FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what do you think about call center jobs?

agulto
not considering outsourcing no flames please. would you work in a call center if you didn't have any other choice if given the premise that they pay you 3x as much as a regular 9-5 day job and of course you have to work in shifts.
Zombie
I would much prefer a different job. However, if it was my only choice I would work in a call center as a last resort. Dealing with people over the phone can be a headache, which is why I would avoid this job.
Jinx
I worked in a call center once. It was cold-call telemarketing (yeah, I was one of those annoying people who would interrupt you evening and try to sell you something). I hated it. I only lasted about a month even though the pay was better than any other job I'd had up to that point.

I felt guilty for bothering people, I felt guilty for pressuring them (we weren't allowed to end the call until they had said no at least three times), I hated feeling pressured to make my quotas, I hated being cussed at.

Occasionally I would get a very lonely old person on the line who just wanted to chat because they didn't have anyone else to talk to and that made me very sad.

I don't think working tech support or customer service would be all that bad - as long as people are calling you and not the other way around. But if you are thinking about going into telemarketing I recommend against it unless you have very thick skin.

It's not a job I would ever go back to - even if my only other option was begging on the street. I'm not ever going to have a job I have to feel ashamed of ever again.
Even selling my body would be preferable - at least prostitution is an ancient profession that was once, long ago in the temples of Ishtar and Aphrodite, considered sacred.

Nobody likes a telemarketer.
shkhanal
Thank you a lot for sharing your experiences. As long as you don't need to push sell, I think it would be enjoying as a part time job. It would be interesting to work as tech support .
Joanne
Shouldnt this be on another forum page?

I actually made a post about this.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104158.html
deanhills
I also did that once upon a time in my life. I don't think it works well. Networking is much more effective. Anyway, it was a good experience, sort of humbles a person and make you think about other people when they have to call you from a call centre.
Futile
I could not do it being a former Network Admin. I have little patience for giving support or advice on the phone. I am a hands on person. If you are in front of me I have the patience of Solomon to help you with your problem and make sure everything is alright but on the phone all bets are off.
andredesignz
Am glad someone has started a topic like this, I am a Jamaican and there is a lot of outsourcing company here and I must say that I am glad to be in one of the company
and guess what am making a lot of money believe it or not. Let me give you a idea what am making per month quoted in US $ 561 and that’s JA$50,000… For Jamaicans there is nothing wrong with working in a outsourcing company but for some company that is under paying workers am sure they would have a problem which they normally do.
We have a few shifts what we work but I mostly do the morning shifts so I can get to go home early to my other job as a graphic designer and a photography I work from 8am to 4:30pm. If you take the late shift you would get a 15% increase in your pay. Over the pass 4 yrs am working I have
changed one outsourcing company for better pay and I don’t intended to leave this one am in for now until my photography business started officially check out my work her http://andregyoung.com
agulto
i agree that doing tech support is better than working for a sales or collections contact center since when you're on the phone with other people it's solicited rather than haunting other people with calls to sell them stuff that they don't really need.
agulto
Joanne wrote:
Shouldnt this be on another forum page?

I actually made a post about this.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104158.html

read the post actually this is more like about what people think about the job and not really a subjective view on the call center industry. Very Happy
Crazy_Canuck
I worked as a telemarketer early in my career. Unfortunately was one of the few jobs available in my town for people with no experience. I hated it! We read from a script and at first pretended to be calling to see if people were satisified with their service but were really trying to sell them a package "deal" of 5 magazines. I only lasted about 2 months before I got fired for being completely ineffective.
mwsupra
I've mostly been in call centers the last 5 years, although I really would like to do something different. Started out as outbound credit card collections (yea that was fun), then ended up going to AOL retention department (only the pay was better... it sucks selling something you hate), and finally ended up in tech support which is my ideal call center job.

Still though, would love to make enough money off web site design or be some network admin or other non-customer interacting job Razz
Ghost900
I have never worked in a call center but I am sure I wouldn't like bugging people and I am not a pushy sales person.

On the other hand being Tech Support would be fine as they are calling you and asking for your help.
ankitdatashn
I am not much of a gossiper, cant talk so much, I would rather be bored to tak as a callcenter employee. My present job is much better, though this one is hectic as well.

