FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ASP.NET

snedan
I was looking through this forum trying to find some posts, but got nothing. Just wondering why people don't use it? I've been playing with it for a good year and what can i say; like all Microsoft products: extremely easy to get your project done, if you don't need any extraordinary things. And .NET framework makes your job a breeze.
coreymanshack
snedan wrote:
I was looking through this forum trying to find some posts, but got nothing. Just wondering why people don't use it? I've been playing with it for a good year and what can i say; like all Microsoft products: extremely easy to get your project done, if you don't need any extraordinary things. And .NET framework makes your job a breeze.

It costs money. PHP doesnt. Windows costs money, linux doesnt. Netbeans doesnt cost money, dreamweaver does.

Catch my drift? Very Happy
Fire Boar
Indeed. PHP's a lot more flexible too I find. Certainly that flexibility is right at your fingertips.

The big downer is that ASP.NET requires you to be running a Windows server. These are far more expensive than Linux servers and a LOT less reliable too.

So really, ASP is good for if you have a lot of money and want to do smaller tasks quickly. PHP is far better for large-scale development and low-budget development, but works equally well on a smaller scale. Hence, PHP is the more popular.

I think websites owned by Microsoft are the only high traffic ones that actually use ASP nowadays. Everyone else uses PHP for its compatibility with a stable operating system, its low cost and its flexibility and power.
SonLight
A free version of ASP.NET is available through the MONO project:

http://mono-project.com/ASP.NET

The .net model is potentially attractive, because it should be possible to write an application to run locally and then port it to the web, or vice versa. I do not know whether .net is as good a language for web applications as php, but I think it is well worth exploring.

Although php can be used to develop desktop applications (by using CLI mode), most poeple would probably agree that .net is a much better choice in that case. With the right classes providing an interface to a GUI that works the same whether on the web or on the desktop, I believe .net has a great potential.

This remains to be fully developed, however. For the time being, the main reason for working with mono/asp.net is to provide a replacement for the Microsoft equivalent.
coreymanshack
SonLight wrote:

The .net model is potentially attractive, because it should be possible to write an application to run locally and then port it to the web, or vice versa. I do not know whether .net is as good a language for web applications as php, but I think it is well worth exploring.

Although php can be used to develop desktop applications (by using CLI mode), most poeple would probably agree that .net is a much better choice in that case. With the right classes providing an interface to a GUI that works the same whether on the web or on the desktop, I believe .net has a great potential.

This remains to be fully developed, however. For the time being, the main reason for working with mono/asp.net is to provide a replacement for the Microsoft equivalent.

Uhm, you can create a gui with php running on the desktop.
umeshtangnu
coreymanshack wrote:
SonLight wrote:

Uhm, you can create a gui with php running on the desktop.

neither can u with ASP.net but i think you can do it with php-gtk ,never tried it myself though
Fire Boar
Yeah, php-gtk would work for desktop applications. GTK is a GUI library so php-gtk would be an interface with GTK, hence GUI.

However, this isn't really a comparison of .NET and PHP, it's a comparison of ASP.NET and PHP. Both are focused on web development and, frankly, PHP is the superior choice.
SonLight
Fire Boar wrote:
Yeah, php-gtk would work for desktop applications. GTK is a GUI library so php-gtk would be an interface with GTK, hence GUI.

However, this isn't really a comparison of .NET and PHP, it's a comparison of ASP.NET and PHP. Both are focused on web development and, frankly, PHP is the superior choice.

Thanks to all who mentioned php-gtk. I didn't know about it, but it stands to reason there would be a GUI solution for php by now.

True, asp.net cannot be used on the desktop. But asp.net is a special flavor of .net coding in general, which can be. Either .net or php should be usable for code designed to be easily ported from web to desktop or vice versa. The point is that most of the cade should be re-usable by either environment. In either language, though, you would need to keep the details of interfacing to the user's display separate from the rest of the logic. Both languages should lend themselves to the creation of objects which make it easy to retarget the application, by determining whether the program is hooked to a web server or a desktop GUI, and interpreting the implementation of the programmer's display commands accordingly.