FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

pc hardware upgrade question

titus1972
Well, I run a relatively cheap C51GM-M, and I'm thinking of making a major hardware update to help run modern games. First of all, I have an AMD Athlon x2 4200+ right now and I want to upgrade to an Athlon x2 5600+. Will I have to do anything other than physically replacing the cpu, heatsink, and fan?

Also, I want to add a Geforce 8800 GTS (320MB) on my computer. I looked to see for updates in the mobo BIOS on the website, and the latest update was from 2003. Do I need to find some way to update it (goes for CPU too)? After I install the GPU, will I have to disable the onboard graphics, or will the computer do tht itself?

Also, will my VGA monitor run with the 8800 GTS?
ForceRun
Quote:
Will I have to do anything other than physically replacing the cpu, heatsink, and fan?
I believe both are AM2 so you should be fine to drop in the new cpu.

Quote:
Do I need to find some way to update it (goes for CPU too)?
As long as the mobo supports the new cpu you don't have to update anything. If it doesn't you might have to flash the Bios or give up.

Quote:
After I install the GPU, will I have to disable the onboard graphics, or will the computer do tht itself?
It wouldn't auto disable but if I were you I would. You can do it from the devise manager or the Bios.

Quote:
Also, will my VGA monitor run with the 8800 GTS?
Yes, it will work fine. You may need a VGA to DVI convertor for you video card, but you should have one with it.