannik
i remember a teacher telling yawning is something we do when we lack oxygen or something like that, cause you do take in a lot of oxygen when you yawn and usually you do it when tired etc.....

i dont know....


INDI IS JESUS
speeDemon
Bannik wrote:
i remember a teacher telling yawning is something we do when we lack oxygen or something like that, cause you do take in a lot of oxygen when you yawn and usually you do it when tired etc.....

i dont know....


INDI IS JESUS


Well, I dont really think that it's for taking in oxygen.. I mean, for taking in loads of oxygen, you'd just take a deep breath.... not yawn...

Ever heard of spreading of yawning.. I mean, when one person yawns, then in some time a near-by person would also yawn.. and the series continues...

My only experiences of yawning tell me: I dont just yawn at anytime.. its only at 2 times.. when I have just waken, and when I am sleepy..

Thats it...

maybe its a way of exhaling something... I mean, usually, after yawning, you'd usually exhale with a little xtra force Razz haha!! anyway..

thats my stupid theory!

btw, why is this topic in the universe category?
tony
I thought it is to receive more oxygen for your brain...
ocalhoun
tony wrote:
I thought it is to receive more oxygen for your brain...

As noted earlier, horse yawns invalidate this theory, because they don't breathe through their mouths, so yawning can't increase oxygen for the brain.
coreymanshack
ocalhoun wrote:
tony wrote:
I thought it is to receive more oxygen for your brain...

As noted earlier, horse yawns invalidate this theory, because they don't breathe through their mouths, so yawning can't increase oxygen for the brain.



why do you think other animals are the same as humans.
Jinx
So why do we yawn when sleepy or bored?
Why do I feel more sleepy after a good yawn than I did before the yawn?

I think it's a mechanism for forcing the slowing of respiration and heartbeat in preparation for sleep. A deep yawn can take two to three times the amount of time as a normal inhale and exhale. Slower breathing can also slow the heartbeat. Slow deep breaths are relaxing and calming.

So perhaps a yawn is the body's way of forcing itself into a calmer state to make sleep easier.

But then, I'm no expert, and this is just based on my own thoughts and observations, not any kind of research.
ocalhoun
coreymanshack wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
tony wrote:
I thought it is to receive more oxygen for your brain...

As noted earlier, horse yawns invalidate this theory, because they don't breathe through their mouths, so yawning can't increase oxygen for the brain.



why do you think other animals are the same as humans.

Why do you think they are different?

Why should they both display the exact same behavior for different reasons?
jinger89
I prescribe to the following theory of yawning.

First, you must answer the question what happens when you yawn? You inhale deeply and then exhale a great deal of gas from your lungs. Then you inhale again replenishing your lungs with fresh air.

Second, observe when you yawn: generally when you're tired.

Now why would you want to replenish all the air from your lungs when you're tired? I believe it is for the simple reason that when you're tired your body feels that it is not getting enough oxygen. The act of yawning is simply for your body to intake more oxygen to use. The next few times you want to yawn, try and stifle it and see how you feel. And then start yawning again and you might notice a difference how you feel. Strange isn't it?
ocalhoun
jinger89 wrote:

First, you must answer the question what happens when you yawn? You inhale deeply and then exhale a great deal of gas from your lungs. Then you inhale again replenishing your lungs with fresh air.

Actually, I don't notice very much airflow during a yawn... I'd say it is less than normal breathing.

... and horses don't breathe at all when yawning, yet they still yawn.
jinger89
Ok... I'm really not sure what type of yawning you're talking about.

Here's the Wikipedia definition:
To open the mouth widely and take a long, rather deep breath, often because one is tired and sometimes accompanied by pandiculation. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yawn
ocalhoun
This kind:


And though they don't breathe through their mouths, I can personally attest that horses yawn at much the same times, when sleepy and bored.
Related topics
What would u do if u are sleepy?
Newbie pic
my yawning pic - ULTRA duper not-that-glamorous
King Kong
dose your brain stop when u sneeze?
[OFFICIAL] What's your favourite pet?
Post your pet pictures
Any writers here
Silent Hill the movie??
Sleep less to get more out of life?
Superman Returns
Pictures of me!
Macbeth Ebook
My Fanfiction and Photos I've Taken
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Science -> The Universe

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.