FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the difference between the q6600 series chip anf the i7

titus1972
What is the difference between and quadcore chip like the q6600 for example and the Intel Core i7. Now i don't mean the exact gigahertz difference I mean my q6600 is fairly new tech what can this i7 chip have over the q6600 is the new technology in the i7 really any better than the q6600 or 6700 and how?
ForceRun
They are much better. The GHz have not moved much sence the P4 days, what they change is the core architecture. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/3DMark-Vantage-CPU,817.html Here is Toms hardware CPU Charts from Last year. In some cases rated at the same Ghz i.e. 3.0Ghz the new core I7 is 40%. If I had the cash I would get one right now. If you are going to get a new system, right now the Core i7 is by far the one to get if you plan to do anything more then use the internet with the system.
Donutey
For dollar per performance either Core 2 or Phenom II are the best bet. For the best overall performance i7 beats core 2 and phenom II in pretty much everything. You should remember that although the actual i7 processors are not terribly expensive, expect to pay upwards of $300 for a motherboard that supports i7.
ForceRun
That was true at release, there are a good number of motherboards for the i7's for $200, take a look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280%201070645357&name=Core%20i7