FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Short Story Contest





truespeed
My suggestion is that an admin,or moderator,oversee a bi-monthly short story contest. Which can be themed or have a opening lines beginning.

Why does a admin or moderator need to do this?

They have access to unlimited frih,yes i know frih have no real value,but it gives those who enter an incentive,plus they may get extra use out of the frih in the marketplace.

I suggest a strict 2 month opening and closing date,all entries sent by pm to the chosen mod/admin,or email if he leaves one.

I would suggest waiting till all entries are in and then appointing 3 reviewers (Or 2 if he wants to review himself) ,to read and say in order, which they prefer and why.

Prizes for 1st ,2nd and 3rd.

Publish all stories on the forums,with the accompanying reviews.
deanhills
Just to thank Truespeed for his time and effort in running the short story contest. There were some excellent contributions to the contest and it was truly generous of Truespeed to offer his Frih$ for the prizes.

Perhaps Bondings could consider making Truespeed a Moderator with brief to run creative writing and design contests? This could include a different creative writing and design contests every two months, i.e. so that would give a variety of people a chance to compete:

Poetry
Webpage
Short Story
Advertisement
Logo
Banner
Etc.
Creative photography

Truespeed is very creative in writing and design. For example, I liked his contest for designing grave stones. That was really fun and I can imagine there are many other creative possibilities too for having fun.
rvec
just pm a mod/admin next time and he can make a topic in the staff forum once the contest is created. Maybe some mod could add some frih$ to the price or something... Cool
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:


Truespeed is very creative in writing and design. For example, I liked his contest for designing grave stones. That was really fun and I can imagine there are many other creative possibilities too for having fun.

Very good idea... I think people get tired with one kind of contest over and over (eventually you end up with just a handful of hardcore competitors who do it every time, and nobody else participates)... how about a completely different contest every month or two months?
They could be put in the featured discussions, and the poll to decide the winner of each one could be put into the starting post of the next one. (So you'd only have one thread per contest)

You could edit an image one time, then write a (very short for the sake of the voters) story the next time, then make a gravestone the next, then a joke, then whatever...

Once it got going, each contest thread's first post would have three sections:
1- Winner(s) of the contest from 2 times back
2- Poll choices to decide the winner of the previous contest
3- Description of new contest

Then, the replies would be questions about it or entries for the new contest.

Oh, and I just thought of something that might make a very good part of the grand prize: The winner gets input into the theme and type for the next contest!
deanhills
Thanks Ocalhoun. Just remembered that your interests are much wider than any of ours put together and quite a large percentage is in creative forums. I like your ideas. Would be great if they can be implemented.
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
Just to thank Truespeed for his time and effort in running the short story contest. There were some excellent contributions to the contest and it was truly generous of Truespeed to offer his Frih$ for the prizes.

Perhaps Bondings could consider making Truespeed a Moderator with brief to run creative writing and design contests? This could include a different creative writing and design contests every two months, i.e. so that would give a variety of people a chance to compete:

Poetry
Webpage
Short Story
Advertisement
Logo
Banner
Etc.
Creative photography

Truespeed is very creative in writing and design. For example, I liked his contest for designing grave stones. That was really fun and I can imagine there are many other creative possibilities too for having fun.


First of all i don't want to be a moderator,however i do think Dean has a good idea,i think there should be one moderator,whose sole responsibility,is to organize official contests,because they have access to unlimited frih,and can post instant "featured discussions" announcing the contests, (I had to wait over 2 weeks,and it took me posting in frihost support to get my featured discussion post noticed) .

So why not have a moderator who does this? If none of the current crop have the time,then appoint one specifically for this task.
rvec
moderators can't make featured discussions, an admin has to do this. And as I already said you can just pm me or any other mod/admin if you want frih$ for a contest, we'll hand out the prices if the rest of the staff agrees (might not be the case with a guess the image contest where an image gets guessed daily).
I just don't see how a mod would add something here.
truespeed
rvec wrote:
moderators can't make featured discussions, an admin has to do this. And as I already said you can just pm me or any other mod/admin if you want frih$ for a contest, we'll hand out the prices if the rest of the staff agrees (might not be the case with a guess the image contest where an image gets guessed daily).
I just don't see how a mod would add something here.