One thing I have still not understood is why is callcenter job considered as apat from other jobs. Many people talk discreetly about BPO and callcenter jobs.

Anyways!!
Insanity
I'm not very great with talking with people over the phone, especially trying to convince them to buy something. I also harbor a big dislike of telemarketers who disrupt your dinners or call you in the middle of the night, so I don't think I would like being a hypocrite. Also, it seems like an insanely mundane job; you might just kill yourself over it.
Diablosblizz
I personally hate the phone, I find there are much more easier ways of talking to people. I am always afraid that somebody will burst out and start yelling at me. I don't know why, it's sort of a weird phobia. I would hate to have a job at a call centre, just think of the amount of people that are going to give you trouble, and we know everybody has done it.

Although there are two types of call centres, one being telemarketers like Jinx was, and one being help and support. I wouldn't like to be in either, like Jinx said I would feel guilty of pressuring people into buying this cruddy thing I am trying to sell. I would feel bad if I met somebody that was just looking to somebody to talk to.

In the long run, keep centres away from me!
amperx
I'd personally leave it as a last resort, if i badly need money, and can't get any other job besides working on call center.
standready
Zombie wrote:
I would much prefer a different job. However, if it was my only choice I would work in a call center as a last resort. Dealing with people over the phone can be a headache, which is why I would avoid this job.

I agree. If I had too, I would want to do tech support verses sales. That way at least I would not be calling them. Different attitude.
sondosia
Well, if I had no other choice, I would. If I had no other choice I'd work in a factory, too--jobs are necessary for survival (at least, for those of us who don't like taking other people's money).

That being said, it would be a lot more pleasant a job than many others. I always enjoy helping people, even with technical things.
[FuN]goku
Theres this place around where i live called 'Convergys' , it's a call center for tech support and what not, and i think it's just windows specific, but i could be wrong on that one. My stepmom has worked there since it opened a few years ago, and i've heard her come home pretty pissed off at times. It's not so much these days that she does though, but i think she has a different role there now and she's a higher up.

But , i was considering applying there, mostly for the fact that:

1. They're always hiring.
2. They pay more than minimum wage. ($8.10/hr here is minimum)
3. I'd rather work there than at a fast food joint.
4. I currently have no job.
5. My stepmom could probably put in a good word for me.
6. I'm good with comp related stuff, so the training would be alot smoother/easier.

Only downside is, that i hate talking to some people on the phone (dell tech support being one lol)

So it's not really my last resort in this case. But from my REAL mom, she also worked in a call center in Ontario, and hated it. She said some of her co-workers would get so frustrated that they'd just burst into tears right there, after hanging up on a call. So .. it can be really stressful.

But hey, i'd rather work in a call center, than work in a place like my last job (warehouse selector), it messes up your back if you're not careful.

Yeah.. thats my rant of the day.
missdixy
I've worked at two call centers -- one outgoing calls (phone surveys/interviews/whatever) and one incoming calls (411 assistance). The first job was shitty, the second job was a lot better. Phone centers are actually more than OK as long as I am not trying to either sell something or making outgoing calls in any way. The directory assistance job (411) was extremely good money and it was very easy.
_AVG_
I feel bad for some of the people who work in Call Centres. They just have to speak on the phone all day long ... it must be very boring.
Also, sometimes, people yell at them or talk rudely. So many times, I've received calls from a Call Centre and have told them to take a hike!
Rolling Eyes
Diablosblizz
They are just people trying to make an honest living, and it's technically is not their fault for phoning us at the wrong times. It's just like my work, the prices are extremely high and yet people complain at us, but we can't do anything about it.
missdixy
_AVG_ wrote:
I feel bad for some of the people who work in Call Centres. They just have to speak on the phone all day long ... it must be very boring.
Also, sometimes, people yell at them or talk rudely. So many times, I've received calls from a Call Centre and have told them to take a hike!
Rolling Eyes

