FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best time/date format on websites

Peterssidan
What is the most user friendly time/date format?
I find it hard to know which format to use for a global audience. Different parts of the world are used to different formats.
Here on frihost I can see the following format: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 pm
But if I use the ISO standard I get: 2009-03-03 16:57
And there is many more ways to do it.
I'm not sure what I think is more user friendly. Be able to see the day of the week (Tue..) is useful if you don't know exactly what date it is today but I also think that the ISO way is much more clean and easier to read.
If the user has an account it's possible to let the user choose the time/date format but often that is not the case. In either case it's good to have a good default format. but what should it be?
Any thoughts?
kacsababa
I prefer relative dates too, so 5 minutes ago, 1 day ago etc. And I like the ISO format, in Hungary the order is the same (year, month, day, time).
Stick to your audiance's country. Ofcourse if your visitors from all over the globe it could be hard to choose. Smile

Check out this map from wikipedia:

Date Formats on the Map

dd/mm/yyyy
dd/mm/yyyy and yyyy/mm/dd
yyyy/mm/dd
mm/dd/yyyy
mm/dd/yyyy and dd/mm/yyyy
mm/dd/yyyy, dd/mm/yyyy, and yyyy/mm/dd

Anyhow I think people can read the dates even if it's not in their country's format. Laughing
rockacola
International format, aka/ ISO yyyy-mm-dd HH:mm:ss

Reason I use ISO as my default date time format is... mostly is because it's sortable, and that's the format used in database.

I would include relative time (eg/ 3 hours ago) just so people don't get confused Rolling Eyes