FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Call Center Representatives / Employees

Joanne
People say being a call center agent is a no-brainer job.
Some also believe that it's a waste of education when you work for a call center and you're a degree holder.
Like you sit, take calls, sit, take calls, sit, take calls.
Oh did I mention sit and take calls?

But do you really think that's all there is to it?
Do you really, REALLY think it's that easy?
If you do, think again.

Why don't we take a lil walk along the path that we reps walk through?
Heck yes, I AM a Customer Service Representative, so don't get any ideas! (kidding)

Lets' start with TRAINING:

Training period varies. One month? Two months? Two and a half probably?
That really depends on the account you will be handling. It could be sales, financial, technical support, etc.
Most of the time, the training period is divided into two.
╗First or second week is dedicated to knowing the background of the country you will be catering to (e.g. USA, UK, Australia, Etc.) and know their states and cities.
There's also English 101.
You need to sit and listen to your trainor yap about the basic to the most difficult stuff thrown at you and you're expected to understand each of it while taking the utmost care regarding your own grammar, sentence structure, tenses and the validity of whatever you're saying when you're asked to speak to the whole class. (Yes, one needs to be mindful of those I have mentioned because English is not everyone's first language.)
You need to stare at whatever's being shown through the projector, understand the manual/s in front of you and pass all the accreditations needed to be able to make it to the next step.
Which is the second part of the training.
╗We usually refer to this as the ProdSpecs or Product Specifics. This touches more on the product you will be selling (if you're on sales), assistance you'll be providing (if you're on customer service or on technical support) etc.
And this, my friends, could usually be nose bleed. (Well okei, not litereally, but the essence is there)

Afterwhich, should you pass this stage, we enter the LEARNING CURVE. (We also have several terms for that - ABAY, OCP - which basically means you apply what you have learned.
Oh yes, you'll be taking in live calls, talk to real customers, sell them whatever you're expected to sell, assist them with whatever you're supposed to assist them with, etc.

And believe me, while you're going through all these, your arse is still not safe because if you fail one of these steps, the company would have to consider letting you go.

Now, let's say you've passed all these craps (=P)...
As an AGENT, your burdens don't stop there.

Irrate callers are everywhere.
Demanding customers eat you.
Customers who curse and yells at you because you can't give in to their requests are always present in each day of your call shifts.
And yes, the hours of your work itself is not normal.
Imagine for night shift workers...
Getting all dressed up, make-up and all, at night to go to work.. Where not much people can even appreciate your beauty. Why? Cause they have gone home from their own jobs and are now taking a rest. For heaven's sake, it's night time!
Then the next day, you go home and bam!
Everyone on the street sees how you look like : all pressured and haggard from work.
So not fun.
And night life?
Yeah they exists.
But for us agents they may have existed from another lifetime...

Needless to say, in each call, you dont just simply talk to customers and take orders.
Or make sales.
Or assist them.
Or point them how the software should be installed.
Or have them sign up for a credit card.
Point is, it takes a good, able and working mind to talk to the customer, pasify them if they are irrate, hold your own temper when being cursed and yelled at, apply what you have learned in training about the product itself and navigate the system to search for whatever they need and be able to get yourself ready for the next call.
Simultaniously.
Yeah, we just sit here and take calls.
But we make our braincells run a million miles and function correctly.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their own opinion/s.
You may say "^%#$%@#$#, this post is a waste of time. I still think being an agent is a lowly job blah blah blah yada yada ya..."
Or maybe - and hopefully - this gave you a new perspective.
And respect for people who works in this kind of business.

What if we dare you to try and experience it yourself?
Do you think you'll be able to hold on?
Yes?

Well then, talk the talk and walk the walk.
=)
Bluedoll
Help desk is working . . . by Bluedoll

Hello Joanne, how may I help you? Very Happy

Please let me introduce myself. I've also been called a Customer Service Representative and a call center agent - that I believe is the standard classification. I never did like that designation. I preferred to simply say that I worked at a call centre on a help desk as a consultant. I know its a trifling minute change in categorizing your occupation but I did like to make that distinction.

I thought the work was extremely difficult and that one was subject to all kinds of stresses constantly. One of the greatest challenges for me was not to let myself be influenced by negativity or bully battering. Always my principal goal was simply to help other people and work with them as effectively as possible.