It's really not so bad. When I worked at a call center people would be rude sometimes but it really doesn't affect you after a while. As a matter of fact, it usually just seems pretty funny.
evilryu530
doesn't seem so bad. it's a job, u have a cube, u have a phone, talk on the phone all day and get paid. especially right now, i think anyone would be happy just to haveone. we need mroe call centers.
PatTheGreat42
Speaking of flames, I'm not sure if I would like to deal with a lot of people who are probably upset that they are calling me, ya know?
Fatality
I used to work in the call center that serviced all Target Corp stores, corporate offices, and distribution centers. There was definitely its ups and downs. The main part of the job I didn't like was dealing with people that thought they knew more then you and wouldn't listen. Then only to find out an hour later that what you had first suggested actually worked. The up side to working at Target was not having to deal with the general public. For the most part the people calling were managers of customer service employees at Target stores. They were very nice and easy to work with.

At times the job would get stressful, like when one of the Point-of-Sale servers goes down and a store is completely out of business when it comes to ringing up customers. Time if of the essence int hose situations. On the other hand, sometimes it was fairly quiet and we were able to talk with our colleagues.

I don't like to sit on the phone and talk to people all day, but it wasn't terrible. I would do it again if it was like Target or with Target. I would do it again especially if I was getting paid a good wage in this economy.
agulto
personally if i was given another choice which pays as much i wont be working in a call center Twisted Evil
valadez
I have worked in a Customer Service call centre for EDF Energy before and it was the best job I'd ever had.
The people there were friendly, the pay was good, it had a Gym, Physio, newagents all inside. You didn't have set breaks, you were considered responsible enough to go at a reasonable time and come back soon.
And if you needed to use the Physio they woudl book you in during work hours and you'd still get paid Very Happy

Quote:
I worked in a call center once. It was cold-call telemarketing (yeah, I was one of those annoying people who would interrupt you evening and try to sell you something). I hated it. I only lasted about a month even though the pay was better than any other job I'd had up to that point.

I don't understand how these things make money because I know 0 people that have ever bought something from them Shocked
airh3ad
Will call center is my opinion is this is some thing that I did not think about, when all the large call center are dropping accounts like fly’s the small call centers that have some type of advertising are slowing growing bit by bit. This is nothing major compared to the number of accounts or agents that the big call centers have but its playing there toll because there prices are about the same if they were to home source in the States. So now the smaller Philippines call centers are lowering there prices to compete with the prices of the big boys along with the call centers that are offering home sourcing, does this mean that the big boys are going to go down? I don’t think so,maybe they will always be around because the very big demand will always be in need but you are going to see some of the smaller call centers in the Philippines growing over the next couple of months.This call center market is really good business.
guissmo
As a college student, going to a call center for a summer job seems doable but having it as a permanent job is a little too difficult. First of all, you wont be growing as a person when you're a call center agent. No new things to do. Just the same old problematic people. Second, there are shifts, and shifting jobs seems to make people miserable since they have to adjust their sleep every week.

That's my take on that thing.
gverutes
I think worse than call centers are those people who drop off fliers at your home during the day when you are work.

1) they are trespassing
2) they are littering

I know they are trying to increase their business but there are other ways to do it. Not to mention it is bad for the environment to print all that paper.
Next time I see one of them drop something off at my house, I am going to ask them for their address. Then, drop my crap and paper at their house...see how they like it.

Thanks for listening to me rant Smile
rvec
moved to jobs
Melacos
I'd initially avoid it for having to do that mostly out of concern for the guy at the other end of the phone, and also because my idea of the thing sounds pretty lame and non-exciting.
But no doubt I'd do it - and maybe not even as a last resort. If the money is there, and I wouldn't have to do it for too long, sure...
keane
I worked in a call center for about 2 years as a support representative when I was in college. It was my first job, and I see nothing wrong working in a call center. First, it pays well and you don't need a degree to get the job. As long as you speak English well, and you're willing to work at night, then you're good to go.

Also, the call center job is not just limited to taking calls, there are a lot of other opportunities there. You can be a quality analyst, supervisor, team leader, operations/account manager etc.

A call center job is not just about selling products, there are other lines of business like customer or technical support. I feel annoyed when people underestimate this job. It's not easy. For a technical support position, you don't follow a script like a robot. Yes, there is a script or guide, but there are plenty of circumstances that you have to use your technical, troubleshooting and logical skills to solve a problem.

