FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Obama orders review of Bush's signing statements

handfleisch
Awesome. In yet another striking move of change, Obama starts to discard the ugly undemocratic "signing statement" abuse of Bush.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-signing-statements10-2009mar10,0,357503.story
Quote:
Obama orders review of Bush's signing statements
Officials must consult the Justice Department before enforcing them. Obama also says he will limit his own use of such statements.
By Frank James
March 10, 2009
Reporting from Washington -- In another effort to undo acts by the previous administration, President Obama instructed executive branch officials Monday to check with the Justice Department before enforcing former President George W. Bush's signing statements, the written assertions presidents sometimes make when signing bills that may raise constitutional questions.
deanhills
Another misleading quote Handfleisch and distortion of fact. Obama ordered a review of Bush's guidelines for implementing legislation passed by Congress, not a review of the signing statements that Bush has made in the past.

If you further read the article Obama instructed Government officials to check with the Attorney General for guidance. Not with Obama. Obama is providing COMMON SENSE guidelines to Government officials for the actual following of Bush's statements, which could be abused upon their interpretation by the Government officials.

Perhaps this is also a very public and official way for Obama to say that he will not be interpreting any of Bush's statements and will be dealing with implementation of legislation passed under Obama differently.
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
Another misleading quote Handfleisch and distortion of fact. Obama ordered a review of Bush's guidelines for implementing legislation passed by Congress, not a review of the signing statements that Bush has made in the past.

Calling Bikerman, what was that reply to DH? Oh, right:
Bikerman wrote:
I'm sorry but I believe you are talking nonsense.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=860008
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Bikerman wrote:

Well looks as though you have just published an opinion without verification or permission from the author.

Don't you have any opinions of your own? Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Bikerman wrote:

Make your own comments: don't try to transplant old criticism into a new context.
redslazers
what a pointless thread about posting another authors stuff with out their permission. I would say by posting on the internet you are basically signing a document saying anyone can use your stuff Very Happy
deanhills
redslazers wrote:
what a pointless thread about posting another authors stuff with out their permission. I would say by posting on the internet you are basically signing a document saying anyone can use your stuff Very Happy
I think you got the wrong end of it redslazers, but it made it more hilarious anyway. Like a Tower of Babel of Opinions ... Laughing
ocalhoun
redslazers wrote:

Actually, you're not, and unless the website's TOS says otherwise, you own the copyright to whatever you type. That's not the point though. The problem is taking things out of contest so as to make it appear like someone is saying something they're not.