FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is this hosting allowed to upload music?

albert
I mean the .mp3 and .midi's files
thanks Smile
Maka
If you own the copyright to them then yes if not then no unless you have permission. Cool
Bondings
albert wrote:
I mean the .mp3 and .midi's files
thanks Smile

If you really want to upload music files, please upload a legal.txt file in every directory with music files, where you explain that those files are legal and that you have the full copyright.
meangurl
are streaming media possible?
Bondings
Yes, but always include a legal.txt in every directory to explain that you have the full copyright. If you don't include that file, your account might be removed, even if the files are legal.
ldnet
k when you say that we need to have a legal txt file, is it ok if we have the cd's, like i buy alot of my music from stores and can i upload those songs, since i bought them?
Bondings
ldnet wrote:
k when you say that we need to have a legal txt file, is it ok if we have the cd's, like i buy alot of my music from stores and can i upload those songs, since i bought them?

Nooooooooooooooooooo !

It's not because you bought a cd, that you may put it on the internet. You need to be a part of the band or a friend of them or you got the written permission from the owner/singer.

Downloading commercial music files from a peer-to-peer network or from a website is strictly illegal.
n0obie4life
the best is, not to put it.
Maka
Oh no *frihost turns into an mp3 share host* Mad . Seriously if you need to send someone a song use a real file share program like yousendit and rapidshare. Designed for sending big files.
Bondings
There are some bands who want to make a website and show off their music. That's why we do allow music, but if there is too much abuse, we won't allow mp3 files anymore.
gonzo
ldnet wrote:

Actually the answer is more complicated than Bonding's reply. As long as the mp3s are accessible ONLY TO YOU then it falls within fair use so long as you are also NOT using the original CD somewhere else (which would include loading the CD to your sister, while you listened to streaming MP3s on your hosting account)

You could accomplish this by enabling basic auth on the directory in which your files are stored. So in case I wasn't perfectly clear it would NOT be ok to share the url of your hosted MP3s with anyone because if more than one person was listening to the posted music at any one time then you would be in violation of copyright law.

If RIAA/MPAA had their way ultimately you'd be wasting your money on a CD that you could play once from one device and then you'd have to buy another one. Large scale P2P music piracy is just the pendulum swinging the other way.

Draconian Rights Mangling is going to cause an even bigger backlash.
foggy
Gonzo, your reply may be correct from a legal standpoint, but the server belongs to Bondings, so he has the ultimate authority over what you are able to place in your account. I'd imagine your hosting would be terminated if you defy him, even if what you are doing it perfectly, without a doubt legal (which is not the case for backing up music; I was just giving an example)

My final advice: Do what bondings has said until you hear otherwise from him, in which case it would still be what he said.
Helios
I also wanted to upload music and make a music portal, but I do not have the copyright(im not from the band =( ) and the songs will take giga bytes!

So ive just made a portal! xD
www.novab.frihost.net/nuke

Hmm, my question about this topic:

Can I upload the songs to, lets say.. RapidShare and put the links on my website?
That way the mp3 will not be hosted here =)
Can I do that?
Bondings
You are not permitted to link to illegal files according to the law.
Helios
ic.

I have another idea!

May I create a little player that will play the music? users wont see the link and there will be music at the portal!

How about that?
foggy
That would NOT be ok if the music isn't legal.
mathiaus
some peopkle have this with radiobblogclub which is good but very easy to access the music for download