Right now, I'm not in the call center industry anymore because I want to have a job related to my field. But I'm not closing my doors to working again in a call center in the future. Smile
justtj
[FuN]goku wrote:
Theres this place around where i live called 'Convergys' , it's a call center for tech support and what not, and i think it's just windows specific, but i could be wrong on that one. My stepmom has worked there since it opened a few years ago, and i've heard her come home pretty pissed off at times. It's not so much these days that she does though, but i think she has a different role there now and she's a higher up.

But , i was considering applying there, mostly for the fact that:

1. They're always hiring.
2. They pay more than minimum wage. ($8.10/hr here is minimum)
3. I'd rather work there than at a fast food joint.
4. I currently have no job.
5. My stepmom could probably put in a good word for me.
6. I'm good with comp related stuff, so the training would be alot smoother/easier.

Only downside is, that i hate talking to some people on the phone (dell tech support being one lol)

So it's not really my last resort in this case. But from my REAL mom, she also worked in a call center in Ontario, and hated it. She said some of her co-workers would get so frustrated that they'd just burst into tears right there, after hanging up on a call. So .. it can be really stressful.

But hey, i'd rather work in a call center, than work in a place like my last job (warehouse selector), it messes up your back if you're not careful.

Yeah.. thats my rant of the day.

The story here is same, only the wage differs..
1. Wage is monthly, around 1,000$ per month { Rs. 10,000 per month} , with 6 days a week, 8 hours per day..
i.e. roughly 200 hours...
2. unlike western countries, working in a fast food joint is not considered to be decent here...

so call centers are only way for students to earn money while studying..

we usually attend college in morning for 6 hours, then 8 hours in call center...
Bluedoll
Thinking the question of deciding to work in a ‘call center’ or not may be a little vague if we put all call centers in the same box because there exists a large variation of call centers.

Would you like to work as construction worker or truck driver? Lots of different jobs in those fields. True in general the jobs that are around in call centers are basically the same in that you talk on the phone. However, it can be incoming calls in a center, like computer or banking services or out going calls involving sales or information gathering. Big differences.

Depends on the company, I suppose, revolves around deciding on the job. Some of the call center positions can very stressful others very boring. Some can lead to other things, while others are dead ends.

My experience was that I liked the people aspect of the job and being able to help people was a positive but did see shift work and work ‘stress’ as a negative.

I believe there are always choices.
babygeek
did that for around 1.5 - 2 years, eons ago...very mind-numbing...but good if you want to study/do-whatever-you-want while talking to folks, esp on graveyard shifts..;P
chatrack
In our locality , call center jobs are easily available. You can join it after 1 week training.
It is tight time shedule job.
Triple_7
I was once stuck in a position...and I think I would rather live on the street then ever take a job with a call center again. Embarassed

Worked at a local book bindery some 4 months a couple years ago. They decided to take me off the floor after 3 months and stick me in a tiny cubicle with a phone, computer, and a mess of different printers. I was in charge of inbound calls for shipping and receiving. Wasn't that bad, but at least 3+ calls a day were concerning orders that had been screwed up, or hadn't shipped on time. My last couple days was anything but normal. In the previous 3 weeks some 50,000 school text books had been re-bound and shipped all over the country. They hire a group of high school students for that department because it only lasts a month during the summer. Needless to say the group that summer was not the sharpest tools in the shed. And their supervisor didn't pay attention to anything. Nothing like receiving calls from 80 different schools pissed off because their was tons of issues with the newly reworked books, and they needed them fixed in a weeks time. I had so many returns coming in at one point the printers couldn't keep up with the paperwork and kept jamming.

