FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB 3.0

Nolt
Maybe some ppl know that (its almost sure) in this year we will see in new motherboards fresh ports for USB 3.0. Speed of transfering data is more than 10x times faster than 2.0 (it's about 4,8 Gb/s). On CeBIT was presented first motherboards P55 with USB 3.0.

Jaan
I think this is coming out in late 09 early 2010... I don't know if I should wait to buy a usb 3 laptop or just get a cheap one... we'll see..

hopefully you will be able to upgrade desktops to usb 3 with a card or something Smile
snowboardalliance
Jaan wrote:
I think this is coming out in late 09 early 2010... I don't know if I should wait to buy a usb 3 laptop or just get a cheap one... we'll see..

hopefully you will be able to upgrade desktops to usb 3 with a card or something Smile

Of course there's not much you can do with a usb 3 port without usb 3 devices...I'm sure (hoping..?) it's backwards compatible, but I don't think it will be useful for a couple of years. Or maybe companies will start coming out with usb3 cables quickly for their devices, who knows.
Donutey
It is backwards compatible if I remember right, although it uses a different set of pins in the connector.
psycosquirrel
Part of the USB specification (for 1.x to 2.x) is to be backwards-compatible with all previous devices. I don't see why they would change spec.

I can't wait until 3.0 is widespread. It is going to be WAY faster than USB 2.x and firewire, nearly as fast as SATA. Awesome.
ForceRun
Yeah it will be sweet speeds! I just hope they will stick to one connector, unlike USB 2 that has tons of different connectors, and you have to get a converter for almost every device.
snowboardalliance
ForceRun wrote:
Yeah it will be sweet speeds! I just hope they will stick to one connector, unlike USB 2 that has tons of different connectors, and you have to get a converter for almost every device.

Seems like that is up to the company that makes the device. I believe there is like a standard and a mini standard connection and I have lots of devices that use the same cable even though they are made by different brands. The problem is Apple has it's proprietary ipod connector, and now the zune uses it's own connection. But I feel like every digital camera I've seen uses a standard.
emdaikho
i like USB 3.0 so much
emdaikho
but i dont have money enought to buy it
weableandbob
Looks good, although the connector looks like some mutant baby from a USB and mini USB =P
no2joinmovie
Quote:
Speed of transfering data is more than 10x times faster than 2.0

OMG ... Shocked
malcolmpreen
That is very interesting...is there any indication as to the cost of these devices/cables in comparison to USB 2?

Malcolm
c'tair
Great, I wonder how that will increase some speeds when MANY flash cards, usb drives etc. use cheap memory with speeds of 5/20 w/r? USB 2.0 has 480mb/s but how many devices use that capability?
abo_mariam
I heard that it's going to use some additional fiber optic pins
with this speed we will be able to connect a lot of additional peripherals to our computer as it was on it's bus
Jamestf347
Rumor is speed is 5.2-5.4 Gb/s. It's definantly faster than IEEE 1394b or 'firewire'. You will need a new motherboard for it, that's the only downside I see as well as getting a device that actually is compatbable.
Flakky
Jamestf347 wrote:
Rumor is speed is 5.2-5.4 Gb/s. It's definantly faster than IEEE 1394b or 'firewire'. You will need a new motherboard for it, that's the only downside I see as well as getting a device that actually is compatbable.
Eventually in the future all devices run on USB 3.0. It's new so let companies adapt, that always happens. It's not that when 2.0 came out the companies first build devices before 2.0 existed.
ravikanth
what is meant by backward compatibility?
pumpin
Quote:

what is meant by backward compatibility?

Backward compatibility simply means USB 3.0 device been able to accept USB 2.0 or 1.0 connector with having to buy expensive any hardware or software. Wink
I really hope it is too and am anxiously waiting for it Laughing
ravikanth
Thank you. But clearly the pin seems to be quite different from a normal usb.
Flakky
ravikanth wrote:
I don't think they will be compatible as well. What I do think that for the next year or two companies start producing motherboards with at least one USB3.0 slot and all the others will remain 2.0.
ravikanth
Sounds very practical. Any idea on how this thing is so fast compared to USB 3.0?
Flakky
ravikanth wrote:
Sounds very practical. Any idea on how this thing is so fast compared to USB 3.0?
Did you mean how fast the 3.0 is compared to the 2.0? I don't know how those smart guys invented this just now and not years ago.
ravikanth
Sorry for the wrong framing of the sentence. I was referring to the technical details. Why is USB 3.0 faster compared to USB 2.0?
Jean-Clod
Flakky wrote:
ravikanth wrote:
I don't think they will be compatible as well. What I do think that for the next year or two companies start producing motherboards with at least one USB3.0 slot and all the others will remain 2.0.

Well, that's amazing, because the exact definition of backwards compatible means that both can use the same port (ie 1.X/2.0)

We'll see how it works! Smile
Jamestf347
This is going to take time to incorporate devices etc. for, cause more people are going to have 2.0 at the time 3.0 comes out, some people won't know the difference, only the tech savvy people really will.
Asap170
This is going to be major 4,8Gb/s Crazy!
ssweat
I just upgraded my whole computer system. Hopefully the change is slow. I can't afford to do this too often. I am completely fine with USB2.0 speeds, but am curious to see how much difference it will make.
Parkour_Jarrod
Ive seen some reports of it alreayd being released Surprised and the pictures ive seen of it looks different. the ones ive seen are like USB 2.0 but with an extra pin.

The female side IS backwards compatable (if you mean you can connect USB 2.0 into it) it has the USB 2.0 pins on the top and the USB 3.0 pins on the bottom Cool Cool