FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sata hard disk problem

titus1972
Hi,
I recently bought a new seagate 500gb hard drive.It was working fine for 2 months.but since past few days i am getting hard drive error.
The sata is detected in bios, device manager, but i am not able to access the data,nor the drive is showing up in 'my computer'.

I checked using partition software.It detects the drive but doesnt show the volume.I cannot create,delete partition on the hard disk.

I also changed the cables. Still its not working.

Is there some way the data can be recovered.

My confg is

Intel p4,Asus p5ld2vm motherboard, 1gb ram, 160gb sata( contains os), 40gb IDE hdd

Thanks
ForceRun
I don't know about data recovery other than trying it in a different computer. I recently got 2 1.5 Tb Seagates and they are crap, I got one working finally after a firmware update. Long story DO NOT BUY SEAGATE! RMA your drive dude.
David_Pardy
Seagate are the best HHD manufacturer out there. They always have been and they still are. Just don't buy their drives marketed as Maxtor drives.

The technology used in the 1.5TB drives is still quite new. I personally wouldn't touch them myself as there's so much you could lose if one did fail.

Seagate have their "SeaTools" downloadable from their website, which you can burn to CD or run from Windows and it will scan your hard drives and allow you to run tests on the drive. It can fix some problems, other problems it will tell you what you need to do to fix.
ForceRun
Seagate has a recent very bad rep!

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/11/2125227

Actually they release the 1.5TB drives on Black friday, with at least a 50%-75% total Fail rate! It took a month for them to help the first customers. Then they released a BAD firmware to 'fix the problem' that 'Bricked' (Killed completely) a bunch of the drives. Then they refused to RMA the busted drives. They sold the drive knowing that it was unuseable just to make a sell then left the customers out to dry. I know because I got 2, one works after a second firmware update, the other is useless.
Skye001
have you tried mounting the drive? If you see it in MMC > (storage option cant remember the exact menu> you can try to mount the drive and see if it comes up.
internetjobs
i am also believing in Seagate. Are you hearing any sound from the HDD?.. then it should be problem or you can try updating the firmware... or can contact manufacturer..
gilwe
Hi,
I recently bought a new seagate 500gb hard drive.It was working fine for 2 months.but since past few days i am getting hard drive error.
The sata is detected in bios, device manager, but i am not able to access the data,nor the drive is showing up in 'my computer'.

I checked using partition software.It detects the drive but doesnt show the volume.I cannot create,delete partition on the hard disk.

I also changed the cables. Still its not working.

Is there some way the data can be recovered.

My confg is

Intel p4,Asus p5ld2vm motherboard, 1gb ram, 160gb sata( contains os), 40gb IDE hdd

Thanks

I tend to prefer Seagate among all other manufacturers. However, you might want to replace it were you got it at the first place...
David_Pardy
Thanks for the linky on the Seagate drives.

That is incredibly disappointing, and I can't understand why they want to ruin their own fantastic reputation.