Yes, people do pigeon hole all the time and get preconceived notions about what a job or people are about. The truth is there are many different kinds of call centers, companies, products, and people working in them, just as there are many different customers.

I understand your post. I also understand the flip side of dealing with some representatives and centers that really do a very poor job of looking after customer needs. I’ve experienced both sides, both good and poor ways of dealing with issues.

May I make one small comment on your post not regarding the subject of call centers but the ‘attitude, feel, tone’ of your post in general. You seem to be ticked, venting and understandably so. Anger begets anger I suppose.

When discussing any of my help center experience, I always try to remember the compliments, the good calls, the excellent connections and that feeling of success, of a job well done.

I hope in some small way this post can help.
Joanne
Thanks for the post, Bluedoll.

And am glad to find a person who's been on the same business as I have been.

Yes, we're also referred to as consultants, it's actually better to the ears.

Anyways, it's not that I amventing because of the job.
I wouldnt still be in this industry if I don't like it.

It's more of those people who knows little to none about the nature of our work.

That's what ticks me more.
epspk
I used to work in a call center for 5 years and I loved it from the beginning and then I hated it in the end. Yes earned a lot of money from it, and I even got awards from being one of the best in our contact center, but then again, its the daily repetitive tasks we have to do and the constant haggling or debating with people over the phone. Today my profession is teaching, and I like it a lot. I get to really talk to people face to face than over the phone. The pay is less, but at the end of the day, I don't feel like I wasted the whole day talking to people who don't really care about me, I feel accomplished and well relaxed and very much like a human being again. In every job there's always the bottom line, being in a call center, the bottom line is always business... in teaching, the bottom line is results and a smile from student's faces.
friCall
I agree with that “Epspk” that in every job there is always he bottom line. In depends on where you are happy to work and working in call canter is also a profession. You are working there to talk different person and talk stuff and for me is good and interesting work.
isabella18
I agree with Joanne and Bluedoll. Working in a Call Center Industry is not a job for the ones who strive for an easy work work environment. There are a lot of tasks to perform, a lot of notes to remember, and a lot of patience to have. So the people shouldnt belittle the people who work in this industry. Aside from that, they are the ones who helps you when you are having problems with some products. I have a lot of friends who work in <removed>, and they tell me ow difficult and rewarding the job is.
deanhills
I've never worked in a Call Centre before, but I remember how difficult it was to sort out a problem with PayPal. There was a bug in PayPal in that it does not provide for the fact that the name on your credit card could be different than the name you registered with. And then when I wanted to change it, everything went in a loop. I had to get to a Supervisor Status Call Centre Agent before I could get that fixed, and it took ages to get to the Supervisor. Then when he found he could not fix it, I had to ask him to delete my account. Then the worst part was when I recreated a new account, PayPal recognized my name and assumed I had used the initial credit that came with the account. I then had to phone PayPal again, go into the ring a ring a rosies system, and had to get to a Supervisor to delete the account again. That was my last association with PayPal!

What I'm trying to get to here is that a Call Centre cannot be better than the product it has to support. If you have a product that is a headache, then you are going to get headaches coming your way. Anyone working in the PayPall Call Centre for example will have to have an incredible positive mental attitude to survive the job. I take my hat off for the person!
iman
isabella18 wrote:
I agree with Joanne and Bluedoll. Working in a Call Center Industry is not a job for the ones who strive for an easy work work environment. There are a lot of tasks to perform, a lot of notes to remember, and a lot of patience to have. So the people shouldnt belittle the people who work in this industry. Aside from that, they are the ones who helps you when you are having problems with some products.

Agree with that. Handling several furious callers each day totally isn't easy.
watersoul
I worked at a call centre for a few months some years ago, and yes it could be challenging sometimes - as any job dealing with people can be.
To me though, work is just work, no matter what you do, after a while it always gets boring, and getting up out of bed each day is always what I feel I'm paid for, the job itself doesn't matter to me usually, just the money I'm paid!

I'm always respectful to the poor souls I have to speak to at call centres though, they're only doing a job and whatever issue I may have with the company is never their personal fault, even if they are representing the business via the phone.
rohan5039
This kind of job demands a lot of hard work and elasticity in your attitude for better response. Because sometimes people don't wanna talk to you and not interested to buy your product so then they don't want to talk to you or listen to info for the product you have one. And sometimes people don't have itme to receive a call from their hard phones.

