FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for Linux Software (Freeware).

ProfessorY91
I don't know how many hits I'm going to get on this thread, but its worth a shot.

I recently switched to the latest version of Ubuntu (Ver. 8.10), and I find it spectacular. Its fast, the programs are free, you can program in C and Java with little to no hassle, and drivers are (almost always) easily updated. Compatibility is always a bit of an issue (darn printer!), but its well worth it.

Anyways, there are always some freeware programs that people find extremely useful, that can be found only through years of trawling the internet, and quite a bit of luck. We all build our own lists, and use different things. If you hae a useful program, be it Media Player, or Internet Browser, or anything, please post it (as well as what it is used for) below. Its a chance to pass on your treasure trove of hard sought-after programs to the next generation of newbies.

Thanks in advance.

Programs I have: (pitifully few)

Amarock - Media player, music organizer, and iTunes lookalike for Ubuntu.
Compiz - Beautiful graphical effects as well as support for virtual desktops. Makes Linux worthwhile.
Deluge - Torrenting, nuff said.
Open Office - Word Processing, etc. The whole MS Office Suite for free.
Opera - Because its just that good; and it WAS the fastest before Google Chrome.

-Y
coreymanshack
Komodo-Edit It's a really good text editor and I configured it to look nearly like notepad++ highlighting. I just love the way notepad++ highlights Razz
harismushtaq
You said it is easy to do programming in C and JAVA. So what IDE do you use. I installed codeblocks and it is easy to use, stable and fast. If you know of a better IDE, please suggest.

By the way, KUbuntu is much more beautiful then Ubuntu with its KDE desktop.
coreymanshack
harismushtaq wrote:
You said it is easy to do programming in C and JAVA. So what IDE do you use. I installed codeblocks and it is easy to use, stable and fast. If you know of a better IDE, please suggest.

By the way, KUbuntu is much more beautiful then Ubuntu with its KDE desktop.

I use netbeans, and kubuntu Razz
Beauty wasn't a matter for me, functionality was, with my monitor set up it gnome would lock up.
Agent ME
Looking for freeware ... on linux? Blasphemy!

Sarcasm aside, I've been using Exaile for music. I used to use Amarok, but it doesn't support the multimedia hotkeys in gnome without a helper script loaded into it, except the last time I set up my system I could not find the gnome hotkey script anywhere in its online script database, so I ditched it. Exaile seems to be the only other music player with on-screen display when the song changes, so I went to that.

Also, if you use Deluge, make sure you have the latest version by setting up its software package repository - http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Download. The version that's on the regular ubuntu repository is completely ancient last I checked.
babygeek
try zim (desktop wiki which can be used as tabbed notebook)
freemind (mind mapping)
pidgin (IM)
coreymanshack
You can also use the command
sudo apt-cache search typeofprogramname

and it will come up with a huge list of all freeware stuff.
[FuN]goku
coreymanshack wrote:

If i'm not mistaken, apt is only for debian-based systems (though i think you might be able to get it on others with a bit of work)

Instead of deluge, some of you might be interested in TorrentFlux. Requires a bit of extra work to set it up, but it's supposed to be pretty neat.
coreymanshack
[FuN]goku wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

If i'm not mistaken, apt is only for debian-based systems (though i think you might be able to get it on others with a bit of work)

Instead of deluge, some of you might be interested in TorrentFlux. Requires a bit of extra work to set it up, but it's supposed to be pretty neat.

ubuntu is debian based and the thread starter was talking about ubuntu
[FuN]goku
coreymanshack wrote:
Yes, i realise that Razz , was just adding that in there since the thread's topic just said linux and not ubuntu ^^,
coreymanshack
[FuN]goku wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Yes, i realise that Razz , was just adding that in there since the thread's topic just said linux and not ubuntu ^^,

Oh okay, we're cool... maybe he should change his topic name.
microkosm
Well if you're thinking of freeware then you're thinking in terms of MS software. Most linux software is open source (and free as in beer).

You might find the following page interesting http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives.
It lists common alternatives to mainstream windows software.

Personally, I like lightweight software and minimalism. If you want to become a linux power user become familiar with a command line interface. Check out Terminal in Gnome (ubuntu) or Konsole in KDE (kubuntu). These are preinstalled so you can simply explore their capabilities.
coreymanshack
microkosm wrote:
Well if you're thinking of freeware then you're thinking in terms of MS software. Most linux software is open source (and free as in beer).

You might find the following page interesting http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives.
It lists common alternatives to mainstream windows software.

Personally, I like lightweight software and minimalism. If you want to become a linux power user become familiar with a command line interface. Check out Terminal in Gnome (ubuntu) or Konsole in KDE (kubuntu). These are preinstalled so you can simply explore their capabilities.

To find out more about a cmd line function... use "man"

man apt-get
silverdown
OpenSuse is a free linux software and easy to install!
Agent ME
silverdown wrote:
OpenSuse is a free linux software and easy to install!

OpenSuse is an entire Linux distro, not just a little program.