FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to attract first members to the forum

Crinoid
This should belong to Webmaster forum, only there no subforum for such things about people, only design and search engines.

I'm thinking about creating a new, general forum, phpBB based analog of GardenWeb: everything about house, garden, small spaces, DIY. I know, that there are many similar forums, let say - one more will not hurt, and maybe different kind of people finds own place there.

I know how install phpBB, but have no idea, how attract first potential members to participate and post on forum with no members.

Maybe you read something about that, or know from own experience.
truespeed
If the forum is going to be the whole website then it may be very difficult,however, if you have a site with lots of content,and you add a forum,where that content can be discussed,then,maybe in time the forum will take off.
Crinoid
The first kind: forum as a main feature, more problem solving approach and information exchange with people that belong to the same subculture and economical class or have similar interests, at least within the one thread. Other levels of possibilities and kinds of problems may have different threads.

Not for discussing the content of website for sure, because I have to maintain this website and I, personally, am so not interested in discussing content of any website, that would leave such website as soon as possible. Big red flag for me. Different areas of interests, I guess. No offense Cool
Zombie
This is a great way to attract your first visitors... Go to answers.yahoo.com then find a gardening question. Google the answer, or come up with it yourself. Then post the question and answer in your forum. Finally, post an answer to the original question at answers.yahoo.com, and in your answer say "I found the answer here yoursite.com/forum/topicnumber". This is great because it is an instant visitor as well as more visitors in the future when other users find the question at answers.yahoo.com... yahoo answers have high google ranks, and the incoming links are high quality.
snowynight
As long as your forum is gr8.
That's all.
Crinoid
Zombie: Thanks, I didn't know that forums permit references to other, competitive forums.
snowynight: What is gr8?
redslazers
gr8 = great
ninjakannon
An even more valid question is: what is great?

If I argue that a forum cannot be great without members, then snowynight's suggestion becomes impossible.

Crinoid, the first thing I would do would be to invite family members and friends. If you know people who are into gardening, DIY and that kind of thing then get them to post. You need content, which will come in the form of posts.

I'm going to make an assumption. This is that the majority of people find forums through search engines and friends. Obviously, people need to then have found the forum on search engines before they invite their friends. So you need topics that ask, answer and discuss a range of problems. If you have to make these up yourself, go for it. This is why it's easier to have a forum on a website that also has content, rather than simply have a forum.
Roald
Just make sure that meta tags contain useful data so search engines can find your site, also ask your friends to join your forum so that you have more members. Also advertise (make posts with a link pointing to your forum if that is permitted) on forums where the people you want to read your forum come.
CosmicDisturbance
What I think would would work is if we had lots of interesting and a variety of topics, AND if they were very popular and had lots of posts, they would come up on google or wherever people were looking. Probably not, though.
Vladalf
Post guides about gardening at www.instructables.com . This website is the best source of DIY content, cheap solutions, etc. If you post some guides there some may register at your forum aswell. Good luck! Keep us updated.
Vladk
andredesignz
good idea Idea
Ghost900
Getting a forum off the ground is an extremely hard thing to do and so it may be best to have other content on your site to attract other people.

I would also send an email to your friends and tell them to visit your forum so you have a little activity until others start to come.
guissmo
Zombie wrote:
This is a great way to attract your first visitors... Go to answers.yahoo.com then find a gardening question. Google the answer, or come up with it yourself. Then post the question and answer in your forum. Finally, post an answer to the original question at answers.yahoo.com, and in your answer say "I found the answer here yoursite.com/forum/topicnumber". This is great because it is an instant visitor as well as more visitors in the future when other users find the question at answers.yahoo.com... yahoo answers have high google ranks, and the incoming links are high quality.

This is a good way to do so.

Also you need a good push for your site so put in some high quality info. Hit the local library for stuff that the Internet doesn't know yet and put it there for everyone to see and discuss.
hunnyhiteshseth
You can also try posting atleast 5-10 threads everyday yourself. Then you can take forum-posting service in marketplace sub-forum or may be even professional-forum posting service.
This all will ensure quality content. Then, you need advertising. Advertise in frihost directory, link exchange sites & in other gardening related sites. And iif everything goes fine, you will start seeing some visitors!
Consider your gardening forum like a sapling, you need to water it & take care of it everyday unless it grows to a critical size, afteer which it can grow on its ow!
truespeed
You could try this..

Forumadvertiser

There are lots of similar sites out there.