FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kafka

naz
One of my beloved authors.
i think his books are just awsome and very deep minded.
I have a his books in german in their original edition.
At the time I'm ready "Das Schloß" for the second time and I'm just fascinated again...

Anyone of you read Kafka or would like to have infos about him ?
friscofrankie
Kafka; read some of his works. I do not read, understand or speak german so have had to suffer through the english translations. When reading a translated tome I find it is always as much the translators wrting style as it is the original author's storytelling that make the book.
Sadly, while i found the story being told interesting the manner in which is was translated sufferd from a lack of prose.
I found it difficult to enjoy the reading. Perhaps you could recommend some translations that a true writer has translated?
pm22
I tried "the Castle" when I was about 15. Couldn't even understand what's
going on. After spending 6+ years away from home, living an independent
life, one starts to realize what the message is. Too bad, the upcoming
generations read some toilet detective stories (mostly) rather than the
masterpieces.

By the way, what do you think about The Metamorphosis. Was it just
his dream. I had a few like that too, well maybe not that real Smile
52tease
I've always enjoyed reading Kafka, but it is certainly a lot of work. He seems so emotionless at times (much like Sartre or Camus) that you wonder if he is just a robot in human's clothing.

I have read some of his short stuff, including The Metamorphosis of course.

The Trial was an especially difficult read because he does such a good job of putting you in the mindset of the main character:
disheveled, confused, caught up in the system.

If you are looking for more information on Kafka, you could always check out his wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Kafka
Nikolus
I always think of the Woody Allen quote from Annie Hall:

"Sex with you really is a Kafka-esque experience. I mean that as a compliment."
johanfh
pm22 wrote:

By the way, what do you think about The Metamorphosis/Die Verwandlung. Was it just

I have read some books from Kafka too. About 'the Metamorphosis': I don't think it was a dream. I think in the book it really happens to him. But I think Kafka writes it because he wants to point out the saddness of life of some people. Some people really feel like being just a bug. Some day they wake up and they find out: who am I? I'm nothing. Just a bug.

Translated in English you get also a little word-play: they are an error, a bug Smile
Thats what happens with the person in the book I think. But Kafka makes it bigger by really changing the guy into a beetle.

What is your opinion?

JohanFH
Camel
Heh, a good writer Smile
I've readed The trial (it's school lecture in Poland), and I must say - it's quite difficult book.
World in this book remind some of yers in PRL in Poland...
Just like in Orwell's "Year 1984" - similar with communism reality (with those panels, and dep. of Justice... Cool )
EtherealDesert
It's horrible actually. All of his works are dreadful experiences nailed with his poisoned pen. I can't really recommend him to anyone who want's to have a good time. If you on the other hand read to widen your world perception, then you'll have a blast. Suffering and degradation in abundance (not exactly like Dosto. but still enough to make you cry) Razz
naz
friscofrankie wrote:
Kafka; read some of his works. I do not read, understand or speak german so have had to suffer through the english translations. When reading a translated tome I find it is always as much the translators wrting style as it is the original author's storytelling that make the book.
Sadly, while i found the story being told interesting the manner in which is was translated sufferd from a lack of prose.
I found it difficult to enjoy the reading. Perhaps you could recommend some translations that a true writer has translated?

unfortunatly I don't know any translations ,because I read only the originals ,as I speak German fluently. But I can imagine how bad it is not to be able to read the original words from Kafka

Quote:
I tried "the Castle" when I was about 15. Couldn't even understand what's
going on. After spending 6+ years away from home, living an independent
life, one starts to realize what the message is. Too bad, the upcoming
generations read some toilet detective stories (mostly) rather than the
masterpieces.

By the way, what do you think about The Metamorphosis. Was it just

No I don't thinks this was just a dream ,I think he realy lived it. I was fascinated by the fact that Samsa, the main person if i'm not wrong, never complaind about his situation really but just got it as it is....weird.

Quote:
t's horrible actually. All of his works are dreadful experiences nailed with his poisoned pen. I can't really recommend him to anyone who want's to have a good time. If you on the other hand read to widen your world perception, then you'll have a blast. Suffering and degradation in abundance (not exactly like Dosto. but still enough to make you cry)

I agree with you completely. Wink
nicusia
"Die Verwandlung" is at part his biography. He had very bad relationship with his father..
Shocked
IceCameron
I havent read anything yet but am planning on reading The Trial, I heard it was intresting. I fear it might be a little heavy for me at thirteen but im gonna give it a shot.
hades9366
I think Kafka is of the school that believes art isn't necessarily meant to be beautiful but should teach us something about the world or ourselves. Sometimes we have to suffer for art if that is what it takes to make us learn.

Kafka certainly suffered for his art and that is reflected in his work.

Those who do not read are no better than those who cannot.

Chinese proverb
erotic_city
hes my favourite, i read his books all the time. i live in his world. if you already haven't you must visit prague and go see his houses etc. you really feel inside his stories there.
naz
erotic_city wrote:
hes my favourite, i read his books all the time. i live in his world. if you already haven't you must visit prague and go see his houses etc. you really feel inside his stories there.

Can you tell us some stories about that ?!
erotic_city
well, I'm afraid it was a few years ago now when I was last there. I just remember being at the palace up on the hill, and from there walking down this huge old staircase which leads into the old town. I remember coming to this quaint little shop which only sold kafka books and learning that it was once the house he bought with his sister Olga. At the time I was reading the castle, so the story was fresh in my mind. Wondering around in the old town, deep in snow, just exploring alone, finding a nice warm coffee house to sit for a while and looking at out at all the seemingly lost people, and then looking up and seeing the palace. Ofcourse it made me feel a bit like K.
indeedwrestling
For those who want to experience Kafka in another realm, think about checking out the Home Movies episode from Season 2 where they do a musical based on Metamorphsis. It's hysterical. I think parts of it can be downloaded at brendonsmall.com
naz
Ah "the castle"... was my first time wit kafka Wink