FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Content management systems

pevensie
OK, I'm transferring a site, Dawn Treader Voyage to Frihost and I'm trying to decide whether I should keep my current layout, design, etc or start using php-Nuke, Mambo, or Xoops. I'm not sure exactly what they would do - my site's a Narnia site with the regular "encyclopedia" type of info about C.S. Lewis, the books, the movies - all that jazz - and I might add a forum too. I don't know exactly what CMS's handle.
So, what this boils down to, is, would a CMS do what I need, do you think? And which one would you recommend?
mostarac
I think that you should start using CMS.
I can see that you like lite designs so I can suggest you to use CMS like: XOOPS > www.xoops.org

Or you can try any of most known cms @ http://www.opensourcecms.com/ Cool
maxstro
JOOMLA or
JOOMLA lite version - Limbo
pevensie
Thanks for the suggestions, both look really good, not sure which to use! Very Happy
einar
To some degree it depends on how experienced a user you are. Setting up a Joomla/mambo site is extremely easy. To install and apply an existing GPL template is even easier.

But: the structure and layout of the site is to a certain degree dependent on the system. I suggest that you browse around joomla/mambo sites and decide wether you can live with the designs they offer. Many places offers a template switch feature as well.

Here you can try the different CMS systems online:
http://opensourcecms.com

Try different templates here:
http://showcase.mambosolutions.com/free/
Texas Al
If you want to go with Mambo/Joomla, here is The World's Shortest and Laziest Mambo Tutorial written by a certified genius Wink

Mambo is kind of wierd to learn in the beginning, but after you get used to it, it's great (except most of the WYSIWYG editors available for it suck).

But if your site is an encyclopedia of Narnia, you might consider using TikiWiki as your CMS (it's available through Fantastico also). Wikis seem to go well with the encyclopedia format whereas Mambo and similar CMSs are more for blogs and zines where new articles get added frequently and old ones get archived.
pevensie
Thanks for the many suggestions, everyone, I really appreciate them.
I've done my research at the site a couple people suggested - opensourcecms.com, I think it was - and finally decided to go with Etomite, because the template system is very easy to use - you can use a regular web site design, you just need to insert the right tags in the right places - and it displays content in a very efficient and easy-to-use way. Very Happy It doesn't have all the modules and all that other systems have but I think I'll be happy with it! Wink
Antwon
Thanks for the suggestions! I will use them wisely!
Garg
So xoops does work on frihost ? I've been having some problems with it on other (free) servers: not php errors, error 500 type (which i have no clue how to 'fix').
Tieskevo
that was very usefull for me too tnx..
pevensie
Garg wrote:
So xoops does work on frihost ? I've been having some problems with it on other (free) servers: not php errors, error 500 type (which i have no clue how to 'fix').

Yes, it does work on Frihost, I've run it.
threezeroone
whats xoops? what does it do?
pevensie
Xoops is a content management system. It creates an interface to manage all your data, and can add polls, forums - stuff like that - without you coding anything.
www.xoops.org
Garg
pevensie wrote:
Xoops is a content management system. It creates an interface to manage all your data, and can add polls, forums - stuff like that - without you coding anything.
www.xoops.org

Basically, you can edit the different modules you want to add or remove from the site... You've got forum, photo galleries, calendars with event notification, and other more specific stuff: hotel reservations, etc ... .

It's quite easy to install : took me 30 minutes for the "spine" of the site to be installed... the rest is just simple editing of modules and appearence (themes are also available, but you can edit them quite simply)

Anyway, i think xoops is quite good for small sites destined for exchanges within an association which doesn't meet often... eg clans (beurk), real life associations: student fraternitys... (that's all i use it for anyway)
david150
I use Joomla, its very easy and better than php-nuke,
Joomla is like mambo, you can find it on the cpanel. See: Fantastico.