FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Wlan receiver and switch" in one

steve1200
Does something like a wireless-lan receiver and switch in exist?

We have a wireless lan at home and i would like to play my ps2-games online. But the ps2 is in the cellar so there is no network cable down there...
Craeft
I think I am kinda confused at the question. Any router can be used as a switch.

So you have WiFi set up at your house and you want to hook the PS2 into the router. If the router is WiFi, can you take it to the basement where the PS2 is, hook the PS2 through Cat5E, and run the WiFi throughout the house from there?

If this is a signal loss issue (once the router is in the basement), you can try to turn the antennaes horizontally to allow for horizontal polarization and see if that helps. If not, you can get a WiFi amplifier (they're usually around $15-20 for what you would need it for... and that would be overkill) that hooks up to your antenna connector. TO give you an idea of the amp's ability, we were getting zero signal running on a 19dbi parabolic, trying to hit our aunt .75 miles away. We hooked up this amp and she gets almost full signal. They are within legal transmission limits, so no worries there. I believe they are 250mW. You can get the 500mW flavor, if you need it. But I think the 250 would be overkill for you.
psycosquirrel
You would need some sort of proprietary "Playstation 2 Wireless Network Adapter."

Nothing exists, that I know of. You might be out of luck.

Your other option would to have a computer in the basement hooked up to the wireless, then have it act as a gateway to share the connection with the PS2... Do you have a computer in the basement that is hooked up to the wireless?
Kelvin
I wouldn't suggest transmitting your wireless router from under the cellar due to the large signal loss that will occur by the time it reaches the receiver especially if the receiver is on the 1st floor of the house. Unless your computer also resides in the cellar, then you just have to use the wireless router to transmit with ease. Most wireless routers come with 4 LAN ports for connecting other devices via wires.

You can still try the suggestions given above or alternatively, you can go out and purchase one of those electric cable to LAN socket converter that creates a virtual wired LAN connection via your household electric cabling. It usually comes as a pair so just plug on close to your PS2 and the other next to the router/wirelss router, link them using LAN cables and you are set to go.

An example of how this thing works can be found on the following link:
http://www.dotasg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2487
Craeft
Kelvin wrote:
I wouldn't suggest transmitting your wireless router from under the cellar due to the large signal loss that will occur by the time it reaches the receiver especially if the receiver is on the 1st floor of the house.

I disagree with this 100%. Having shot WiFi three-quarters of a mile with signal maintaining a 75% stability, I don't think 30 feet is going to make much difference.

Quote:

You can still try the suggestions given above or alternatively, you can go out and purchase one of those electric cable to LAN socket converter that creates a virtual wired LAN connection via your household electric cabling. It usually comes as a pair so just plug on close to your PS2 and the other next to the router/wirelss router, link them using LAN cables and you are set to go.

I wouldn't recommend this because it can cause serious 60Hz interference. However, on that line of thinking, there IS a WiFi adapter that hooks up to Cat5E. I can't remember what it's called exactly, though. But it's basically a mini external WiFi card with one ethernet port, some circuitry, and an antenna. I have never used them, so I don't know what kind of set-up it would take nor do I know if you can even set it up with a PS.
Skye001
You can get a normal wireless router to act as an access point, connect that your primary router via wireless. use an rj45 to ps2 to access point and bada bing your done, relatively easy!