But that wasn't what cost me my job...I managed to pull it off despite nearly drowning in a sea of paperwork. It was one call in particular. We would run books every Thursday for the Library of Congress. Not just a few, your talking one 8 hour shift kicked out over 6,000 of them. They had special requirements and special labels that had to be put in the back cover of each book. I always hated working the lines those days because it was always a nightmare. Long story short someone screwed up big time the week before. 6,500 books went to the library with the wrong code numbers in them...somehow the 3 check points in each line and the final checkout had missed this little detail. I'm not sure what government official I received a call from that day, but he wasn't to happy, and I had already been dealing with rude calls all day long from the text book fiasco. After being threatened and called a worthless employee for letting something like this pass, mind you I hadn't had anything to do with those books...but yet I was the one taking the blame for the 30 people who had assembled them. After an hour of fighting with this guy to straiten it out to no avail...I lost my temper...and then my job. Apparently telling the guy to shove them where the sun don't shine wasn't such a good idea...but I sure felt better Laughing

Would I take a call center job again??? Only if drinking hard liquor on the job is allowed Laughing
julianharry
My 2 cousins are presently working in call centers from the past few weeks. They are finding it tough to adjust with the night shifts and also their health is being affected but they are quite happy with their salaries and nature of their job.
Chinmoy
call centre jobs are a total waste of time. they suck the life out of you and make you chase big dreams of corporate worlds, whereas all you do is stick to a chair, for all odd hours and talk to stupid people who,half of the times call to check if an indian answered the phone.
jinsdhie
for now looking for a job i think i go on call center agents from now on
umbral
they will be extinguished oneday
bigt
agulto wrote:
not considering outsourcing no flames please. would you work in a call center if you didn't have any other choice if given the premise that they pay you 3x as much as a regular 9-5 day job and of course you have to work in shifts.

If that was all I could do, yes, I'd probably work in a call center until I could find a better job. I've heard some bad stories about call centers, but I've also talked to some great workers at call centers. Really believe it wouldn't be my "cup of tea" though because it would aggravate me to talk to people that couldn't get what I was explaining to them.
Greatking
i would rather work as a face to face customer service person. i guess its ok to start off at a call center. but the price you pay is sitting for hours just answering calls instead of having the option of going out to meet poeple and resolve issues. i think it should be all round. on tthe phone, face to face, and meeting customers out side. thats what my current job entails anyway. and i have heard of the bad experience people have had with working at a call center. its very challenging yet does not give a person much exposure. the only exposure you get is talking on phone with people you dont even know. for beginners at the job market i guess its ok. for experience. but certianly not for someone who has been at the fore front to suddenly switch to call center job.
scallywag
I work at a pet salon + have to call people to remind them of appointments, and try to book people who haven't been in in a while, and I HATE bugging people. I feel like such a pest. However, I have considered working in a call center multiple times, but I would only do it if it was an incall position only (i.e, people calling you for help, questions, etc, not you calling people to sell them useless junk or services.) The money is really good as I understand it, and since you're given a script it's not overly difficult work.
Diablosblizz
scallywag wrote:
I work at a pet salon + have to call people to remind them of appointments, and try to book people who haven't been in in a while, and I HATE bugging people. I feel like such a pest. However, I have considered working in a call center multiple times, but I would only do it if it was an incall position only (i.e, people calling you for help, questions, etc, not you calling people to sell them useless junk or services.) The money is really good as I understand it, and since you're given a script it's not overly difficult work.

Still, I'd hate to deal with all the people who think it's your fault for something being wrong or needing fixing. It's like at my work, everybody complains about the prices and I tell them "I just work here." They ask for a manager, and again they just work there. It's not our fault that the prices are high, it's the company and I feel that we shouldn't have to put up with it.
BigGeek
You want to hear the funniest thing going. I've worked 2 call center jobs as a telemarketer, selling magazine subscriptions, and selling extended warranties for Sears, plus I've worked on a help desk fixing PCs for customers that call in.

NOW, I'm now sitting at home and cold calling people for my own home Multi-Level Marketing business, and finding interested people and sending them to a presentation and closing those that want to buy.

Here I am almost 20 years later after I worked cold calling folks selling them extended warranties, and I'm doing the same thing, just my own business.

The other thing I gotta tell you though, is that it is so worth it, I earn $100.00 USD per sale, so it can be very profitable when I get a sale, or two, plus the more calls I make and the more people I talk to the more I earn.

I never thought I would go back to cold calling people, but doing it form myself with the capacity to earn incredible money has been one cool setup.
tukun2009manit
agulto wrote:

no way its waste of time its not good for any future also call center sucks it should be replaced with machines but technology laggs behind but in future this is going to happen some of the field have been replaced by bot
vimin15
I think being a call center agent is a good profession, besides Filipinos are fluent in English speaking. another thing there are lots of arising call center Philippines
menino
I think call center jobs are not bad, especially for college students, and to get and entry into the working world.
It may be painful at times, but its still an experience.

