FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I keep getting all these emails for random things...

SpellcasterDX
As the topic says, I keep getting a lot of emails about 'male enhancement', 'free (you know what) videos', 'free stuff' etc. etc.

Does anyone know how I can stop this?

I've thought about using SpamAssassin, but what if that blocks real emails?
cr3ativ3
What service are you using hotmail/live, gmail, ISP, frihost?

I know with my ISP email address gets ton of that and I never signup for stuff with that address....so I think my ISP is selling me out.

On the other hand I use gmail mainly and I never get spam maybe a couple a week but they end up in my spam bin...and I signup for everything with that.

Hotmail/Live I wouldnt know (never used it).

If you are getting it from your frihost email, and you post your email address on your website. I would make sure any mailto links you have are a more complicated then that...so that bots cant just scan your page source for your email address.

Maybe use an image instead of plain text.
SpellcasterDX
This is on frihost. I forgot to mention, though I though it'd be implied if I posted for help on here. lol.

I don't believe my webmaster email addy appears anywhere on my website.
cr3ativ3
hmm

maybe frihost is selling you out o.0

jk.

Umm whats the email? webmaster@domain.frih.tld

cause that would be pretty easy for a spam organization to find without it being on a site.
SpellcasterDX
well yea, it is, but I didn't used to have this problem. It started around September of last year.
mOrpheuS
SpellcasterDX wrote:
I don't believe my webmaster email addy appears anywhere on my website.

Do you have a catch-all email account ?

If yes, you should take a look at the mail headers of such spam emails and determine if it is being sent to random addresses or to a particular address.

The fact your email address doesn't appear publicly anywhere doesn't save you from catch-all spam (spam sent to <random-address>@yourdomain.com)
SpellcasterDX
No, I don't think so. I just have 2 e-mail accounts setup. One is the default one, and one is the webmaster one.

All emails in question are being sent to the webmaster@mysubdomain.frih.net account.
My spellcas email isn't getting any of the spam.

Also, a couple of emails seem to have come from my own email address (webmaster@mysubdomain.frih.net), although I deleted those.

All the rest come from random websites. (Particularly French ones lately...)
cr3ativ3
SpellcasterDX wrote:
No, I don't think so. I just have 2 e-mail accounts setup. One is the default one, and one is the webmaster one.

All emails in question are being sent to the webmaster@mysubdomain.frih.net account.
My spellcas email isn't getting any of the spam.

Also, a couple of emails seem to have come from my own email address (webmaster@mysubdomain.frih.net), although I deleted those.

All the rest come from random websites. (Particularly French ones lately...)

Well the thing is most websites/servers (from what I know), have the email address webmaster@domain.tld, so because you setup your email address as webmaster@....your getting spam. I am willing to bet 100 frih$ that if you change you email from webmaster to masteroftheweb@domain.tld, or anything really other then webmaster. That you will stop recieving the spam messages.

SpellcasterDX wrote:

It's quite easy to forge a "From:" header, actually the majority of site software like phpBB and Wordpress send emails from a forged email address. Typically (no-reply@domain.tld), its all part of a lovely function in php called mail().

Hope this helps..Just change the webmaster@domain.tld to something totally different and watch the spam wither away.

Very Happy
SpellcasterDX
Well I enabled spam assassin, and it seems to be working like a charm. Smile

And I know about forging the e-mail. lol. I just wonder how they know what comes after the '@' part.
cr3ativ3
SpellcasterDX wrote:
And I know about forging the e-mail. lol. I just wonder how they know what comes after the '@' part.

Well they would notice that your site URL (after the @) exists so they will start sending spam out to emails on that domain. Starting with webmaster Shocked
SpellcasterDX
Well like I said I enabled SpamAssassin and everything's fine now. SA is catching all of those spam emails so it's all good now.
vineeth
The best way to combat spam is to allow GMail to manage your CPanel email. Google has almost 99.98% accuracy in finding and managing spam messages. It is easy to set up also. You will get POP and SMTP access along with regular web interface.
cr3ativ3
vineeth wrote:
The best way to combat spam is to allow GMail to manage your CPanel email. Google has almost 99.98% accuracy in finding and managing spam messages. It is easy to set up also. You will get POP and SMTP access along with regular web interface.

Seriously its that good? Can you link me to source or article describing this?
Kashinilaya
vineeth wrote:

I tried that and set my e-mail browser to read the e-mails from Gmail. Gmail was filtering the spam sent directly to my Gmail account, but was allowing all the spam that came from my e-mail accounts in Frihost to pass through.
I decided then to create different accounts in my e-mail browser, one for each mail account. Those from Frihost keep coming with spam.
I set SpamAssassin for each mail account, but it doesn't seem to be working.
Don't know what else to do...
mathiaus
Quote:
set my e-mail browser to read the e-mails from Gmail

Are you checking the mail from within gmail? If not, try that and you should then see a lot of messages in spam instead!
Bondings
cr3ativ3 wrote:
vineeth wrote:

Seriously its that good? Can you link me to source or article describing this?

It's not that good, but for my gmail accounts it is pretty accurate and only very rarely spam comes through. Although I did have some false positives, so you do need to check the spam from time to time.

And about the actual spam, once they get hold of your email address, I guess the spammers share/trade it and suddenly you start getting tens (or hundreds if you are very unlucky) of spam emails a day.
Kashinilaya
mathiaus wrote:
Quote:
set my e-mail browser to read the e-mails from Gmail

Are you checking the mail from within gmail? If not, try that and you should then see a lot of messages in spam instead!

I didn't understand what you said...

If you mean to check the e-mails by logging in Gmail (through an internet browser), instead of using my mail browser (like Apple's Mail), I was doing that, but was still getting spam in my gmail inbox (at that time I did not set SpamAssassin).

I think it's just impossible to filter all spam. I mean, it may be working, but at a low rate... much below 100%.