FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Network cable is disconnected" message

titus1972
I keep getting this message, even though the cable is NOT disconnected. I successfully had a home network for about two years, and then suddenly this message popped up.. On the host computer, it only happens to the card that I'm using for the network, but on the other computer it happens to both cards. I've replaced the cards, swapped the cables around, and even replaced the Cat 5 cable. Nothing has helped. Can anybody give me some more
sonam
Did you check your network or modem drivers. Maybe is just stoped some driver.

Sonam
ocalhoun
Is your network working correctly despite this message, or does it go down when the message appears?

Also, some versions of windows will only support one installed network card. You might want to try un-installing the driver for the card that isn't being used in the computer with two cards. I doubt that will fix the problem, but who knows?
Craeft
First, go into your network info and make sure the card is enabled. If so, right-click and go to properties. click on TCP/IP and click on Configure. Make sure there is either a static IP address or that the DHCP radio button is selected. If that is not the issue:

Go into your command prompt and type:

ping 127.0.0.1

If you get a ping response, move on to step 3. If you do not, you have an internal problem and need to reinstall your TCP/IP

If you get a response, type:

ping [insert your computer's 192.168.xxx.xxx IP address]

If you get a ping response, move on to pinging your router IP (internal side). This is where the ping SHOULD stop.

If this is the case, try uninstalling/reinstalling your NIC. If that does not work, make sure the card is inserted securely.

Due to the fact that it is happening on more than one computer, I pin primary blame on either the router not allocating an IP as it should, or on the IP addresses not being in the same network. Do you have a new router? for instance... some (2Wire for example) default to 192.168.1.xxx. while the majority default to 192.168.0.xxx.

Make sure that the network on each card is in conjunction with the network on the router.

Try these steps and post back. Let us know where you're at with it. Good luck.
albuferque
"One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in set of instructions called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become corrupted. If you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it.

Because TCP/IP is a core component of Windows, you cannot remove it. However, you can reset TCP/IP to its original state by using the NetShell utility (netsh).

This article describes two ways to use the NetShell utility to reset TCP/IP. The first method describes how to use Guided Help to reset TCP/IP. You must be logged on to the computer as an administrator and use Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition on your computer to use Guided Help. This method is designed for beginning to intermediate users.

The second method describes how to use a command to reset TCP/IP manually. This method is designed for advanced users."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
Craeft
I love stereotypical tech support responses. The ones where the tech support rep doesn't actually read the problem, but sees a key word and sends a form response.
Jaan
can you stil use the internet?
you might be confusing your internet connection with one that you don't need and that's disconnected (fax or something)

just check... cheers
malcolmpreen
Recently (see post about NEC support) I have had intermittent problems with the network interface on the motherboard.... the "not connected" icon would show.... and following a reboot, the interface would not even show in device manager...

Eventually it came back.... and then went again....

I am avoiding the problem by having installed a separate network card - so when the network on the motherboard is working I have the "not connected" icon... .because there is no cable....

Malcolm