FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Use a .hta file as GUI for script or IEobj

Use a .hta file as GUI for script or IEobj
hta
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
InternetExplorer.Application
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

Marcuzzo
I all,
I've got a dilemma.
I'm working on a script for work and I'm kind of at a turning point where I need to decide wether to use a .hta file as a GUI or create an instance of the "InternetExplorer.Application".

I work with SecureCRT and this one has its own Scripting host that supports js/vbs and perl so a I can make my life easier by automating tasks with Javascript.
untill last year these were simple scripts that would simply execute commands and write the output to a text file. nowadays I write a GUI to get the input for the script instead of using the clipboard.

at this point I am comfortable with both javascript and html/hta but I simply can't make up my mind on this one.
they both have there pro's and con's

with the hta I can do stuff like "myfile.hta?go=ok&name=marco" and write the page out dynamicaly like lets say php.
but I would have 2 or more files (1 hta file, 1 javascript file to execute the commands and get info from SecureCRT and a sleep.js since there is no WScript.sleep in hta)

with IEobj I would have to return feedback to the main Script, close the IEobj, process the request and relaunch a new instance of te IEobj to display the output.
sending arguments over the window.location is not possible because there is no filename (everything is created at runtime)
yet, only 1 javascript file taking care of the GUI and the SecureCRT actions.

either way, there is no issue in security stuff... I can perfevtly access the Scripting.FileSystemObject from the .js as I can with the .hta

I was thinking of writing them both and see what works best, but that would be a total waste of time as they would need to be written in a different way.

cheers