FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What graphic format to use, answers

raildr
Great article on graphic formats. If you ever wondered which one, give it a look. It is well written, and the web site is well layed out.

http://toolkit.crispen.org/formats/index.html

Also, surf back to the home page, lots of stuff here.

http://toolkit.crispen.org/
htmlmaster
Nice find. A bit robust, so if anyone wants a quick summary:

.gif -Good for small files, 256 colors, so don't use it for pictures
.jpeg -More colors, more memory efficentcy
.png -LOTs of colors, usually higher file size, but it depends on the image.
S3nd K3ys
htmlmaster wrote:

PNGs are usually smaller because it allows really small (as small as 2-color) pallette. Of course, a 2-color image isn't really all that useful unless you don't have any diagonal lines or curves. Small pallette = smaller file size. GIFs just don't compare to PNG's in size for the most part, and in my opinion, the quality (visual aspect) is better as well.

The only time I use GIF's any more is for animations.

jpegs are great for pictures or hi color.
m_furquan36
Choice of graphic formats for websites varies. There are excellent format out there like PNG and JPG's which can be use without compression, YET their compression technology is also capable of yielding fantastic results! I personally prefer PNG's for Header Logo's and buttonsand JPG's for photo shots.

P.S: BTW I use flash for my sites, so theres no formating there in vectors!!! Wink
Tieskevo
i prefer JPG above all other picture formats, it has an high quality colors.. not as high as png though.. but it is mostly much smaller (file size) then a png image.. so it results to an fast and good looking website...

if you have an nice layout ofcourse...
jordanh77
I would have to agree with most of the comments here, although I think the .gif format is extremely usefull for text based graphics, especially if you want to keep file sizes to a minimum.
bogden
thats good to know (about png's)
i thought they were only good for an almost lossless hi-quality use.
but it sounds like they're good for replacing (non animated) GIFs.
thanks, i give it a try
bogden
i should add,
>>>>>> the one thing people should know ::::::
for low-detail, large one-color area pictures, JPEG is not good (filesize)
GIF, or PNG, are MUCH better.
jupenz
Here's some helpful tips dealing with graphic formats... let say for example you are working for your photoblog or a graphic gallery...here's what you can do to optimize the speed of your site.

1.) Make sure all your small thumbnails are set to .gif format that will listen the bytes of your thumbnails and for it to load quickly.

2.) All your large images will be set to .jpg format...and has a bigger amount of bytes...but you can listen the bytes by using some photo editors... You can open your .jpeg images in Microsoft Photo Editor and go to Image dn apply Auto Contrast then save your images. Then try to check the size of the files. You can also use Photoshop for it...dn go to Images and then Adjustments dn Auto Contrast.

that's a simple tips...that i usually do when creating a blog site or a photo gallery site! hope that'd help! Smile
win66
htmlmaster wrote:

Agree.Usually I use gif and jpeg format .For png format picture, i will convert to jpeg .
Ashims
If only we could use png all the time.

Be forewarned, transparency in png DOES NOT WORK in internet explorer. In other words, if you're wanting to use transparency in your layering of images and text or icons or whatever, even though png is MUCH BETTER THAN GIF AT HANDLING THIS you should probably try your hardest to get it working as a gif or change your idea.

Cheers.
Ash.
Nillis
I like the .png format because it can store information on layers as opposed to .jpg and .gif.

This functionality allows me to make changes to my images quickly when working with Fireworks and Dreamweaver. All I have to do is save the image in Fireworks and hit refresh on the webpage.
When working with .psd images in photoshop I had to choose save as.. and find the right location and save it as .jpg, plus this would leave me with 2 files for every image, which can be very confusing.

When not making a website, I still use Photoshop of course. It is simply the best.
heavenlycharmed
I normally use jpg for everything, which i know i shouldn't, but when i save anything in gif it ends up looking funny- even a simple line drawing. Also, what program do you have to have to save an image as .png?
shabda
most graphic packages allow you save in pngs.
photoshop, gimp do. but when i try to save as png in photoshop it always gives me bigger files size than gifs. this happens with default setting. can anyone look into this?