FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recommend a launcher app

invizibility
Hi folks,

Can you recommend me a good launcher app? I've used the following:

Humanized Enso - Truly amazing work from Aza. But the local port 7070 is not working for me
Colibri - Works ok
Launchy - I dont think I like it a lot.

If there any other that you are aware of please do let me know.

I
Marte
I use slickrun, is a command aliases launcher, so you can name as "TV" the "C:\Program Files\Prolink\PlayTV Pro\PIXELTV.EXE", and with a simply keywords, launch your more usual programs.
Sphaerenkern
For Windows, I guess?
I use QuickSilver on my Mac, but it's mac-only... maybe you want to take a look here?
There are 10 alternatives for Windows, the launchers you have mentioned are there, too.
harismushtaq
So what is a launcher. An application that keeps track of other applications and makes is easy to launch them just by typing some characters of the name or summing thier icons in some specialized menu ?
Sphaerenkern
Yep.
Before you ask what purpose those launchers in times of docks and start menus have - all launchers I know (on mac) serve much, much more purposes than just launching applications and are said to raise your productivity significantly.
However, I only use Quicksilver as some fancy launcher and occasionaly to control iTunes.
harismushtaq
If that is the case than I think advanced operating systems like windows, mac and linux should have a good and powerful launcher app integrated within them like browsers, text editors and virus protection tools are now a days integrated.
Marcuzzo
I have used the one from Portable Apps and PStart, but one is too flashy and the other too simple.
I'm also open to new suggestions
snowboardalliance
I use something called Executor http://executor.dk/ and I've heard of Launchy a lot. (for windows)
Marcuzzo
Executor looks nice. I'm going to try it out
driftingfe3s
I've used Executor as well. It's very powerful and customizable.
snowboardalliance
driftingfe3s wrote:
I've used Executor as well. It's very powerful and customizable.

I do like it but has anyone noticed that it can be slow at times. Like I start typing something in and it slowly loads the list before I can type any more. I really like the concept, if only I could get it to work faster. Anyone have this issue?
guissmo
I just use Google Desktop and use the Ctrl Ctrl shortcut to make the search box appear. From there, I just type the program or whatever file I want. Of course, you have to turn on indexing.
Kashinilaya
Am I wrong to think that only professional software developers would need a specific laucher?