You can face any kind of customers in your call centre career, some times you have a lot of sales and sometimes get call backs just. And sometimes no response.
monib
there are two types of call center usually.first in which you call the people and tell them about your company products in other words it can be say that you are doing tale marketing.in second way people call you and ask the solution of their problems,
shivaghimire
I think this is a good job. We need to have helthy mind to impress other and to give services to them receiving calls with unknown person, to make them believe upon the provided service is not an easy task.
Ryox
This job is nice and I wouldn't mind working in a Call Center. Though handling issues with people that is constantly yelling at you and making you feel down you would want to curse. But because you learned how to do the job properly, You can take what you learned and learn how to get around that without pissing off the people you're trying to help with Customer Service.

As for me, I can control what I say and what I do and the steps of learning would be quite hard for me to understand a few couple of times so I'd have to be shown how to do the steps though I wouldn't mind taking calls and learning how to help someone that way.

That would be good experience for any person to learn. Learning on how to control their anger while doing a scenario with the job you're learning!

I know alot of people agree It's hard to learn a job when you're a First Timer but it's well worth the headache! Alot of games I play have really bad customer service but they do TRY to help their customers but with constantly people complaining about their job ethics they can't even get their work done and have to have someone else take the call "via call que" because they have more "Experience" in that kind of work and people get mad because they think we are all suppose to already know how to do the job when we're "First Timers"

NOT everyone knows how to do a job properly and they always get criticized on their work.
Ankhanu
Ive had a few jobs over the years, and by far, the two positions I've had in call centres were, by far, the worst I've had. Terrible job format… terrible. I would much rather do gross manual labour than sit in another call centre (and yes, I have experience with dirty manual jobs).

Both call centres I worked for were outgoing sales. I did ok at the second one, didn't do so hot at the first one; I'm still not convinced that the first one was entirely legit. I did ok selling over the phone, I normally met or exceeded my sales quotas, and I've been told my phone voice is quite good, and I tend to think relatively quickly. That said, I hate talking on the phone, even to my friends, and I have some moral standards that make it very difficult for me to impose on others, especially when that imposition results in loss for them (e.g. financial). These are both key aspect of successful telemarketing. As a result, I was utterly miserable at the job. The misery I felt became psychosomatic, and I was physically ill every day I was at work; I was just fine on my days off, but sick every day at work.
I lasted about 5 months on the job, before I happily put in my 2 weeks notice to go back to classes.

My take on telemarketing jobs pretty much follows: Phoning people who don't want to talk to you to sell them crap they don't want. The model is bound to lead to misery for everyone involved Razz Almost no one working at a call centre actually likes the job, it's a job worked out of necessity. There are a minority of people in any given centre that genuinely enjoy and excel at the job… I don't relate to them at all Wink and they are a minority.
FastDebrid
The first job I had was in a famous telecomm company in its call center.
The training was rigorous. It was a month in classroom environment and another month in taking calls. There were exams each week to see if we passed and qualified.
It was really tough and made me doubt my skills at times but thank God, by His grace, I became a live agent. I just had a difficult time because I was not good in making conversations with irate people.
There were calls wherein the customer was really pissed and was voicing it out to me.
It was really stressful, for me. There were several days I wished I didn't have to go to work or for the shift to already be over. I was not made for the job so I resigned. I miss my team though. They were really nice. God is really kind because He doesn't allow us to suffer in every aspect. There would always be an up to any down.
I only had that job for less than six months. The pay was really good but other than the stress, it was starting to conflict with my schedule at the university.
LegendVPN
FastDebrid wrote:
The first job I had was in a famous telecomm company in its call center.
The training was rigorous. It was a month in classroom environment and another month in taking calls. There were exams each week to see if we passed and qualified.
It was really tough and made me doubt my skills at times but thank God, by His grace, I became a live agent. I just had a difficult time because I was not good in making conversations with irate people.
There were calls wherein the customer was really pissed and was voicing it out to me.
It was really stressful, for me. There were several days I wished I didn't have to go to work or for the shift to already be over. I was not made for the job so I resigned. I miss my team though. They were really nice. God is really kind because He doesn't allow us to suffer in every aspect. There would always be an up to any down.
I only had that job for less than six months. The pay was really good but other than the stress, it was starting to conflict with my schedule at the university.

Wow.,I didn't think of it that way.