Contests are good for the forum,they bring people who join in the contests back to the forum,more often than perhaps they would,therefore from a frihost point of view,it would/should be a good idea to run as many and varied contests as possible.

Now if i as a member were take it upon myself to run a few contests,i have to go through you,who has to go through an admin,to get the thing up and running. Which includes getting it made into a featured discussion,and getting the frih to run it.

If an admin took it upon himself to set up a contest,all he has to do make the post outlining the details of the contest,make a featured discussion. And bobs your uncle.

If a moderator took it upon himself to run a few contests,all he has to do is make the post,leave a note in the staff forum to make it a featured discussion,and again bob is an uncle.


As a member, its hard work running a contest on here,(2 weeks to have a post featured is a long time) but if you take out the middlemen, things get done.
ocalhoun
rvec wrote:
moderators can't make featured discussions, an admin has to do this. And as I already said you can just pm me or any other mod/admin if you want frih$ for a contest, we'll hand out the prices if the rest of the staff agrees (might not be the case with a guess the image contest where an image gets guessed daily).
I just don't see how a mod would add something here.

Perhaps a special rank just for contest admin? That(ose) specific person(s) could be given mod powers in the contest forum only. Once per contest, they would have to ask to get the featured discussions updated with the new contest thread.

As for needing a mod's unlimited frih$, there are many users who have a practically unlimited supply, and frih$ isn't that great a prize anyway.
Simple recognition, and things like influence about what the next contest will be are much more enticing prizes. Perhaps there could also be an ultimate grand prize that a person can win after getting 1st place in 10 contests or something. (Such as a domain name or a gift card or something else with real value.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Simple recognition, and things like influence about what the next contest will be are much more enticing prizes. Perhaps there could also be an ultimate grand prize that a person can win after getting 1st place in 10 contests or something. (Such as a domain name or a gift card or something else with real value.)

Agreed, and the higher the value perhaps the higher the stakes. You're good with words, I like the your style of cutting to the chase in your writing. Perhaps (provided you have time for this and feel up to it) you can take your posting from this thread as is and combine with some of Truespeed's, especially the one with all the layers of permissions he had to work through? Or alternatively I or Truespeed could PM something rough to you for editing and a PM to Bondings? You have two Frihosters who are supporting you. Do you think we need more Frihosters to support the proposal? Don't know how we will find a person to be a Moderator/Contest Administrator, maybe we could ask the prizewinners and those Frihosters who posted in the Short Story thread whether they would be interested to get involved? Idea
rvec
why not just make a contest, then pm an admin/mod that you created it(to make it a featureed discussion and ask him if the prices are good) and when you have a winner pm a mod/admin how much the user won(and he'll edit the user's cash).

That will certainly work, and asking Bondings to make a new rank which might screw up some other things will at least take a lot longer.
ocalhoun
rvec wrote:
make a new rank which might screw up some other things will at least take a lot longer.

What would it screw up?

Ah, it's not important anyway...
What would be nice is to have a team of people officially in charge of the contests though.

*thinks of making a contest-leader-team sign-up thread*
Now, which forum to put it in...
*edit*
*made the thread*
Frihost contests: suggestions & admin sign-up
deanhills
OK, Arnold seems to have started something good, and there is now a new thread at:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104637.html#871567

it already has a subject for the writing contest with a deadline etc.

Almost like a tower of Babel of threads on the Contests Shocked Smile Wonder whether we could get them all together under one roof Idea
deanhills
rvec wrote:
why not just make a contest, then pm an admin/mod that you created it(to make it a featureed discussion and ask him if the prices are good) and when you have a winner pm a mod/admin how much the user won(and he'll edit the user's cash).


Rvec, we are currently working on your proposal, in the "Chat Forum":

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104591.html#872040

Can you give us your comments (you may have specific insights that we cannot see) as well as the prize money part of it following your above suggestion. Thanks.
Related topics
a nice story that can get you thinking... read to find out
Short Stories
Suggest featured discussions
Bah. Close please.
Short Stories in Spanish - Cuentos en español
Short Story Films
OFFICIAL : First Ever Frihost Writing Contest !
Short Story Competition "Love"
Frihost contests: suggestions & admin sign-up
Short Story Competition - April 2009
Advertise on my Signature Space (FREE)
anyone writes short story here?
100 word story contest, [Closed, winner declared]
Short Story Part 1
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.