FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why did remote assistance mess up my keyboard?

DoctorBeaver
Yesterday I used MSN remote assistance to take control of a friend's computer. Having completed my task I released control only to find that my keyboard was mapped to all the wrong keys. Instead of letters I was getting characters such as -, @ and .

I tried various things and even re-booted but the problem persisted. I had to do a system restore to get the keyboard working correctly again.

I was using an Advent Notebook and my friend has an HP desktop. Both are running Windows XP. All I'd done was check the driver for my friend's CD drive as she didn't know how to do it and remote assistance was easier than trying to explain what to do via MSN IM.

Has anyone else ever had or heard of this problem? Or does anyone have any idea what may have caused it?
HamsterMan
Try changing the keyboard layout in control panel > regional and language options > languages > details.
DoctorBeaver
I tried all of that. I fixed the problem with a restore. I just wondered if anyone else had had this and if they know what caused it.
Diablosblizz
I believe that's happened to me after Remote Assistance, although a restart quickly fixed it.
DoctorBeaver
Do you know why it happened?
Diablosblizz
Unfortunately I don't. Perhaps it's getting messed up if your and his/her computer had a different keyboard layout. That's my only idea though. There might be more if you Google if you haven't already.
DoctorBeaver
We both use standard UK keyboards. I had a quick search on Google but didn't find anything.

It's not too important as I managed to sort it out, so if it ever happens again I'll know what to do. I'm just puzzled by it.

Thanks for your replies anyway.