It may not be for everyone, but for people looking to start something, and make money initially, its a good idea.
zacky
agulto wrote:

Well in my case of course..i worked before in call center company so basically i have a broad knowledge in call center industry.. i worked there as a technical support or TSR.. i found out that even they pay you a large amount of salary and other stuff like compensation and benefits, it will be take for granted coz it happens on night shifts...(in my case).... why did i say that, because all the medicals you need to support your health will goes to it... so i decided that if the salary is not that big, i will not go for it.. not unless i badly need to have a job..
Bluedoll
Call center jobs really vary and it depends so much on the people that work there. If it is an incoming call center what has gone on in the past will effect what happens in the future. So if there has been a lot of 'attitude' that will most likely will be what you will get on the phones. On the other hand a well managed group will reflect some customer appeal. - just an observation!
samwalker
Well, being a call center agent in call centers philippines requires a lot of patience and understanding. I believe it is a job for someone who can keep his calm-center, and be cool while relating to clients the business they offer. There are advantages for such jobs, but there could also be a lot of stress.
thea00
I think it was great to be one of the member of business process outsourcing philippines. This may actually enhance the communication skills of the individuals. On the other hand, it is more advisable to entered this job when you the course who have taken is related to the BPO or call center industry.
Plaintiff
My opinion about a callcenter is that the earning well is, but the job itself, calling people about advertisements is really annoying!
Ankhanu
agulto wrote:

I've had to take one for much less than 3x the pay of a regular 9-5 day job.
When there aren't other jobs available, ya take what you have to.

Call centre work is some of the worst work I've ever had to deal with... in fact, it might rank #1. I was so miserable doing it, I was physically ill every single shift. I was fine when I wasn't at work, but being there made me sick to my stomach. I don't understand how people manage to do this work for years on end.
thea00
Call center job is I think the most indemand work that Filipinos are having now. I think being a call center agent bpo services philippines is great pleasure. You actually communicate with other people and giving the right services that they will be needing. So why not try to have an experience on being a call center agent.
nicolecarter
There were plenty of all center jobs in the Philippines. I think this job is great. It requires an understanding to the costumers. It also need a good communication skills when interacting with foreign costumers.
Abhishukla
Well Call center is one kind of job from which we earn our livelihood.So there are many things which you can consider in this whether call centers are outsourcing your talent,cheap labour to there country for which they are made for.

But it is the fact that in the present day situation call centers are offering many job vacancies .
hersandal
Cool center jobs ain't really call. or should I say Call center jobs ain't really cool. I've been working into a lot of big call center company and being a pioneer in our local area working like that. It is only cool/great when you can get your first job offer working in a call center where you never have callcenter experience before. Salaries great, you can make OT's so you can buy that gadget you've been wanting on the end of the month. Eat in a very sosy place, for some I even notice that for them to make their self IN into a call center world, they smoke even if they don't do that before. just for them to look IN as a call center, hahhahahaha I just laugh these kind of people, they are so young they don't know life yet. But anyway if you want to enjoy you got to enjoy. So for me, Call center jobs is not really for long term work. So save up your money, and make yourself productive and a well equip employee so that later on, when you company doesn't need you anymore, you can always easily find a new job for yourself and for you family. thank you.
rjraaz
call centers job is just not telemarketing job if some one is having technical experiences they hold good post there.

but i dont like to prefer it as a full time job, it just for part time to get earn extra income

and some times targeted sales job i hate.
ChrisCh
I personally would *hate* the idea of working in a call centre - no offence to anyone who does this as a form of income, but I would just get tired of talking to strangers all day long (where it's not like a customer at a shop, where you serve them quickly and they're on their way - but instead you end up talking to them for 20 minutes in some cases)... I would get tired of it very quickly! Smile
debjitbiswas
Thanks for that it helps me to get jobs in a call center.
crimson_aria
I personally wouldn't want to work in a call center. It's not the career I'm passionate about.